Sign in to follow this  
evanger

What Have We Learned?

Talk of the game ending is completely ridiculous.

FFG have commited to the Empire/ Rebellion era.

The Rebels series is the beginning of that era and has X-wings in it.

I get the impression lots of people think we aren't going to see releases from this. It boggles my mind.

Also, I heard they are making new movies...with X-wings...

You are right about Star Wars: Rebels being in the correct time frame. That starts 5 years before Yavin.

The upcoming Sequel Trilogy is further away from this time period than the Prequel Trilogy, so to assume (angrily, I might add) they will undoubtedly include the former and never include the latter seems strange to me.

To your point, I, too, suspect this sneak peek shot from the Episode VII set is a likely a distant, future relative of the T-65B "X-Wing".

incom.jpg

The Rebels series is the beginning of that era and has X-wings in it.

I get the impression lots of people think we aren't going to see releases from this. It boggles my mind.

Also, I heard they are making new movies...with X-wings...

Yes, but the X-Wing Expansion Pack has been out for a while now. How long can FFG run on the fumes of the ships that have already been put out? How much new content do they feel they need to continue creating. How long before that new content just gets too weird for fans to embrace?

I don't know why you're worried though. They're only improving the game with each release by my reckoning.

For example, I'm really looking forward to barrel rolling *out* of range 1 so Dash can use his turret HLC.

Thats fresh and tech.

I would worry more about Disneys attitude towards the EU as a threat to the game.

But they seem  to be giving FFG free run with the source material.

Not angrily, evanger. More like rolling eyes.

Its not about a length of time, it's about a specific conflict, Empire vs Rebellion.

If the new movies fit the description then it will be a no brainer.

If the setting has the rebellion as the new government and they are opposing an Imperial remnant or whatever I suppose that's different.

worst case scenario they might launch a seperate game for the new period in that case

Edited by JaggedLittleFel

Heh, if they never made a single model or card ever again, this can still remain a best selling series for then. All they have to do is change the name, and release new cards for all existing ones with slightly adjusted stats and costs, call it 2nd edition and every person here will buy it. Rinse and repeat every year and games-workshop would be proud. 

But do I think this is the end? Not by a long shot :)

NEED UNLIKE BUTTON SO BADLY...never ever ever.

REBELS is coming and has xwings and advanced.  A new trilogy and at least 2 spin offs already in the work.  Garuntee we see a new "clone wars" animated series geared towards kids... so much material to pull from and FFG would be crazy not to do it.

I would love a "Legends" release once a year: 2 ships from the past.  Would be great and they wouldn't have to mass produce them like they do all expansions.  They should though, it'll probably sell.

FFG would be crazy not to grow this line with the new ships in new Star Wars products.  CRAZY not to.

I don't know why you're worried though. They're only improving the game with each release by my reckoning.

Dude, just because I'm on the verge of entering the fifth stage of grief over the TIE Defender being a part of the game, doesn't mean that there aren't other (even) more fans out there. ;)

I would worry more about Disneys attitude towards the EU as a threat to the game.

I have no idea what the corporate strategists think about this material, and I have no idea about the Disney corporate culture. I highly doubt they're going to force FFG to produce YT-1300s with two satellite dishes, but who's to say.

I think as long as its profitable, and it protects the awe with which we all hold Star Wars, Disney is happy to take their cut. I'm on board with that. I want Star Wars to remain awesome. (ie. I don't want no Sun Crushers)

I have no idea what the corporate strategists think about this material, and I have no idea about the Disney corporate culture. I highly doubt they're going to force FFG to produce YT-1300s with two satellite dishes, but who's to say.

I think as long as its profitable, and it protects the awe with which we all hold Star Wars, Disney is happy to take their cut. I'm on board with that. I want Star Wars to remain awesome. (ie. I don't want no Sun Crushers)

They told Hasbro to cool it completely on EU character action figures. They canned those video game releases so they could concentrate attention on Rebels and the movies. And there was also the announcement that a lot of EU stuff is going to be declared non-canon.

These are the things I'm refferring to when I talk about their disdain for the EU.

It's not unknowable.

And Disney will mandate that we turn in all of our non canon ships and cards and hold a mighty purging bonfire right in front of the Disneyland castle with Micky lighting the fuel soaked bonfire to rid this galaxy and that galaxy of Star Wars of all things not personally approved by old carbonate frozen Walt himself... That got weird.

