Sign in to follow this  
evanger

What Have We Learned?

What an exciting time for this game, its fans, and speculators everywhere!

There are now 4 mystery SKUs remaining.

My gut feeling is that once we see these last four products, the game will be more-or-less complete.

If symmetry is any indicator:

1. The Imps are "missing" two huge ships for epic/cinematic. Rebels have ships worth 2 and 3 epic points. Epic points can theoretically range from 1 to 5.

Will we see something like two Imp vessels, worth 1 and 4 each? This averages to the same as the Rebel epics, and "feels" different, gameplay wise. Would the relatively small Gozanti Cruiser (only 41m long) qualify as worth only 1 epic point? What Imp vessel could be worth more than the CR90 in terms of epic points?

2. The Imps lead in the large base sized ship category, 3 to 2.

Perhaps this sets us up for the last large based ship being the Star Wars: Rebels' Ghost.

3. A single missing Imperial small base ship.

Curved-wing TIE Advanced from Rebels? Prince Xizor's ship? A bounty hunter? Another TIE variant?

Why are you assuming that they are going to stop making things?

FFG has already shown that they are more than comfortable going into the EU for ships and because of that there are still a couple dozen ships they could make.  Once Star Wars: Rebels and Episode 7 come out I imagine there will be even more source material to draw from.  Add to that more repaints ala Imperial/Rebel Aces.

X-Wing is one of FFG's most profitable products and they sure show no signs of slowing down. 

My gut feeling is that once we see these last four products, the game will be more-or-less complete.

X-wing is their best-selling game ever. As long as they don't dilute their branding, and can keep making killer releases, they are going to keep milking the cash cow. And then there's also Episode 7 coming next year.

I realize this is their most profitable game ever (and that is very cool).

I thought I heard somewhere along the lines that the developers said they'd be making something like 30 ships total.

Of course that might change, particularly in light of the first comment (most. profitable. ever.)

I don't think the "X-Wing Miniatures Game" seems like it would scale into either the prequel trilogy or the upcoming trilogy.

If for nothing else, you'd have an issue of naming and scope.

The namesake craft in the game's title isn't around in the prequel era (it was new in A New Hope), and is hopelessly outdated in the upcoming movies (it would be 31 years old).

I guess I can't imagine piling many more ships from this game onto my shelf.

X-wing is their best-selling game ever. As long as they don't dilute their branding, and can keep making killer releases, they are going to keep milking the cash cow. And then there's also Episode 7 coming next year.

I do agree that they would be foolish to not keep milking the cow, but somehow I'd be surprised if this thing goes on (in its current form) all the way through the next trilogy (and spin off movies).

It could totally run through Star Wars: Rebels (right in the sweet spot of the timeline).

Running continuously through Episode 7 etc seems unlikely somehow.

I thought I heard somewhere along the lines that the developers said they'd be making something like 30 ships total.

Even so, they are only at 20 ships including Wave 5.

True.

Not counting the Aces packs.

Add in the 4 mystery items and you'd be in the neighborhood.

In the EU (I realize that the EU has been turned into Star Wars Legends :( ), X-Wings continue being used up until at least 40 years after Episode 4.  They are technically new versions (XJ series instead of T-65 series) but they look basically the same.  Nothing an upgrade card can't fix similar to the B-Wing/E2 card in rebel aces.

Edited by DarthUrsus

In the EU (I realize that the EU has been turned into Star Wars Legends :( ), X-Wings continue being used up until at least 40 years after Episode 4.  They are technically new versions (XJ series instead of T-65 series) but they look basically the same.

You are correct. Even more to your point, the recently leaked pics from the set of Ep. VII seem to show an X-Wing like vessel prop under construction.

To be fair, the Millenium Falcon is said to be over 60 years old already, at the time of ANH. The class of vessel is said to be 72 years old.

Edited by evanger

I don't doubt that you're correct about this, but what source do we learn that from? Do we have stats that FFG has made public?

A corrolary question is: should they keep making it as long as it's profitable? The economic answer (which carries a lot of weight, of course) is "yes". But to what degree will that run the game into the ground in terms of slipping quality control, ever-increasing probabliltiy that something will break the game in terms of mechanics, as well as dilute the 'feel' of the game?

