Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seiito

Pet Peeves

52 posts in this topic

Just wondering what everyone else finds annoying in an RPG group.

Also feel free to detail your solutions to these problems, if any, and how they have succeeded/failed.

Edited by Seiito

I am fortunate in that I have never been a group with other than good friends, or people referred by good friends, so the group was very well vetted for tools.

The biggest one is the sheer anger that some of my players get after a series of bad rolls. We've all been there, but some of these people are very unbecoming.

Also, I have a player that assumes too much in the group. He knows quite a bit about Star Wars lore, and all his characters inherit the knowledge, I've purposely steered the story in complete opposite ways when he begins to rattle off various Star Wars facts of the the current situation.

I have many more, but if I named them all, people would assume I have a bad group, which is simply not the case.

Col. Orange and whafrog like this

I'm quick coming up on a year of rpg experience and I've only played with the same players: my brother, two of his friends and my dad is the gm. I guess my only issue is how the time we all agree to get together is sort of a loose suggestion to one of those bozos, in particular. He gets away with it because he shows up with my dad's favorite soda... :P

Edited by PrettyHaley
artteach and Col. Orange like this

Dinking around with your bloody smartphone hwen the game is going on. Oh, you missed that it was your turn because you were on Facebook? You character was also distracted and was unable to act. Darn, sucks to be you.

I'm the only one at our table allowed electronics because I use an ipad to roll dice. In general, my dad has that rule at the game table. In fact he has it about the dinner table, the breakfast table... Hmmm! I see a trend. What is it about him and tables!?!?

Desslok, whafrog, cvtheoman and 2 others like this

I mostly play over Skype so that might color things a little.

#1 pet peeve: players who put little or no effort into reading/understanding the rules. There are 2 guy in my group who still doesn't know what each symbol on the dice means after playing for months. Drives me ****ing crazy.

After that, it's people who stop paying attention or go afk and slow everything down because of it. I hate picking up slack, I hate also feeling like I'm stealing the spotlight too much, even if nobody else is trying to step into it and the game is stalling as a result.

Just wondering what everyone else finds annoying in an RPG group.

What bugs the hell out of me? Easy - electronic distractions. Put down the goddamn Ipad, Your farm will not die if you aren't constantly tending to it. Interact with the other humans at the table instead.

Or go away - if you'd rather play video games, then play video games and quit wasting my time.

Dinking around with your bloody smartphone hwen the game is going on. Oh, you missed that it was your turn because you were on Facebook? You character was also distracted and was unable to act. Darn, sucks to be you.

swiftdraw (edit: and Desslok) wins.

Edited by Col. Orange

A player or the GM telling another player what their character would or would not do or what they'd think.

Unless you're playing some babbling fool, 90% of your character never leaves your head.

kaosoe likes this

As someone who has rolled 17 '1's in a row, I understand the anger. I roll abysmally on the rare ocasion I get to play in a game. I also roll brutally good when I run a game.

As to electronics, I have to keep my phone near me as my partner may need backup or a tag out for our little one, and have to leave, but I don't fiddle.

My pet peave is the perpetual min-maxer or tgose that plan out their character from creation to max level. Have an idea sure, but don't hog the core book building your character to level 20 when people need to make their character. I get wanting to make a capable character. Generally, nobody wants to make a useless character.

Finally, and this applies to more than gaming, if you can't make it because life throws you a curveball, I understand. But for fraks sake, communicate it to everyone.

kaosoe likes this

#1 Smart phones and/or digital character sheets.

#2 Players not having spent the 15 minutes needed to spend their XP between sessions but expect the GM to have spent hours in preparation for them.

#3 Walking out to go to the bathroom mid-session (or even midway through a description).

#4 Second guessing GM decision and acting indignent when you have to roll for something to work

#5 Looking at the GM to provide all the fun

#6 Making a joke every time you are interacting with something and then when the GM reacts seriously on it saying "Just kidding! Come on I wasn't really going to do that...."

#7 Critizing a system if your plan doesn't work out as you would have wanted

#8 Showing up way too late to a session

#9 Infighting

#3 Walking out to go to the bathroom mid-session (or even midway through a description).

I'm getting older. That can lead to more trips to the bathroom. If I joined your group would I need to wear depends? :)

#1 Smart phones

This is my #1 also. BUT, I don't force them to NOT have it at the table, just don't play with it. As noted above, some of us have children that could have an emergency or have a workplace that may need to get ahold of them in an emergency.

