Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rakky Wistol

Painter needed- "Vader's" ride

17 posts in this topic

eta-2-darth-vader-2.jpg?w=497&h=322

I want this!!!

Shapeways has Eta-2's... who's got the skill and steady hands for this?

I bought one Eta-2 in the cheap plastic since they are oh so small... I'd gladly  get another in detail for this to sit on my table.

Edited by Rakky Wistol

You could easily do it yourself.

Ship panels

1. Base coat (black or grey - I prefer grey)

2. Paint the panels the two shades of grey.
3. Apply black ink
4. Touch up panels with the original greys.

5. Add a little white/lighter shade of grey to the original greys and run your brush along the edges of the panels (highlighting). You can repeat this step as many times as you like. Once or twice is fine though.

For the Imperial symbols.

1. Grab some custom decal paper. I use Testors. Be sure to get the correct paper (laser or inkjet) to suit your printer.
2. Print design onto the paper.

3. Seal with a matte varnish (I use Testor's dullcote)

4. Paint the area of the model with gloss varnish to make a smooth surface.
5. (Optional) Micro set.
3. Apply decal.
4. (Optional) Apply and re-apply micro sol until happy. This softens the decal and lets it adhere/shape to the surface better.
5. Paint with gloss until you no longer see the decal seam.

Paint the whole model with matte varnish. Again, Testor's Dullcote is fantastic. 4-5 light coats is better than 1 heavy one. Paint the cockpit with the gloss varnish.

Super easy and you will get fantastic results. You really don't have to be a good painter to do this ship. 

Segmentvs likes this

I don't paint anymore. This thing is tiny is the concern. That and I don't have the supplies or anywhere within an hour that sells them. Haven't done decal work.

A 2/4/3/0 with an awing dial and a droid slot with Vader as pilot sounds fun. Definitely more fun than an advanced.

I thought you meant an advance with the wing junked up like some of the old toys had... gotta be a way to melt my mini that looks legit right? I guess that's one use for an advance....

I suppose I'd be willing to give it a spin. Although I don't have a printer and I'm doubtful I could dotage symbols that small. Any idea on the dimensions?

That and I don't have the supplies or anywhere within an hour that sells them. 

An hour .. whoa .. it would be horrible to have to travel for an hour. I can name a hobbit who is despising you this very second.

stegocent likes this

That and I don't have the supplies or anywhere within an hour that sells them. 

An hour .. whoa .. it would be horrible to have to travel for an hour. I can name a hobbit who is despising you this very second.

Well it's an hour to a hobby shop with ok materials.  It's really 2 and a quarter to the closest reputable gaming store that will have the materials I actually want.  That and the start up cost to just buy the basics is why I'd pay someone else to do this one.

Here's some pics as requested with an A-wing which is the ship closest in size.  The WotC one is roughly 1 cm too long, but as tiny as the ship really is it doesn't look too bad in comparison.

MtdNl8H.jpg

UJnPlVu.jpg

cEDuGZb.jpg

And a few shots of my previous work.

uUw2N4f.jpg

46zeF0z.jpg

XPVIkij.jpg

I'd definitely take the WotCs one over the Shapeways one. The Shapeways one looks so rough it would be a nightmare to paint, and despite according to comments being too big it still looks tiny compared to the A-wing. Whereas paintstripping a WotC Eta-2 sculpt and getting that painted would result in a very nice ship indeed.

Edited by Lagomorphia