FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

I promised the universe that if FFG ever released gunboats for Xwing, I would fly them for a full year. Well, I have stuck to my word and this weekend sees the end of the Year of the Gunboat (I dont think I will make it to any events in December). For about 8 events over 12 months, I have flown a squad with at least 1 gunboat in it, most often though flying a squad of just 3 gunboats.

I flew 3 gunboats at store events and regionals in 1.0 where I lost every game, I flew them in 2.0 along with TIE Bombers and placed second at a store event last month. I have SLAMmed into rocks, fired ion cannons, reloaded and fired torpedoes on the same turn, I have lodged 3 harpoons in a Scrugg that subsequently killed half my squad when I got a RB1 crit in to finish a game.

What will I do now that the Year of the Gunboat is over?...wait for the Few Months of the Vulture to start. In the meantime though, my Defenders need to see some 2.0 table time...although a Nu boat with Ion Cannon, Xg-1, Adv Proton Torps has been really fun to fly. The obligation might be coming to a close but I think I will still like flying me some Star Wings.

2 hours ago, DarkHorse said:

I promised the universe that if FFG ever released gunboats for Xwing, I would fly them for a full year. Well, I have stuck to my word and this weekend sees the end of the Year of the Gunboat (I dont think I will make it to any events in December). For about 8 events over 12 months, I have flown a squad with at least 1 gunboat in it, most often though flying a squad of just 3 gunboats.

I flew 3 gunboats at store events and regionals in 1.0 where I lost every game, I flew them in 2.0 along with TIE Bombers and placed second at a store event last month. I have SLAMmed into rocks, fired ion cannons, reloaded and fired torpedoes on the same turn, I have lodged 3 harpoons in a Scrugg that subsequently killed half my squad when I got a RB1 crit in to finish a game.

What will I do now that the Year of the Gunboat is over?...wait for the Few Months of the Vulture to start. In the meantime though, my Defenders need to see some 2.0 table time...although a Nu boat with Ion Cannon, Xg-1, Adv Proton Torps has been really fun to fly. The obligation might be coming to a close but I think I will still like flying me some Star Wings.

Having played that much with the gunboat:

• Would you say it was a burden most of the time to bring one, compared with what else you could have brought?
  • Would you say it is in much worse place in 2.0 than in 1.0?
  • Would you say the gunboat needs something in 2.0 to be viable, or is it already fine as it is?

In my opinion;

• Would you say it was a burden most of the time to bring one, compared with what else you could have brought?
  • The top ace is very much worth bringing but the other ships just don't seem to be able to pull their weight.
  • Sadly yes. The ship itself hasn't changed but what it can use has.  In 1.0 it was mostly used with Harpoons (overpowered) and HLC.  Both of these are now gone as has long range sensors.   I have flown the gunboats a fair bit in 2.0 and found that the cannons are pretty worthless.  Yes you can run ion cannon gunboats but their damage output is pretty bad. I would much rather they just had a normal 3 red dice blaster shot like a basic X-wing.  You can run them with torps but it can be very difficult to get full mods on them.
  • Would you say the gunboat needs something in 2.0 to be viable, or is it already fine as it is?
  • They need some decent cannons and better aces

3 hours ago, Azrapse said:

1 - when they are good, they are great. When they just cannot get time on target, they are frustrating with their slow turn around.

2 - I couldn't win a game with them in 1.0 and am on 75% win margin with them in 2.0 but some of that has to be the efficiency of the barrage Scimitar wingmates.

3 - I think they are fine. Not great but fine. The aces are lackluster for pilot ability but the humble Rho does some good work. Xg-1, ion cannon, adv proton torp is a go to config that has done a lot of heavy lifting for me against small base aces. Land that first ion token and the enemy ace is in trouble, going to get herded and then hit for 5 red dice torp. But yeah, some aces with interesting abilities and baked in Adv SLAM would be good. As is, they are fine.

