Raven1015

First Age (Custom Quest)

52 posts in this topic

Ok i see the CBOTR play First quest. This guys play terrible as usual and play attention anything alse then the game but at least i can see cards……… I like pit idea and send hero to the pit is really cool mechanic. cards looks cool! good job! 

I really love those cards and take my hat off for this brilliant work!

I really love those cards and take my hat off for this brilliant work!

Thanks!

On a side note, there should be an update to octgn coming soon that will include a few fixes, and the printable materials already include them

First Age is now available on CardWarden. Find the backup.zip file on the First Age page!

Also, First Age will be coming to Lackey soon as well!

chuckles likes this

Good point. I think it depends on location, as the one I listed was cheaper than SHIP30 for me, but given how expensive shipping is on printerstudio, that one will definitely work better for some people. I'll add it to the page.

I got my whole set from Artscow. Total was 79 bucks shipped. For 3 of everything and how good the card quality was, it was a steal. I hear printerstuido is even cheaper but I haven't checked it out yet. The cards feel and look super close to FFGs. I haven't gotten to play against any of the missions yet, but I plan to soon.

The only minor flaw was that they cut off around the boarders a bit, nothing that makes anything unplayable, but it can be seen on some.

I did sent printerstuido a set of 24 custom heroes I have worked on. Really doing it to see how well they turn out. Only came to 13 shipped. I could have filled out the other slots as I paid for 54 cards but used just 24. Said they wont come in around 9 days though. Will update as I get them

Being inspired by the first age, I have started some second age stuff. I know 1 of the missions is the siege of baradur and the last alliance , trying to pick the other two to really capture key points in the second age.

I just got my cards from Printer Studio, and they are excellent quality. They are slightly larger than FFG's (.5 mm height and length). $40 shipped, super good price. The quality was also roughly on par with FFG's.

Anyone play this quests already? Normaly I don t play custom fans quest but this one looks so good + is a first age....

Today made my first attempt through OCTGN

Glaurung these quests where made for you ... Nightmare packs are like kindergarden compared to First Age quests. I got crashed on two of them (did not tried the first one since the deck I made on OCTGN had Finrod in it), but loved all  of them. Very nice encounter cards, very nice scenarios, very very difficult (more than 10 difficulty IMO). I tried a deck based on Finrod, Finglofin and Beren, while I was questing good, and Fingolfin with his shield was a great defender, I did not manage to have good attack power, mainly cause the quests where giving me a very hard time and did not have the resources to deploy the cards the way I wanted. Managed to place 15 damage points on Carcaroth though hehehehehe

I will defenitily buy the cards to play it, cause in OCTGN making decks is something that I do not like. 

Very nice work indeed, well done and plz make more quests and more cards too (especially Noldor warrior allies)

PS: Can you plz explain me how the pit thing works, I read the quest stages but did not quite get it

Raven1015 likes this

Thanks for trying out First Age and I'm glad you like it! The quests are definitely quite difficult, but are eventually beatable once you get the hang of everything (to give you an idea, I designed the things, and I still lose pretty often!). 

There will definitely be some more quests and player cards on the way. I'm designing the first "expansion" right now, and I hope to have it out around Octoberish. 

As for the pit area, the gist is that the players can choose one hero to be placed there at the start of a game. Whoever gives up that hero may immediately replace that hero and adjust their starting threat accordingly. That area is off limit for player cards, similar to the riddle area in the Dungeons Deep quest. When the counters run out on Eyes in the Dark, the Devouring Werewolf is placed into the pit area and engages in combat with the hero in the pit and Finrod objective. If the hero placed there is destroyed, then you lose. 

If you haven't checked out, give a look at the First Age rules, which explains some of the stuff in more detail. Hope this helps!

Edited by Raven1015

Thanks Raven. I have read the rules already. You explanation make things more clear, i think my problem might be that since i am not that familiar with octgn, making pit areas etc seems a bit strange. When i get the cards i am sure i will understand how it works.

Have tried the seat of morgoth quest yesterday again. I got much further (tweaked my deck a lot) but still lost. I like them very much. Yet again the fact i do not have them on hand and try to make deck only with octgn does not help me.

Really great work. First age is my favourite and recently read sillmarillion for the third time :), now rereading unfinished tales. Well done :)

Hello Raven. I've searched for custom expansions to LOTR and your First Age is excellent. I would like to translate it to polish (in fact I've made PM to you about it). Are you interested?

I've got a plea regarding OCTGN. Could you tag those old approved cards in searchtool in deckbuilder as First Age? It is hard to make a deck when many cards are listed only by name, especially that I'm foreign and I usually use different card names.

First of all thank you for your effort Raven!Your endeavour reached a high final result.I love Silmarillion and its stories and characters and yor work get the theme deep.

Today i got my printer studio cards and i have to say that they also did a great job.I'm so childishly happy today...:-P

Raven1015 likes this

You have done a fantastic effort again this time On the new expansion. Thank you so much for bringing first age on our table

Are there any premature thoughts on another expansion?

Edited by Nickpes
Raven1015 likes this

Thanks beppet and and Nickpes! I'm glad you are enjoying the First Age material.

As for expansions, I've started work on the second quest of the Doom Mastered cycle, which will focus on Turin's time with the outlaws. 

Will we ever see nightmare version of these scenarios? They used to seem hard, but once you know the cards they're extremely easy. Last time I fought Morgoth instead of winning I decided to kill every single enemy worth victory points and capture most treacheries under Caranthir. Encounter deck didn't even try to fight back. Scenarios are still fun, but it would be nice too feel Morgoth's might once more

It's an interesting thought, thanks! Right now, I'm neck deep in designing the Doom Mastered cycle, and should have the 2nd quest out in the next couple of weeks. That alone, in addition to other LOTR LCG stuff, takes up most of the limited free time I have. That being said, I'm definitely not against the idea and would love to do it if I can ever free up some time. So I guess my short answer is "Not anytime soon", but "Potentially in the future"! Sooner if I can recruit a fellow First Age designer or two, which may be a good idea anyway to get these things out faster.

I checked some cards in Polish translation and there is one mistake- Thingol in his rule has House of Finarfin (Ród Finarfina) instead of House of Feanor (Ród Feanora)

Edit: I found another two. Idril returns ally of up to X cost (o koszcie co najwyżej X) instead of ally of X cost (o koszcie co najwyżej X). And Caranthir has in his action -1 attack instead of +1 attack. I hope it doesn't sound like I don't like it, it's the best player-made expansion I ever played

Edited by koriakin97

Thank you Koriakin for bumping this thread as I would have never seen it!    I skimmed through the cards, mostly looking at the heroes, and am blown away be the effort and detail that went into this.  Very awesome job Raven!  I must say it is driving me nuts trying to remember where I know the art for Curufin for.   I keep almost picturing it but just can't quite remember it well enough to identify.  I'm nearly certain it comes from a movie... Egypt for certain...  HA!   Stargate!   fantastic.

I'm curious what program you used to create your output file with the crop marks though.   Does your source art include any excess bleed?  

Thanks koriakin, I'm glad you enjoy the First Age expansion! I will contact the Polish translator and see about fixing those errors.

Slothgodfather, thanks for your kind words as well! I use Strange Eons to make pretty much everything, including the cards themselves and the PDF printables. There's an option in the program to create bleed margins as well.

Edited by Raven1015