Sign in to follow this  
Ribann

4 Attack on Phantom: Mistake by FFG?

Nothing wrong with Phantoms.

Working as intended

Yep, They are pointed right and take some skill and a lot of luck to get out of some bad flying. They are fine. 

Well then shouldn't X-wing have 4 firepower too?

Of course not, the firepower is not exact because B-wings and E-wings which have only 3 cannons have the same firepower as an X-wing which has 4. These are relative stats not exact stats. So here is how it breaks down.

1 cannon- 1 firepower

2 cannons 2 firepower

3-4 cannons 3 firepower

5+ cannons 4 firepower.

The Tie Phantom has the most laser cannons out of all the ties, it should have 4 firepower. The drawback it has the health of an Awing and cannot upgrade its firepower with a cannon and such.

Of course not, the firepower is not exact because B-wings and E-wings which have only 3 cannons have the same firepower as an X-wing which has 4. These are relative stats not exact stats. So here is how it breaks down.

1 cannon- 1 firepower

2 cannons 2 firepower

3-4 cannons 3 firepower

5+ cannons 4 firepower.

The Tie Phantom has the most laser cannons out of all the ties, it should have 4 firepower. The drawback it has the health of an Awing and cannot upgrade its firepower with a cannon and such.

kinda makes me think the Shuttle should have 4 then too since it has 8 guns pointing forward.

TIE Phantoms are definitely overpowered. Luckily with the new waves of ships people will migrate away from them a bit.

And you base this on, what exactly? :)

Observe: Ribann's suddenly MIA, but here's someone with a post count of 10 bumping his threads and challenging people to play Ribann on Vassal.

And, in what I'm sure is just a coincidence, this new poster is named after the prequel trilogy's most famous clone progenitor.

TIE Phantoms are definitely overpowered. Luckily with the new waves of ships people will migrate away from them a bit.

Observe: Ribann's suddenly MIA, but here's someone with a post count of 10 bumping his threads and challenging people to play Ribann on Vassal.

And, in what I'm sure is just a coincidence, this new poster is named after the prequel trilogy's most famous clone progenitor.

By Jove homes you have it, i'll contact lestrade at once!

After playing against Phantom in more games, im convinced, that game design of that ship have some serious flaws. Even if we dont talk about concept of realeasing new ships with such rules, that force players to totally change theirs list and tactics even for possible encounter of this ship, Phantom is so cheap pointwise, that his 4 attacks are able to change game in one roll even without effects of cloak/decloak combination. Ability to oneshot at 1 range ship with 5 combined hull/shields is so powerfull, that it does not correspont with Phantoms point cost.

So are there any ways to repair it?

I have an idea about Modification (or System upgrade) card like this: "Cloak field jammer (2 points): Ships at range 2 of this ship cannot make cloak action and when decloak, gains stress (or Iont?) token.

With such card, we dont have to change whole list just for chance of fighting agains Phantom and Phantoms are still usefull, but not so universally, like now.

Phantom is so cheap pointwise, that his 4 attacks are able to change game in one roll even without effects of cloak/decloak combination. Ability to oneshot at 1 range ship with 5 combined hull/shields is so powerfull, that it does not correspont with Phantoms point cost.

Incorrect. It is pricey, yet balanced.

So are there any ways to repair it?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The Phantom has so many hard counters already, on top of good flying.

I have an idea about Modification (or System upgrade) card like this: "Cloak field jammer (2 points): Ships at range 2 of this ship cannot make cloak action and when decloak, gains stress (or Iont?) token.

Why not use any of the multiple stress inducing abilities/upgrades out there already?

With such card, we dont have to change whole list just for chance of fighting agains Phantom and Phantoms are still usefull, but not so universally, like now.

You don't have to change your whole list, unless you're terrible at flying; or are hell-bent on staying in block-formations.

You simply need to adapt.

I wouldn't put it past the person who was google-stalking me.

I wouldn't put it past the person who was google-stalking me.