The outside distractions (don't play with your iphone, turn off that football game on in the background) I think are less of an issue with this narrative play, when it's done right. When running d20 campaigns, a good indication for me of how well the session was going was how many times I had to remind players it was their, "turn", and pull them back from an electronic device, looking at a game manual, etc. But, to be fair, d20 had large lulls for the other players during combat as they awaited their turn. EotE/FFGWarhammer helps greatly to alleviate this with 1) Participation out of turn, and 2) Dynamic initiative, you never know when it might be your turn so pay attention, 3) What the other players did during their turn can more greatly affect what you do - less repeated rounds of generic hit and apply damage repeatedly.

I think I'm making sense?

Edited by Sturn

If my players and I only got together when none of us were on-call, our gaming time would be much less than it is now.

Some of us are ALWAYS on call. Not sure if that deserves a :) or :(.   How about a :unsure: ?

Two of my players and I can technically be considered always on-call, but that's really just a disaster readiness requirement that would require us to report in within 30 minutes if something really bad happens. Thankfully, we play at my place which is only 15 minutes from base.

#3 Walking out to go to the bathroom mid-session (or even midway through a description).

I'm getting older. That can lead to more trips to the bathroom. If I joined your group would I need to wear depends? :)

Let me clearify. I don't mind restroom breaks of course, but I would like to be breaks not people just getting up and walking off mid-game...

#1 Smart phones

This is my #1 also. BUT, I don't force them to NOT have it at the table, just don't play with it. As noted above, some of us have children that could have an emergency or have a workplace that may need to get ahold of them in an emergency.

The outside distractions (don't play with your iphone, turn off that football game on in the background) I think are less of an issue with this narrative play, when it's done right. When running d20 campaigns, a good indication for me of how well the session was going was how many times I had to remind players it was their, "turn", and pull them back from an electronic device, looking at a game manual, etc. But, to be fair, d20 had large lulls for the other players during combat as they awaited their turn. EotE/FFGWarhammer helps greatly to alleviate this with 1) Participation out of turn, and 2) Dynamic initiative, you never know when it might be your turn so pay attention, 3) What the other players did during their turn can more greatly affect what you do - less repeated rounds of generic hit and apply damage repeatedly.

I think I'm making sense?

If my players and I only got together when none of us were on-call, our gaming time would be much less than it is now.

I don't mind people being "on call" to be honest. But I do not enjoy playing a game where my players and/or myself are distracted by such things.

Two of my players and I can technically be considered always on-call, but that's really just a disaster readiness requirement that would require us to report in within 30 minutes if something really bad happens. Thankfully, we play at my place which is only 15 minutes from base.

So you could at least get in one more round before leaving? :)

@Dante - I was being funny, not complaining, I understand your point and agree with it. This was my point. Older males in your group might need some consideration given this is quite common. They aren't meaning to be disrespectful, but avoiding some embrassment and clean-up on aisle 3.

Edited by Sturn
kaosoe and DanteRotterdam like this

I thought of another one that infuriates me. I have a particular player that has a habit of disrupting the game constantly to shoot the breeze with another player. It's never about the game it's always "Have you seen....." or "did you read....".

In the middle of the game I usually let it slide because we're all here as a means to hang out, but it's annoying when I think about it afterwords.

@Dante - I was being funny, not complaining, I understand your point and agree with it. This was my point. Older males in your group might need some consideration given this is quite common. They aren't meaning to be disrespectful, but avoiding some embrassment and clean-up on aisle 3.

Actually at our table it is the twenty something ladies that do this! :)

kaosoe and Sturn like this

For me, it was when Magic the Gathering first came out, people would be playing that at my table when it wasn't their scene.  At least now with smartphones you can be discreet under the table.  

I was that on-call guy recently, but fortunately the most I had to really do during a session is pop open a laptop.  

Actually at our table it is the twenty something ladies that do this! :)

Do they do it together at the same time? If so, its a fairly common social defense (or control) mechanism.

I am someone with a small bladder.  There isn't much I can do about it.  Whether at home with my family, at a movie, or at a gaming session, I have to use the bathroom multiple times an hour.  I do the best I can to limit it, and to do it when my character is not expected to be involved in what is happening.  But not going isn't an option, and the whole group doesn't need to take a break just because I need to.

I have found (in my experience, not saying it is everyone's experience) that the time spent fidgeting with a smart phone is connected to how engaging a game/system is.  Playing EotE as a player last fall, I was never tempted to pull out my phone.  I was fully engaged.  During my three year run in playing Deadlands, I was checking my phone every ten minutes because the game was so un-engaging.  Two hours of rolls for one battle that you had a 50% chance, at best, of surviving.  Little narrative.  Just rolling dice. 

bradknowles likes this

For me its trying to take back actions ofter revealing a plot item as a result or encounter situation.

Once i ask to confirm actions and i reveal a hidden or new element. To late.