Sign in to follow this  
arunwe2012

Linked Weapons and Critical Hits

Hi all,

If i succesfully attack with a linked weapon (like the one in a z-95) and activate the linked quality, thus getting an additional hit, can I also activate critical hits in both hits? rules say you can activate one critical per hit, but since linked allows you to make an additional hit, it seems to be you are allowed to activate another critical in this additional attack. Am i right?

Auto Fire specifically states you can activate one critical per hit, so no doubts there :)

From my reading of the rules I'd say you could hit with multiple criticals as long as you have enough advantage to pay for each crit individually.

For example on the Z-95 Light Laser Cannons (which have Critical 3) you would need:

• 2 advantage to activate Linked.
  • 3 advantage to crit with the first hit.
  • 3 more advantage to crit with the second hit.

So assuming you've rolled 8 advantage you can crit with each hit.

That was my thinking too. If you are lucky enough you might get a triumph and use it instead of advantage, but yes, the chances of critically hitting with all cannons are low. Thank you!

EoE CRB p. 158 personal scale, p. 228 vehicle scale, it's one Critical hit per roll not hit, and with each set of additional Advantages able to trigger an additional critical result, +10 is added to the one roll.

Ehhh...no. I am reading right now page 228 and says: "In addition, a character can only generate one Critical Hit per HIT on a target. However, if the roll generates enough <advantage> to result in multiple Critical Hits, the character can choose to add an additional +10 per additional Critical Hit to the result"

On page 158 says "generate one Critical roll per HIT on a target": Slightly different, but same result. It's per HIT, not per roll.

I agree with what arunwe2012 states, that is the RAW. I would also say that is way too powerful and would probably houserule that each additional crit adds +10 to the one crit roll not separate critical hits like 2P51 states. Otherwise every TIE squad that triumphs on you is going to turn PCs into space dust quickly.  As state above by Col. Orange space combat is vicious deadly and this would push it into crazy levels. Having one big crit instead of 2 or 3 little "critters" also speeds the game up and leaves only 1 critical to keep track of.

Thanks all for posting. I am still not convinced one way or another, so I guess I'll play it both ways to check which one's better.

Added: re-reading it again, I think 2p51 and artteach are right. Probably the text should be more clear, but additionals hits on a single target should not trigger more than one critical roll, with +10 to that if advantage available. Still, I think auto-fire should be allowed to generate a critical for every hit, since rules specifically state so, but only again one critical roll with modifiers if it's used against a single target.

Edited by arunwe2012

I submitted the rules question, although even that doesn't mean you can't just house rule it as you see fit.  I've asked a couple question where I don't agree with the answers, so your table, your rules, is my prime directive.

Upon further review, it is clear from the Auto Fire effect multiple hits can cause multiple crits, it says that very specifically.  Two Weapon combat is a little less specific but seems to say something similar, in saying additional Advantages and Triumphs can trigger effects for each weapon.  Linked says nothing at all either way, however given the other two multi hit effects I think it highly likely that the official answer will be you can score multiple critical rolls from multiple Linked hits.

Now of course watch the official answer be no.............. :wacko:

Edited by 2P51

kaosoe was nice enough to start a thread that has official answers.  When I get the info Ill pass it to him and he will add it to the correct section.  I'll post the answer as well in this thread but not there.  He is trying to keep that thread short and clean.

kaosoe's thread  http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/108101-ffg-developer-answered-questions/

That was my thinking too. If you are lucky enough you might get a triumph and use it instead of advantage, but yes, the chances of critically hitting with all cannons are low. Thank you!

(Getting 1 Success, 1 Triumph and 5 Advantage has a probability of approx 0.2% if you use a YYGGDDB. 1 in 500 chance to crit twice.)

Can you roll multiple critical hits with a single attack, if the attack lands multiple hits, ie, you get 3 hits on an auto fire attack and theoretically have enough advantages for 3 critical hit results

Criticals are generated on a "per hit" basis. So if you've got multiple hits, you can have multiple crits, just one per hit.

