Sign in to follow this  
Lilikin

time for third faction?

I like the idea of doing that for fun, but it seems like ffg is set on this be a game of rebel(and a little bit of the new republic) vs the empire. I'd like it to stick to that. Having ships tossed between factions would lean towards Star Trek attack squadron, which would be a bad thing...

Just my opinion though.

I see bases having the same colored lines to show the firing arc. I guess a new faction should have new colors on the base or something distinguishing it. Additionally, if a third faction were introduced, what with the smugglers piloting the Millennium Falcon or the Bounty Hunters on the Firespray? Really, I don't see this coming

Yes, I want a third faction.

I like the idea of doing that for fun, but it seems like ffg is set on this be a game of rebel(and a little bit of the new republic) vs the empire. I'd like it to stick to that. Having ships tossed between factions would lean towards Star Trek attack squadron, which would be a bad thing...

You're certainly not the only one making that comment in so many of these 'third faction' threads. However, I never see any citations. Could you point me to where FFG said that?  I'd be curious to know how long ago that was, and if there's been enough time for FFG to have second thoughts.

Also, I think a third faction could stave off a possible slide towards Sun-Crusher absurdity (ie. when the possible ships left in the EU becomes so thin that they're going to produce stuff that's going to break our love).

After the major EU ships run out, they'll have all the ships from the Rebels (which already has a new model of TIE Advance, as well as a new freighter for the heroes) and then you've got eps 7, 8, and 9. We already know there's a new X-Wing design in the new movies, for example.

Rebels alone is going to give them a whole bunch of new ships, and at a steady rate too, I bet.

I don't know if I could take buying more physical ships on top of my already large fleet and my wave four order isn't even in yet :(.  

Now if they made that third faction like booster packs that had the cards and baseplates then that'd be a different story...

You're certainly not the only one making that comment in so many of these 'third faction' threads. However, I never see any citations. Could you point me to where FFG said that?  I'd be curious to know how long ago that was, and if there's been enough time for FFG to have second thoughts.

Also, I think a third faction could stave off a possible slide towards Sun-Crusher absurdity (ie. when the possible ships left in the EU becomes so thin that they're going to produce stuff that's going to break our love).

How would a third faction do this? They've already established a precedent of putting what would normally be "third party" ships like the firespray and yt with one side or the other, other than possibly uglies what could a third faction possibly open up?

Now, a new format that lets you take out of faction ships/cards at a 1-2 point tax each might be interesting to represent mercenary elements but I don't think it needs a whole new faction.

I've wanted a fringer faction since wave 2, but I don't see it happening. I'd be happy with a set of cards & base tokens to use some of the current ships in a new faction. It would be cool to run a Firespray with a mix of HWKs, Headhunters, or Y-wings. I hope they at least give the empire another non-imperial ship, like a Mercenary or a different Bounty Hunter, we really do need their scum.

New here, but I think it's still to early to introduce a new faction if there ever will be one. Like others have posted there are still a staggering amount of ships that could still fit into the Rebel and Imperial category. I'd love to see the TIE Avenger make it into the game. K-Wing seems like a solid option for the Rebels. My point is there are plenty of options to choose from, from the existing factions.

I don't think the game need a 3rd faction, but I see it more and more coming with little signs left in the cards. Just in the latest preview, the card Intim(idation) that come with the VT-49 clearly show a Scyk from Star Wars Galaxies, a ship that was flown by the neutral faction.

So, I'm not saying that it will happen or that the game need it, but I do think that if they comes out, it will be the Black Sun faction, or something like this.

Big guess now, next 4 ships in numbers before Rebel Aces is the new Neutral Faction!

Virago and Scyk being two of those ship!

I cant pinpoint the exact post, but there was an interview with 1 of the designers and a gaming magazine. the question about prequel ships and a 3rd faction was brought up. the response was that FFG planned on keeping this a 2 faction game, Rebels and Imperials.

that being said, they also stated they would never do capitol ships either, and here we now have 2.

so the bottom line IMO, is that, if there is a big enough demand for something and they can make a profit off of it and not destroy the balance of a great game they will do it. but i feel strongly that they will want anything they do to meet these 3 criteria at the very least.

they have something great going here, lets not talk them into messing it up, they know whats coming down the pipe and what will work and what wont, i can imagine that they have playtested a third faction and all we can do is wait to see if it will work within the balance of this game.

As soon as they add a third faction to Checkers, Chess or Go.

On a more cold blooded financial side of things. At this point the odds are actually greater that such a move will anger/alienate a sizeable portion of the current customers base. The risk of having even a small percentage of that group getting very vocal and insinuating that FFG is turning into a new GW could potentially be fiscally detrimental. When you look at it from that angle the smart money is on kepping a Two Faction system and just keep shuffling in the new material into one of the existing Factions.

Third faction is doubtfull. But what I do see happening is sometime after episode 7 most likely ffg releasing a Clone Wars version of X-wing. Giving 2 new factions, Republic and Separatists. I think they will release it as its own game but will be compatable with the current X-wing game. I think the main reasont they have not done this already has been to focus on the OT and gear everyone up for the new movies.

Granted allot of people here scream bloody murder when anyone mentions prequel era ships. But like i said this would be done as its own standalone game and not legal in normal X-wing tournaments. My basis for this is how they have treated other games like Lord of the rings, The sneaking in of clone wars images in the SW living card game and the recent addition of the Capital Ships. Plenty of people were against them and thought it would never happen, but it did. The game has survived. If anything it is more fun as there are more formats to play now. Those who are against capital ships do not have to buy or play them at tournaments unless they try entering an epic tournament.

Whether you like or do not like the Clone Wars stuff, there is an audience for it. One of the guys in my play group refuses to buy any ships until they come out with clone wars ships, he wants the arc170 and the Jedi starfighters.

But this is all fun speclation for now, we wont know for sure until it happens. :P