Alpha-class Star Wing - Rho Squadron Pilot - 50
    Rho Squadron Pilot - (37)
        Crack Shot (1)
        Fire-Control System (3)
        Proton Torpedoes (9)
        Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)

Crack Shot (1)
        Fire-Control System (3)
        Proton Torpedoes (9)
        Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)

Crack Shot (1)
        Fire-Control System (3)
        Proton Torpedoes (9)
        Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)

Lambda-class T-4a Shuttle - •Colonel Jendon - 49
    •Colonel Jendon - Darth Vader’s Shuttle Pilot (46)
        Hull Upgrade (3)

Total: 199/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

20 hours ago, DarkHorse said:

You, Sir, are my new hero. 

*bows*

An addendum to my story, I flew a Nu boat with XG1, Ion Cannon and Advanced Proton Torpedo at a store event today. 2 games in a row, my solitary Nu boat blasted Scum Han Solo out of the sky with an APT. Han felt safe with 4-5 Hull remaining, I set a trap with my Bombers to block and blam, Han disintegrated with a RB1 torpedo right in the engine. It felt so good and a fitting send off.

Maybe I will keep flying them. ;)

On 11/23/2018 at 3:14 AM, Azrapse said:

For context, I think it was one of the strongest ships in Empire in 1e.

I haven't had too many 2e gunboat games, but they don't necessarily seem bad, just not as great as many other Imperial ships.  TIE Bombers are super cheap.  Phantoms are really strong.  Redline is amazing (and takes over the role that a single Starwing would fill).  TIE Interceptors are cost-effective for the sort of high-risk-high-reward ships they are.  TIE Defenders got heavily taxed, but are still worth it.  Lambda shuttles got super buffed.  Being an "average" ship in an above-average faction is going to mean it mostly gets left out.

Does it need something?  I dunno.  I'd love to see Advanced SLAM go down in price, maybe even to 1 point.  That'd be nice for both Gunboats and K-Wings.  If the Gunboats also dropped 1 point each, I don't think that'd be bad.

But consider that one ship which really competes with the role a Gunboat would fill is Redline.  Buffing Starwings to the level of Redline seems like it'd be a bad idea (1e power creep all over again), since Redline is a bit ahead of the ideal balance point.  Juke Phantoms are also probably ahead of the curve.  I think the distance between Redline and Starwings could be closed a little, but the direction of the close?  Hard to say.  Maybe a little of both.

Redline is likely underpriced though. If you compare the Nu to the Cutlass, it seems more reasonable. The Nu is faster, more agile, a point cheaper, and can reload and fire immediately. Cutlass is tougher, can reposition and lock without an additional upgrade, and roll and K-turn makes it a much better knife(ish) fighter.

On 11/23/2018 at 5:24 PM, Blademaster72 said:

Crack Shot (1)
        Fire-Control System (3)
        Proton Torpedoes (9)
        Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)

Crack Shot (1)
        Fire-Control System (3)
        Proton Torpedoes (9)
        Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)

Crack Shot (1)
        Fire-Control System (3)
        Proton Torpedoes (9)
        Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)

Lambda-class T-4a Shuttle - •Colonel Jendon - 49
    •Colonel Jendon - Darth Vader’s Shuttle Pilot (46)
        Hull Upgrade (3)

Total: 199/200

Crack shot is primary only.

1 hour ago, All Shields Forward said:

Are people finding Ion/APT to be better than Ion/Proton? I tried the APT version and while I could have flown a lot better, I have concerns about APT being too limited in arc, where proton has more consistent use.

I like APT because they are cheaper and combo very well with the ion cannon.  I like them with FCS, as you can pick up a lock early, use fcs until you land an ion, then jump into range one with a focus/lock apt.  Shove that torp up their tailpipe fast and dry.

Hello fellow gunboat enthusiests!!! 

I got my first gunboat a few months ago, and I thought i’d share my experiences with you all!!!

I never played a gunboat in 1e, but in 2e i’m having tons of fun with my gunboat.   I love having the slam. I have mostly flown Vyndar with miniswarm, but i also flew him with vader and soontier. My usual build is vyndar with proton torps, advanced slam, fire control system, saturation salvo, and  barrage rockets. When i want to save points i drop saturation salvo and barrage rockets, and he does just fine with just proton torps since he can reload.