All I see is several pages of people picking on a person who's not even here to defend himself, and nobody deserves that kind of attention. Nobody.

Not saying I agree with Ribann on..... well, much, but you seriously need to sit down and have a long talk with yourself about where you stand on these sorts of things.

Not saying I agree with Ribann on..... well, much, but you seriously need to sit down and have a long talk with yourself about where you stand on these sorts of things.

Sorry, I checked the main X-Wing forum and I didn't see the thread I specifically dedicated to calling out Ribann. Would you prefer that I send you personal messages discussing how I'm the one being stalked and defamed? We could also discuss your penchant for policing my posts while we're at it.

Edited by WonderWAAAGH

1 cannon- 1 firepower

2 cannons 2 firepower

3-4 cannons 3 firepower

5+ cannons 4 firepower.

The Death Star has one cannon.

I assure you that that comparison is a coincidence that shows up in about half the ships, it has absolutely nothing to do with FFG's attack values. The HWK has four cannons, the Falcon has eight, the Lambda has eight, the two cannons on Outrider are individually bigger than all the phantom's cannons put together.

Edited by Lagomorphia

Sorry, I checked the main X-Wing forum and I didn't see the thread I specifically dedicated to calling out Ribann. Would you prefer that I send you personal messages discussing how I'm the one being stalked and defamed? We could also discuss your penchant for policing my posts while we're at it.

Just so I can navigate your logic, your issue is starting a thread to defend someone, and not the "several pages" of mud slinging that ensued? I mean you clearly have no problem with mud-slinging--that's about 90% of your posts on these forums.

And no, please don't send me PMs about how you're being stalked and defamed. There is nothing I, or anyone reading page 23 of this God-awful thread can do about it. If you actually wanted something done, there are people that can help you, but posting your personal business here does nothing other than pile on more ridicule (as your post was clearly intended to do).

If you want to discuss my penchant for policing your posts, feel free. I calls 'em like I sees 'em. I don't think I've ever seen stance you take on how people should conduct themselves on these boards without directly contradicting it at some point in the future. I just couldn't leave this one alone because your usual K-turn was pulled off in a record-breaking 22 hours! Congrats!

When people disagree with you without properly supporting their PoV it's "care to be more substantive with your posts?" When you disagree with someone else and can't be bothered to support your view it's "lolwut" or something similar. You're the fastest hand around when it comes to accusing someone of being a troll, and then you'll joke that you're not even wearing your "trollhat!"

A hypocrite is as a hypocrite does. And you does. All. The. Time.

I understand your stance on not creating threads about people, as you've been the recipient of several--they weren't all about you, but they were at the very least inspired by you. I'm sure it didn't feel good and yet it hasn't caused even the slightest change in your behavior. How many times must you be called out before you Wonder if maybe, just maybe the problem lies with you and not every single person that doesn't see things your way?

So the next time your grab a fist full of that mud and cross your fingers for the most 'likes' ever, just think back to when people have ganged up on you because of the **** you've said and maybe that hurt will temper your reply. Just think about it.

Beat me to it jerk lol :angry:

A hypocrite is as a hypocrite does.

Oh, I can agree with that sentiment. It's like how some people fancy themselves my personal hall monitor, following me from thread to thread and making complete hypocrites out of themselves (is that mud-slinging?) for the opportunity to take me down a peg. It's especially endearing when they feel the need to quote me with out-of-context remarks to make their point. But hey, enough wrongs and one of us will eventually make a right, right? 

It's alright, Sekac. I'm not really upset at you. In fact I'm rather flattered, because I see a little of me in you. I'm just wondering what it could have been that made you feel the need to put aside your sense of dignity to call me out, yet again. Are you still pouty because of that time you asked us to explain a card to you, then got all upset and super defensive when you still couldn't wrap your mind around it? I honestly can't think of any other reason I may have given you to add yourself to my coterie of loyal followers.