I remember the mention of 30 ships vaguely, as an answer to what their long range plans for X-Wing was, but I think they meant to say that they already have plans for 30 ships, not that they have a limit of 30 ships set.

Between the new Rebels series, the Sequel Trilogy, the spin off movies, and the new Unified Universe novels/comics, there will be plenty of new ships to draw from. The Falcon is obviously still in use during the Sequel trilogy so technology doesn't seem to have advanced that much. The spin offs also all seem to be set before or during the OT.

This game could easily become the Magic: The Gathering of miniature gaming, going on forever.

I don't think we'll see a prequel version of this game, FFG was ahead of the curve when it came to keeping distance from the Prequels and now Disney seems to be following suit. And it makes sense for FFG to do so. Space combat just appeals to OT fans more because they were a bigger part of that trilogy. And there really isn't anything bringing any attention to the Clone Wars at this point. It'll be a decade before nostalgia for those movies starts to appear. And honestly... who wants to play as Confederate forces anyway? That's the problem with that time period, you can't take the villains seriously.

I'd still love to see an Arc-170 fighter though, as an early rebel ship. Or imperial  ship. Or both.

A friend of mine was at a conference in Birmingham for retailers.

According to him, the spokesperson for FFG said they were forcusing on the EU and the Sequel Trilogy. So it is likely we will start seeing sequel trilogy ships once we reach wave 7. 

A friend of mine was at a conference in Birmingham for retailers.

According to him, the spokesperson for FFG said they were forcusing on the EU and the Sequel Trilogy. So it is likely we will start seeing sequel trilogy ships once we reach wave 7. 

Interesting.

Its not about a length of time, it's about a specific conflict, Empire vs Rebellion.

If the new movies fit the description then it will be a no brainer.

To me, the Rebellion Era is obviously about the Galactic Civil War.

Good guy Rebel Alliance on one side, bad guy Empire on the other.

Empire == Emperor, the ultimate bad guy.

Hence, the war is effectively over at the conclusion of RotJ when Palpatine is killed.

The war, in some respects, starts somewhere in the Prequel Era.

All this, taken together, would suggest anything from the OT and Prequels is about (or could be more-or-less about) the Galactic Civil War, or at least its origins.

Whatever happens 30 years after the effective conclusion of that conflict (i.e. Episode VII and beyond) is not part of the "Rebellion Era", even if they are still flying Falcons and X-Wings around.

This actually raises a great point...I have no idea what the Sequel Trilogy will be about. My suspicion is that it is an entirely new saga, unrelated to Emperor Palpatine et al.

... FFG was ahead of the curve when it came to keeping distance from the Prequels and now Disney seems to be following suit. ..

No way. Disney/Lucasfilms say the only canon is all SIX movies and the Clone Wars cartoon series and feature film.

The Sequel Trilogy and Rebels will add to that.

I don't think they "distance themselves" from literally most of the canon they just declared (three of the released films and all of the Clone Wars material).

And I definitely don't think that Disney would take cues of any type from FFG as to what Star Wars material to endorse.

I'd still love to see an Arc-170 fighter though, as an early rebel ship. Or imperial  ship. Or both.

I think you are correct here; it would be almost impossible to assign "Rebel" and "Imperial" ships in this case. The best you could hope for is some of the retcon-like info that suggests some models of Clone Wars era tech was still in use during the Civil War.

You have (potentially) the exact same problem with the Sequel Trilogy. Thirty years after the terms "Rebel" and "Imperial" were rendered moot...

Edited by evanger

... FFG was ahead of the curve when it came to keeping distance from the Prequels and now Disney seems to be following suit. ..

No way. Disney/Lucasfilms say the only canon is all SIX movies and the Clone Wars cartoon series and feature film.

The Sequel Trilogy and Rebels will add to that.

I don't think they "distance themselves" from literally most of the canon they just declared (three of the released films and all of the Clone Wars material).

And I definitely don't think that Disney would take cues of any type from FFG as to what Star Wars material to endorse.

I don't mean distance as in they become non-canon. But what EU Clone Wars material are we seeing? None after "Sons of Dathomir". Nothing at all. And that isn't likely to change anytime soon.

As far as I'm aware there are no Clone Wars era video games, comics, or novels on the horizon. Nor do any of the future spin-off movies take place in that era. And the Clone Wars show has come to a premature end.

In 10 years nostalgia might bring it back. But for now... the Clone Wars are done and over.