Sam Stewart

Senior RPG Producer

Fantasy Flight Games

(Getting 1 Success, 1 Triumph and 5 Advantage has a probability of approx 0.2% if you use a YYGGDDB. 1 in 500 chance to crit twice.)

For those who are curious:

$ ruby dicecalculator.rb -D:PPAADDB -T:SRAAAAA -R:9

++++RESULTS for Dice Pool: PPAADDB++++
Total Chance of Success: 83.99839048%
Total Chance of Advantage: 74.123467339%
Total Chance of Threat: 11.166607892%
Total Chance of Failure Symbol: 5.892831308%
Total Chance of Reaching Target (SRAAAAA): 0.202094184%
Total Triumph Chance: 15.972222222%
+++++++++++++++

The probability of getting Success and 8 Advantage is ~0.015%, according to the same program:

$ ruby dicecalculator.rb -D:PPAADDB -T:SAAAAAAAA -R:9

++++RESULTS for Dice Pool: PPAADDB++++
Total Chance of Success: 83.99839048%
Total Chance of Advantage: 74.123467339%
Total Chance of Threat: 11.166607892%
Total Chance of Failure Symbol: 5.892831308%
Total Chance of Reaching Target (SAAAAAAAA): 0.015174018%
Total Triumph Chance: 15.972222222%
+++++++++++++++

So, the probability of getting one or the other is just over 0.21%:

$ bc -l
0.015174018+0.202094184

Thanks, @Litheon!

I don't want to clog this topic up with probability stats, so last post about that.

You can't really just add them together, because their probability overlaps.

For example, SRA fits both into SR and SA, so if you add SR and SA together, you'll be adding SRA twice, as well as SRAA, SRRA, etc etc etc.

(The actual probability of double critting on the roll is 0.35%. still low, but higher than 0.21%)

*/off topic-ness*

Re-edit.

There can only be one critical per hit.(same or different target)

So firing the linked weapons from a Z-95 star fighter would look like this.

After the successful hit.....

1: Spend 2 advantages to activate the linked weapon fire.

2: Spend 3 advantages to activate the first critical.

3: Spend 3 advantages to activate a second critical.

In the case of something with auto fire,each successful hit(same or different target) may cause a critical if there is enough advantages/triumphs.

Also,on a single hit,if there is enough advantages/triumphs to activate a critical beyond the first,then each additional adds a +10 to the first critical roll.

I apologize for the misinformation i had listed prior to this re-edit.

Edited by sithlord71

You can only gain one critical hit per target. Any additional activated critical hits on the same target adds a +10 per additional critical activated.

3: Spend 3 advantages to activate a second critical.(This second critical adds +10 to the original critical hit roll) 

In the case of something with auto fire that allows a chance to hit multiple targets,you can activate critical hits as normal since each critical would apply to different targets.

This contradicts the answer given by the line developer. Each hit can cause a Critical Hit with sufficient Advantages/Triumphs, and additional activations beyond the number of hits provide +10 to one of the critical hits (presumably the last one rolled would be chosen for greatest effect),

Just curious what people though of a really nasty weapon, the Vibrosword?

After looking over the mods which can be added,it can almost become an auto crit weapon.

Example: Vibrosword: damage+2/crit.2/encumbrance3/pierce2/vicious1/defensive1.

Now add the following mods. Superior weapon quality and Monomolecular edge.

Results:

Vibrosword: dam+3/crit.1/encumbrance2/pierce2/vicious1/defensive1.

The superior weapon quality grants an automatic advantage.

So which means that as long as the hit is successful,it becomes an automatic critical due to the advantage gained from superior weapon quality.So if someone rolled a successful hit and generated 4 advantages+1 automatic advantage(5 total),a

critical hit can be activated by one advantage and the remaining 4 advantages would grant a +40 to the critical roll.Now since the vibrosword has vicious1,that adds another +10 to the critical roll for a total of +50.

This also means that if someone rolled a 91 or higher on the percentile roll for this critical,it would basically mean certain death.

So,what do you think of this nasty weapon?

Just cruel to say the least.

You can only gain one critical hit per target. Any additional activated critical hits on the same target adds a +10 per additional critical activated.