---

I don't really feel like wasting a whole heck of a lot more time making you feel foolish than I already have, so I'll give you just the briefest of breakdowns on your post:

Just so I can navigate your logic, your issue is starting a thread to defend someone, and not the "several pages" of mud slinging that ensued?

My issue, as I pointed out in that thread from the very beginning, was creating a thread about someone - regardless of their intent. You're quoting me completely out of context, but I suppose nothing so trivial has ever stopped one of my detractors from taking a jab.

I mean you clearly have no problem with mud-slinging--that's about 90% of your posts on these forums.

Hyperbole, and completely untrue. You would have to define "mud-slinging" as any form of negative attention directed towards a poster - regardless of the context or pointedness of the remark - for that to reach a meaningful percentile. I do the occasional name calling, but certainly not in "90%" of my posts.

On a side note, it's interesting how posts like your own seem to perpetuate this "mud-slinging." It is a two way street, after all. If your goal is to police the internet, you're not doing a very good job of it.

And no, please don't send me PMs about how you're being stalked and defamed. There is nothing I, or anyone reading page 23 of this God-awful thread can do about it. If you actually wanted something done, there are people that can help you, but posting your personal business here does nothing other than pile on more ridicule (as your post was clearly intended to do).

Someone doesn't understand what a rhetorical question is. I genuinely have no interest in conversing with you privately, especially concerning the issues I have at present. In fact, I've gone out of my way not to make a big deal about Ribann's behavior since he got swatted by the moderators a few days ago, especially in light of what I've learned about him since then. If you feel that the observation I made in response to Vorpal's post amounts to ridicule, you might want to get your eyes checked. It certainly doesn't read that way to me.

If you want to discuss my penchant for policing your posts, feel free. I calls 'em like I sees 'em. I don't think I've ever seen stance you take on how people should conduct themselves on these boards without directly contradicting it at some point in the future. I just couldn't leave this one alone because your usual K-turn was pulled off in a record-breaking 22 hours! Congrats!

Funny, because from where I'm standing it looks like a whole lot of badgering without any evidence to support it. Unless, as has been mentioned, you consider out-of-context quotes to be evidence, but surely you aren't that foolish. Just callin' it like I see it.

When people disagree with you without properly supporting their PoV it's "care to be more substantive with your posts?" When you disagree with someone else and can't be bothered to support your view it's "lolwut" or something similar. You're the fastest hand around when it comes to accusing someone of being a troll, and then you'll joke that you're not even wearing your "trollhat!"

I ask people to be more substantive when they make one-sentence observations and declare them to be fact. Usually because I understand the OP's intent to be trolling... oh, am I pointing that finger again? I would support my argument with a link to the "Z-95s suck" thread, but that one got deleted by the moderators. For trolling. Perhaps I am fast at making those accusations, but that doesn't make them inaccurate.

As for "lolwut," I can count on one hand the number of times I've used that term. I do occasionally talk about Star Wars, you know. And when I do, there's certainly no small amount of substance to back it up. Strange that you can't be bothered to quote those posts. Might I direct you towards this recent thread? Even nikk, who's had issues with me before, would be hard-pressed to say something negative about my contributions there.    

I understand your stance on not creating threads about people...

Do you? Because all you've done is quote me from that thread in order to make a fallacious point about my behavior in this one. If you're going to co-opt my point, you should at least do me the courtesy of representing it properly.

Edited by WonderWAAAGH

Don't see why you need a turret ship.

I lost echo the other day, one shooted by a bomber.

Next game I flew a BH with hlc. Took echo out with my rear guns., of coarse Sontir Fel softened him up.

Nope, don't need turrets. Phantoms are a ***** to fly against but can be done without much heartache

I just got off work and checked the forum...and realized I've been transported back in time almost 3 months! Which is weird. 3 months ago I was on summer break. Or is that now? Because if its now and I just spent 8 hours in my classroom on my summer break I'm gonna be really mad. Or was I mad 3 months ago?