My opponenets have started calling my gunboat “the shark” because it has a fin, and it’s always circling around it’s prey before it tears it apart! 

Can’t believe it took me this long to get a gunboat, will be getting a second one in the near future.

Edited by Sir Orrin

17 hours ago, HolySorcerer said:

Crack shot is primary only.

I like APT because they are cheaper and combo very well with the ion cannon.  I like them with FCS, as you can pick up a lock early, use fcs until you land an ion, then jump into range one with a focus/lock apt.  Shove that torp up their tailpipe fast and dry.

Your right so drop all 3 crack shot list is now 196pts.

Here's what I'm 1-0 with so far. It needs a lot more table time to be figured out:

Nu Squadron Pilot (35)
Fire-Control System (3)
Proton Torpedoes (9)
Advanced SLAM (3)
Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)

Nu Squadron Pilot (35)
Fire-Control System (3)
Proton Torpedoes (9)
Advanced SLAM (3)
Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)

Nu Squadron Pilot (35)
Fire-Control System (3)
Proton Torpedoes (9)
Advanced SLAM (3)
Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)

Colonel Jendon (46)
Tactical Scrambler (2)

Total: 198

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

Initial approach is slow and steady with them behind Jendon. Ideally Jendon gets a first engagement bump and th Nu's get 3 fully modded Proton Torps into a single ship (Jendon ability locks plus focus). Then Slam out and spread the arcs with the ability to Slam/white action/shoot. 

It worked perfectly the first time on the table (took out an Arc-170 in the first round of shooting). Of course, one game does not a solid list make, but being able to pretty consistently launch 3 proton torpedoes in a round ain't rubbish.

Similar to Darth Wrath's, I have found relative success with this one:

Alpha-class Star Wing - Rho Squadron Pilot - 52
        Saturation Salvo (6)
        Barrage Rockets (6)
        Advanced SLAM (3)
        Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)

TIE/sa Bomber - •Captain Jonus - 44
    •Captain Jonus - Disciplined Instructor (36)
        Seismic Charges (3)
        Proton Bombs (5)

Saturation Salvo (6)
        Barrage Rockets (6)
        Advanced SLAM (3)
        Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)

Saturation Salvo (6)
        Barrage Rockets (6)
        Advanced SLAM (3)
        Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)

Total: 200/200

I deploy it with the three gunboats side by side, with Jonus behind the central one. Then slow roll, or rush depending on what the opponent does. 
They are fewer than if this was done with barrage bombers, however their shields make them stronger to crits, their SLAM allows them to escape for another pass, and the saturation salvos I have found particularly effective especially when dealing with higher agility ships.
Jonus with bombs and seismics usually scares them away from k-turning or flanking behind my initial formation.

Once the formation is broken, Jonus no longer provides rerolls, but the gunboats can squirrel away with SLAM and catch locks with Advanced SLAM for another pass. Between that, saturation salvo, and the usual focus token, they have been surprisingly effective. More than I expected, to be honest. I need to try changing the bombs on Jonus for Barrage Rockets and Ruthless.

Right. Need to plot my maiden outing of the Gunboats in 2.0. It’s not easy! Thinking back to my first tournament win where I flew pre-veterans Vessery, I thought pairing him with a pair of Gunboats might work. It’s.... well, not great but I love the concept and it’ll look amazing!

(37) Rho Squadron Pilot
(0) Xg-1 Assault Configuration
(5) Ion Cannon
(3) Advanced SLAM
(3) Fire-Control System
Points 48

(41) Major Vynder
(0) Xg-1 Assault Configuration
(3) Tractor Beam
(3) Fire-Control System
(3) Advanced SLAM
(1) Trick Shot
Points 51

(88) Colonel Vessery
(4) Juke
(5) Collision Detector
(4) Heavy Laser Cannon
Points 101

Total points: 200

Now, how do I change it to make it good...