I think you are correct here; it would be almost impossible to assign "Rebel" and "Imperial" ships in this case. The best you could hope for is some of the retcon-like info that suggests some models of Clone Wars era tech was still in use during the Civil War.

You have (potentially) the exact same problem with the Sequel Trilogy. Thirty years after the terms "Rebel" and "Imperial" were rendered moot...

Truthfully, we don't even know that much about the Sequel Trilogy. It could be both terms still have meaning. We can't assume we know anything that happens after RotJ now.

Besides, the E-Wing is a New Republic craft, not a Rebel craft. And it's in the game.

I don't mean distance as in they become non-canon. But what EU Clone Wars material are we seeing? None after "Sons of Dathomir". Nothing at all. And that isn't likely to change anytime soon.

I agree with that point.

There were a large group of novels at the time (and comics), and there were 122+ episodes of the cartoon series.

So I am sure they felt that mine has been stripped bare, so to speak.

And I do agree that Disney is "moving on", in terms of exclusively developing new material for two (or more, once spin-off movies a la the also-Disney-owned Marvel franchise take effect) specifics eras: Rebels in the Civil War and whatever the heck the conflict is 30 years past Jedi.

To that point: does anyone know (or have a guess) as to what Ep. VII will be about?

Edited by evanger

I don't think we've had any clue at all.

I think we can speculate that the Empire will exist in some form. Because Disney seems to be doing everything they can to bring back the feeling we had for the OT. And the Rebels show is there so there will be a horde of younglings there when Ep VII launches.

It may be 30 years later, but I think this new era will seem very familiar indeed.

Edited by DragonWhimsy

Besides, the E-Wing is a New Republic craft, not a Rebel craft. And it's in the game.

That is true. A "near miss" to the time period (maybe 5 years too late).

Edited by evanger

I believe in the now legends material the ARC-170 was simply repainted when the name went from relublic to empire and phased out in favor of the TIE series. Where the rebels also used them when they could get them.

Additionally I doubt Palpatine looked at vader on day one of the swich, motioned to the ARC-170s and said "Scrap them, scrap them all."

I don't know. What have we learned?

A short list:

1. FFG is surprising at times. A bit unpredictable.

Only two ships planned for Wave 5. Some ships arrive out of left field: in my opinion this includes the VT-49, along with the HWK-290 and E-Wing. FFG has proven they'll use source material from movies, video games, comic books and novels. A true wide survey of the EU material. Technically lots of stuff to cherry pick from.

Open Questions:

What are the "boundaries" of the game, and why?

Are we sticking (at least mostly) to the Rebellion Era? If we believe in "Legends" canon timelines any more, we'd need the X-Wing Miniatures Game to be set at least 9 years after the Battle of Yavin (i.e. 5 years after the Galactic Civil War is over!). Dropping the E-Wing from the list (but keeping the A-Wing and the TIE Defender) means the game is set at least during Return of the Jedi and no earlier. On the other end of the timeline, we have the YT-1300, a type of ship first seen 40 years before the events of The Phantom Menace. The named version, the Millenium Falcon, was built 28 years before The Phantom Menace. Why don't we have other Prequel ships, again?

Is Wave 5 only two ships because the "Rebel Well" has run dry after YT-2400?

I don't see much in terms of non-Prequel Rebel releases other than a few new items from the Rebels cartoon series (at least the VCX-100 "Ghost").

Guesses:

1. We will see VCX-100 "Ghost" sometime late this year (I bet it will be revealed at GenCon)

2. I think the Imps could use more bounty hunters like Dengar's JumpMaster 5000 Scout Ship Punishing One, Zuckuss & 4-LOM's G1-A starfighter Mist Hunter, and maybe IG-88's Aggressor Assault Fighter IG-2000.

3. I assume Huge Imperial ships of one type or another are on the way, and I would be surprised if they didn't include the Gozanti Cruiser.

Edited by evanger

4 Missing SKUs (revealed at GenCon?)

2 Huge Imps:

1. Gozanti Cruiser (worth 1 epic point? Maybe even mounted on a single Huge ship stand; it's only 41m long)

2. Something Else Surprising (worth 4 epic points)

Another Two Ship Wave:

1. VCX-100 Light Freighter Ghost (Rebels tie-in, equalize the Large base count, Rebels vs Imps)

2. A small-base, non-crew Imp ship (maybe the curved-wing TIE Advanced?)

Edited by evanger