FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

I'm not giving up, FFG! Alpha XG-1 Starwing Assault Gunboat, Blast Boat, and R-41 Star Chaser, please!

The R-41 is actually a pretty compelling case for a Rebel cannon carrier with low point cost.  Basically Z-95's with a cannon instead of missiles, maybe even illicit slots.

The new canonical Z-95 actually has 1 nose Ion Cannon.

I wish FFG releases something like this:

x_wing_miniatures_game___custom_upgrade_

I went to the Wookiepedia article for the new canon Z-95 and it lists both concussion missiles and the ion canon as modifications. Would that mean it's one or the other? If so, the upgrade card should be to replace the missile icon with a cannon icon.

Which incidentally would also have the effect of duplicating Mara Jade's custom Z-95 from Legends.

Yeah I was kinda thinking that... Z-95's with ion cannons, where did that come from?

I don't know where it started, but in the game Star Wars Commander the Ion cannon is actually a highlight on the Z-95.

http://www.star-wars-commander.com/rebel/z-95-headhunter

PS: there are all sorts for Z95s. Some added by the books, some added by Star Wars Galaxies. Here are some variants. (there is a bomber, one with more missiles, one with 3 lasers, one with 2 crew...)

Edited by Odanan

I went to the Wookiepedia article for the new canon Z-95 and it lists both concussion missiles and the ion canon as modifications. Would that mean it's one or the other? If so, the upgrade card should be to replace the missile icon with a cannon icon.

Which incidentally would also have the effect of duplicating Mara Jade's custom Z-95 from Legends.

It looks like the Rebels fielded Z95s with both missiles and the Ion Cannon, but the text isn't very clear.

What if you took some Z95s and glued them together at the wing tips into a Gunboat shape? I dunno whether you'd need three or five - how wide is a Gunboat compared to a Headhunter?

That would at least be a bit more balanced, but one would think you should increase the cost to at least 2 or 3 points not just 1.

The cannon slot is much better than having to rely on ion missiles to do the job, and a cannon is much more cost effective- doesnt require a target lock, and it can fire more than once!

That would at least be a bit more balanced, but one would think you should increase the cost to at least 2 or 3 points not just 1.

The cannon slot is much better than having to rely on ion missiles to do the job, and a cannon is much more cost effective- doesnt require a target lock, and it can fire more than once!

Since it is just 1 gun in the ship, I was thinking in the title reducing the cannon red dices in 1, so the Z-95 would be less damage dealer and more utilitarian (as it should be).

Do you mean reducing it "by 1" so if a Heavy Laser Cannon was on it, then it would only roll 3 (not 4). Even still a point increase and replaceing the missile slot needs to be a thing, to balance it against one shot missiles. Especially since as I said before missiles require a TL or Focus to fire, which is even more rough compared to a cannon that can be fired multiple times and without an action to fire.

Edited by knavelead

Reducing dice by 1 one cannons would be fine for the HLC but would make the other cannons much, much less useful.  2 dice that don't get range bonuses on a ship that doesn't have easy access to multiple actions sounds bad.

Mmm.  Might be better to impose a maximum on either the cannon price or its attack value.

^+1

I don't think gunboat should get a canon. Yes it's called a gunboat but it's not accurate to the Tie Fighter lore. It was more a tanky missile/torpedo platform and heavy dogfighters that was near equivalent to an xwing in manuvourability

^+1

I don't think gunboat should get a canon. Yes it's called a gunboat but it's not accurate to the Tie Fighter lore. It was more a tanky missile/torpedo platform and heavy dogfighters that was near equivalent to an xwing in manuvourability

A gunboat that can't ion isn't a gunboat.