3: Spend 3 advantages to activate a second critical.(This second critical adds +10 to the original critical hit roll) 

In the case of something with auto fire that allows a chance to hit multiple targets,you can activate critical hits as normal since each critical would apply to different targets.

This contradicts the answer given by the line developer. Each hit can cause a Critical Hit with sufficient Advantages/Triumphs, and additional activations beyond the number of hits provide +10 to one of the critical hits (presumably the last one rolled would be chosen for greatest effect),

I apologize,my wording to this was jumbled.

Yes,each hit would cause a critical roll providing you have enough advantages/triumphs.

Beyond the normal hit(s) that were successful,any additional advantages/triumphs beyond those for the hit(s) could grant a +10/per critical activated.

Again,i do apologize.

The superior weapon quality grants an automatic advantage.

So which means that as long as the hit is successful,it becomes an automatic critical due to the advantage gained from superior weapon quality.

Since you can still get threat results in your dice pool, no, Superior does not mean an automatic crit even with the weapon that you describe.

Ok so how does this work??

X-Wings have LInked 3 so does that mean you need to have...

A. 9 Adv to activate ALL 4 lasers??  So 1 Success, 9 Adv & then you get to hit w/ all 4 lasers?

or

B. 3 Adv to activate ALL 4 lasers??  So 1 Success 3 Adv & then All 4 hit?

2nd Question...

When you have 1 Blaster & it is a standard 3 Adv to Crit...If you roll, 4 Success & 6 Adv, does that mean you have Crit 2x??

Or

According to what 2P said from Sam, since it is only 1 Gun & 1 Shot, you can only Crit 1x?? 

I ask because yesterday we were PWNING these droids and we were stacking Crits ALL NIGHT!  Sometimes multiples on a Single shot because we had the ADV to do it, most of the time because others were hitting Crits too.

3rd Q...

How many Adv does it take to give yourself strain during combat?  To give another player a Blue Die help during combat if you rolled extra ADV?  And How many ADV it takes to give yourself an extra BLUE die for your next attack??

THANK IN ADVANCE!

2 adv for each additional shot for linked.

Multiple activations of crit on a single shot are +10 to the single crit roll if you like.

1 adv = 1 Strain recovered.  1 adv to give someone else a boost die, 2 adv to give yourself one for the next check.

Ok so how does this work??

X-Wings have LInked 3 so does that mean you need to have...

A. 9 Adv to activate ALL 4 lasers??  So 1 Success, 9 Adv & then you get to hit w/ all 4 lasers?

or

B. 3 Adv to activate ALL 4 lasers??  So 1 Success 3 Adv & then All 4 hit?

CRB page 156, the Linked quality says that it's 2 advantages to gain an additional hit, up to a number of additional hits equal to the linked rating. So 2 advantage per hit, linked 3 means 6 advantages to hit with all four weapons.

2nd Question...

When you have 1 Blaster & it is a standard 3 Adv to Crit...If you roll, 4 Success & 6 Adv, does that mean you have Crit 2x??

Or

According to what 2P said from Sam, since it is only 1 Gun & 1 Shot, you can only Crit 1x?? 

I ask because yesterday we were PWNING these droids and we were stacking Crits ALL NIGHT!  Sometimes multiples on a Single shot because we had the ADV to do it, most of the time because others were hitting Crits too.

CRB page 158, under the Critical Rating (Crit) heading. "In addition, a character can only generate one Critical roll per hit on a target. However, if the roll generates enough [advantage] to trigger the critical rating of the weapon multiple times, the character can choose to add +10 to the critical injury roll for each subsequent trigger."

One weapon, one crit. It can be a devastating crit, though. For your example, with 6 advantages, that's one crit roll at 1d100+10.

3rd Q...

How many Adv does it take to give yourself strain during combat?  To give another player a Blue Die help during combat if you rolled extra ADV?  And How many ADV it takes to give yourself an extra BLUE die for your next attack??

THANK IN ADVANCE!

CRB 206 there is a huge table that tells you how to spend your advantage in combat. The very first option under one advantage is to recover 1 strain.

-EF