Here is a bit of my logic:

could the game keep on truckin', as is, until 2022? That's when the new trilogy will be done.

Or do they power through this year and next, then re-launch a different core game (maybe even almost fully compatible) re-centered around the new trilogy's technology, characters, and timeframe?

I would not be surprised by a ground based game being announced at GenCon. It will be similar with movement, but obviously not exact as it doesn't work for ground based battles, but think about it. X-Wing is great, but you are missing a huge part of the Star Wars Universe, and with X-wing gradually running out of products, what a better way to split up the releases of new ship than with a new game and new products for that. FFG had Dust Tactics, so it's not like that haven't done a ground based game before.

I could be crazy, and I know that technically it would be self competition, but at this point, you have to try and spread out X-Wing as long as you can... plus lets be honest, it would be pretty cool as well.

Honestly, what I'm hoping for is a parallel game at the capital-scale, which would allow for one or more break-out games of X-Wing on a separate table. The minis would be at a different scale. Let's say that the Star Destroyer (that so many would love to see, but its scale makes it entirely impossible) would be the size of the Tantive and the Tantive the size of a regular small miniature of the current game.

I'd also like to see many more huge ships at the current scale, in this game.

What I do fear (as I mentioned above) is that the current game will be diluted as they scrape ever down into the EU barrel. I don't hate the EU, but some of it is pretty sketch (e.g. Sun Crusher).

I don't doubt that you're correct about this, but what source do we learn that from? Do we have stats that FFG has made public?

I don't have a link handy, but the CEO of FFG said that X-wing is their best-selling SKU of all time, if you include all the expansions together. I believe the single best individual selling SKU was Arkham.

Heh, if they never made a single model or card ever again, this can still remain a best selling series for then. All they have to do is change the name, and release new cards for all existing ones with slightly adjusted stats and costs, call it 2nd edition and every person here will buy it. Rinse and repeat every year and games-workshop would be proud. 

But do I think this is the end? Not by a long shot :)

I don't have a link handy, but the CEO of FFG said that X-wing is their best-selling SKU of all time, if you include all the expansions together. I believe the single best individual selling SKU was Arkham.

Do you know/think that was because Arkham has simply had a longer run (ie. the "...of all time" refers to stock not flow)? Arkham has been out for nearly a decade now, whereas X-Wing has only been around for two years.

Heh, if they never made a single model or card ever again, this can still remain a best selling series for then. All they have to do is change the name, and release new cards for all existing ones with slightly adjusted stats and costs, call it 2nd edition and every person here will buy it. Rinse and repeat every year and games-workshop would be proud. 

NNNNNNOOOOOOOooooooooo!!!!

I guess we could compare this to some of their other expansive games, like Arkham Horror.

That appears to have a base game, 5 accessories, 8 expansions, 49 investigator minis and 71 monster minis.

Makes X-Wing's 1 core game, 22 expansions and 4 accessories look quaint, by comparison.

I get your point, Sithborg.

Just curious...

How firm do you guys feel the "Not Going Into Prequels" line is?

That's tech around 20 years old, in game. At least the stuff active in the Clone Wars. Much of it (at least according to the recently "Legend-ized" EU canon) was still around during the Galactic Civil War time frame of the X-Wing game.

As a counterpoint, how far past the ANH-ESB time frame are they willing to venture?

Record holder thus far is the E-Wing, which first appears 9 years past the Battle of Yavin.

The new trilogy will start 30 years after RotJ; thus roughly 34 years after the Battle of Yavin.

Both of these answers could have profound effects on how many more ships we'll see in this game.

Talk of the game ending is completely ridiculous.

FFG have commited to the Empire/ Rebellion era.

The Rebels series is the beginning of that era and has X-wings in it.

I get the impression lots of people think we aren't going to see releases from this. It boggles my mind.

Also, I heard they are making new movies...with X-wings...

Edited by JaggedLittleFel

The Rebels series is the beginning of that era and has X-wings in it.

I get the impression lots of people think we aren't going to see releases from this. It boggles my mind.

Also, I heard they are making new movies...with X-wings...

Yes, but the X-Wing Expansion Pack has been out for a while now. How long can FFG run on the fumes of the ships that have already been put out? How much new content do they feel they need to continue creating. How long before that new content just gets too weird for fans to embrace?