Ok, what I do know: I'll go mad if I keep contemplating time travel implications, and I'm mad that this thread is now clogging up the main page and room in my brain.

Oh, I can agree with that sentiment. It's like how some people fancy themselves my personal hall monitor, following me from thread to thread and making complete hypocrites out of themselves (is that mud-slinging?) for the opportunity to take me down a peg. It's especially endearing when they feel the need to quote me with out-of-context remarks to make their point. But hey, enough wrongs and one of us will eventually make a right, right? 

It's alright, Sekac. I'm not really upset at you. In fact I'm rather flattered, because I see a little of me in you. I'm just wondering what it could have been that made you feel the need to put aside your sense of dignity to call me out, yet again. Are you still pouty because of that time you asked us to explain a card to you, then got all upset and super defensive when you still couldn't wrap your mind around it? I honestly can't think of any other reason I may have given you to add yourself to my coterie of loyal followers.

---

I don't really feel like wasting a whole heck of a lot more time making you feel foolish than I already have, so I'll give you just the briefest of breakdowns on your post:

Just so I can navigate your logic, your issue is starting a thread to defend someone, and not the "several pages" of mud slinging that ensued?

My issue, as I pointed out in that thread from the very beginning, was creating a thread about someone - regardless of their intent. You're quoting me completely out of context, but I suppose nothing so trivial has ever stopped one of my detractors from taking a jab.

I mean you clearly have no problem with mud-slinging--that's about 90% of your posts on these forums.

Hyperbole, and completely untrue. You would have to define "mud-slinging" as any form of negative attention directed towards a poster - regardless of the context or pointedness of the remark - for that to reach a meaningful percentile. I do the occasional name calling, but certainly not in "90%" of my posts.

On a side note, it's interesting how posts like your own seem to perpetuate this "mud-slinging." It is a two way street, after all. If your goal is to police the internet, you're not doing a very good job of it.

Someone doesn't understand what a rhetorical question is. I genuinely have no interest in conversing with you privately, especially concerning the issues I have at present. In fact, I've gone out of my way not to make a big deal about Ribann's behavior since he got swatted by the moderators a few days ago, especially in light of what I've learned about him since then. If you feel that the observation I made in response to Vorpal's post amounts to ridicule, you might want to get your eyes checked. It certainly doesn't read that way to me.

Funny, because from where I'm standing it looks like a whole lot of badgering without any evidence to support it. Unless, as has been mentioned, you consider out-of-context quotes to be evidence, but surely you aren't that foolish. Just callin' it like I see it.

I ask people to be more substantive when they make one-sentence observations and declare them to be fact. Usually because I understand the OP's intent to be trolling... oh, am I pointing that finger again? I would support my argument with a link to the "Z-95s suck" thread, but that one got deleted by the moderators. For trolling. Perhaps I am fast at making those accusations, but that doesn't make them inaccurate.

As for "lolwut," I can count on one hand the number of times I've used that term. I do occasionally talk about Star Wars, you know. And when I do, there's certainly no small amount of substance to back it up. Strange that you can't be bothered to quote those posts. Might I direct you towards this recent thread? Even nikk, who's had issues with me before, would be hard-pressed to say something negative about my contributions there.    

Do you? Because all you've done is quote me from that thread in order to make a fallacious point about my behavior in this one. If you're going to co-opt my point, you should at least do me the courtesy of representing it properly.

I'm a long time lurker but  feel the need to contribute.

@ WonderWAAArgh

The way you and your cronies Vanor DM, Millennium Falsehood et al treated a former poster Emperor Palpatine was an absolute disgrace. None of you showed an ounce of compassion for somebody who had lost his wife and you were one of the worst culprits. Whether he used her to make a point or merely to illustrate it as EP maintained (I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt) you all thought it was perfectly OK to tear the poor guy to pieces because his point of view differed from yours. There's even a thread here talking about gamer's wives, that's odd because you and your little gang were quick enough to tear into EP when he mentioned his. The hypocrisy is staggering. God forbid you ever have to walk a mile in his shoes but it's a bit rich moaning about how you are being treated when you have dished it out to others so readily. EP told you all to take a running jump I believe. He was right because people like you and your clique are ruining this forum and putting people off the game. I have certainly hesitated to make my first posting because it seems unless one is interested in tournaments, the meta and uber builds you are either ignored or laughed at. 

