FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

If an Armada Gunboat were to be made, it would be neat to have something like a free squadron move and shoot ability, maybe at least on the named squadron.

I just think back to X-Wing when there would ALWAYS be a 'RED LEADER INCOMING MISSILE RED LEADER INCOMING MISSILE' with maybe a wildly chirping R2 unit before you even got into laser range.

Snipe 2 maybe?

So looking at various builds, I believe the Nu squadron will be 19 points.

19 Nu +1 cannon title +7 HLC is 2 points more than a naked Sigma Squadron phantom, for almost twice the health (but missing the 25 point mark by that same 2 points)

19 Nu +1 cannon title  +4 Mangler is 24 points for what is basically a T70 with IA statline (trading supershield for autocrit, which seems a fair comparison)

Rho at 21 (with ept), +1 cannon title, +7 HLC, +2 LB, +0 LRS, +1 crackshot for 32 points.

19 Nu +1 cannon title +2 flechette+2 Advanced Slam= 24 points

7 hours ago, flyboymb said:

If an Armada Gunboat were to be made, it would be neat to have something like a free squadron move and shoot ability, maybe at least on the named squadron.

I just think back to X-Wing when there would ALWAYS be a 'RED LEADER INCOMING MISSILE RED LEADER INCOMING MISSILE' with maybe a wildly chirping R2 unit before you even got into laser range.

Snipe 2 maybe?

Well, considering Raddus allows ships to be brought on from reserve, maybe a similar rule would work well for the Funboat!

2 hours ago, clanofwolves said:

....yeah, it's the dream's reality sans Mareek Stele; but it's the Gunboat!

I guess we can't have Stele piloting every Imperial starfighter, but we did get him in more than one, one of them being the DEFENDER so I'm happy.  Baby Stele in a basic Fighter would be so cute tho.

24 minutes ago, GrimmyV said:

I guess we can't have Stele piloting every Imperial starfighter, but we did get him in more than one, one of them being the DEFENDER so I'm happy.  Baby Stele in a basic Fighter would be so cute tho.

I'm not gonna lie, PS7 Stele in every ship from TIE Fighter would be pretty great (and wouldn't exactly break the game since his ability is only okay).

3 hours ago, Infinite_Maelstrom said:

TIE Hunters next?  We need something to make another 7000 post thread about.

A-9 Vigilance and I-7 Howlrunner as a 'Worst Ever' Imp 'aces' pack.

seriously tho the X-wing games still have the T-wing and R-41 Starchaser for Rebs and Scum.  

And of course the Delta class DX-9 transport.  Why isn't this in the game yet?

9 minutes ago, GrimmyV said:

A-9 Vigilance and I-7 Howlrunner as a 'Worst Ever' Imp 'aces' pack.

seriously tho the X-wing games still have the T-wing and R-41 Starchaser for Rebs and Scum.  

And of course the Delta class DX-9 transport.  Why isn't this in the game yet?

I would love to see the T-Wing and the R-41 in this game.

LOL @ the I-7 Howlrunner--that ship's worse than a 30-point Z-95

I'd also like to see the (now-Legends) Preybird Starfighter as a cross-faction Imp/Scum. I believe Paelleon acquired a ton of them in his days of the late Empire, and then Thrawn managed to make some good use out of them even though he hated them. The trouble is, honestly besides being a cross-faction Imp-Scum ship, I don't know what new or fresh gameplay a Preybird would bring to the game.

Edited by Ziusdra

3 minutes ago, Ziusdra said:

I would love to see the T-Wing and the R-41 in this game.

LOL @ the I-7 Howlrunner--that ship's worse than a 30-point Z-95

(Checking point costs on Z-95s)

oh wow, you can make 30+ PT Zs!  

Leave it to Incom to drag Ms. Howlrunner's name in the mud by making the laziest piece of poodoo ship you can think of.

besides the Hornet Interceptor ?, what were they smoking?

8 minutes ago, Arma Quattro said:

Man, the DX 9.

Could possibly be the first ship to be present in the three factions.

How would you consider it? Small or large base? And its stats and upgrade bar?

'Medium' base?  20 dollar expansion would probably do it justice, it's between the Mist Hunter and IG-2000 in size I think.

3 red 

1 green

6 hull

3 shield 

focus, TL

torp x 2, Cannon, crew x 2 (or maybe team?)

it would be a nice alternative to the shuttles and decimator for the Imps.  Sorry Boba.

1 hour ago, Arma Quattro said:

Man, the DX 9.

Could possibly be the first ship to be present in the three factions.

How would you consider it? Small or large base? And its stats and upgrade bar?

Would want to be a large base I think; based mostly on how it operates. The line ffg has set between small & large ships seems to be more about how they want the ship to feel than absolute physical size.... and the dx9 feels like a large ship.

Definitely 3 dice primary, 1 agility

I'm thinking 6 hull 4 shields, mostly based on the hull & shield values of other large ships. 10 hitpoints puts it on par with the firespray & lambda, which is where I think it wants to be.

For upgrade slots, feels like it deserves systems, cannon, & 2 torps. Could have 3 crew slots, but I'd like to see it give up some of those crew slots in order to have a team. Maybe have a 0 point title that does that.

Dial needs to be bad, but maybe not quite as bad as the lambda.... maybe:

Green 1 straight & banks

Green 2 straight, white banks & turns

White 3 straight, red banks

Red 4 straight

Red 0 stop

I agree with namdoolb mostly. I think it could have a base stat, then maybe a title or two to change up what's on board depending on the roll you want it to have. I mean, these things were used for EVERYTHING in the games. Cargo, troop transport, heavy bomber, mine layer, I think even as defense ships in a mission or two. Base stats would be a single crew, torp, and system. Give it a troop transport title, it loses the torpedo slot, gains a second crew, and a team slot. A second title would add a second torpedo slot, a bomb slot (maybe give it a torpedo upgrade card similar to what the Y-Wing has to make one a bomb slot), and a cannon slot. 

4 hours ago, AugustineS said:

No TIE variant is worth that many posts

No TIE variant would NEED that many posts.  Because they're inherently cool, and will get added long before then.

namdoolb...is bloodman backwards!!

Edited by DarthEnderX

I really think the Dx stormtrooper transport should have been the Sentinal shuttle all along. It's basically the first order landing craft people have been complaining about since TFA.

If I were remaking the old games, I'd be usingthe sentinal for the DX, and probably the Deci for the imperial assault transport. Imperial CR90s would be either Gozantis or Raiders, depending if they hypered you in or not- and the M/Nebulon is totally an Argkittens.

37 minutes ago, Rakaydos said:

I really think the Dx stormtrooper transport should have been the Sentinal shuttle all along. It's basically the first order landing craft people have been complaining about since TFA.

If I were remaking the old games, I'd be usingthe sentinal for the DX, and probably the Deci for the imperial assault transport. Imperial CR90s would be either Gozantis or Raiders, depending if they hypered you in or not- and the M/Nebulon is totally an Argkittens.

Don't forget the Imperial Light Cruiser.