I am NOT Emperor Palpatine so don't go down that route, I just say what I see and that is a forum that far from being a pleasant place to post is angry, cliquey and hostile to thinking other than that which is regarded as orthodox. It needs a moderator.

I share the concerns about the Phantom but I would not go so far as to say it breaks the game. My worry is that a player can take any other Imperial ship and even if the rebels have not built specifically to guard against it, they can still win. With the Phantom, if the rebels haven't taken precautions against it, ie turrets or a higher pilot skill, they will probably lose. 

Edited by Prince of Darkness

A dedicated moderator would be nice but that doesn't seem to be in the cards.

Step 1: don't feed the trolls

Step 2: don't feed the trolls (publicaly calling them out and referring by name, post count, or past grievenses gives them exactly the nutrients they need to grow up big and strong).

Step 3: hit the report button. A lot.

Step 4: don't feed the trolls

Step 5: use the mute button

Step 6: realize that despite these steps, unless others also use them constantly and consistently, trolls will live on.

I've hit the report button 3 times in the past hour myself. If you see trolling, inflammatory, personal attacks, and off topic posts REPORT them. If the moderators aren't getting reports then why should they dedicate a moderator to a functioning forum?

Edited by Rakky Wistol

---

I'm a long time lurker but  feel the need to contribute.

@ WonderWAAArgh

The way you and your cronies Vanor DM, Millennium Falsehood et al treated a former poster Emperor Palpatine was an absolute disgrace. None of you showed an ounce of compassion for somebody who had lost his wife and you were one of the worst culprits. Whether he used her to make a point or merely to illustrate it as EP maintained (I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt) you all thought it was perfectly OK to tear the poor guy to pieces because his point of view differed from yours. There's even a thread here talking about gamer's wives, that's odd because you and your little gang were quick enough to tear into EP when he mentioned his. The hypocrisy is staggering. God forbid you ever have to walk a mile in his shoes but it's a bit rich moaning about how you are being treated when you have dished it out to others so readily. EP told you all to take a running jump I believe. He was right because people like you and your clique are ruining this forum and putting people off the game. I have certainly hesitated to make my first posting because it seems unless one is interested in tournaments, the meta and uber builds you are either ignored or laughed at. 

I am NOT Emperor Palpatine so don't go down that route, I just say what I see and that is a forum that far from being a pleasant place to post is angry, cliquey and hostile to thinking other than that which is regarded as orthodox. It needs a moderator.

I share the concerns about the Phantom but I would not go so far as to say it breaks the game. My worry is that a player can take any other Imperial ship and even if the rebels have not built specifically to guard against it, they can still win. With the Phantom, if the rebels haven't taken precautions against it, ie turrets or a higher pilot skill, they will probably lose.

Had to bring up the palps didn't you haha. That's a whole nother story in itself, but to summarize again.... Palps would ask a question, didn't like the opposing viewpoints of others, got mad at opposing viewpoints then finally rage quit, the end. He did not need to bring his wife up that was a huge mistake on his part, honestly if your wife just died why would you be on a forum in the first place just my opinion. Not that you don't feel bad for him but still maybe a forum isn't the best place for you when tragedy strikes. Not defending anyone here but still the points remain. Also I find this place to be very friendly, yes there is a mix of a lot of different personalities and some are harsher than others. In the end tho it's their opinion, if you didn't want an opinion about something then why post? You should be ready to hear things you may not like because it's a viewpoint. I dunno I mean yes people could be a little nicer but people could also grow thicker skin too, it's a two way street.