Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RuneSmith

Are the expansions a bit of a rip off?

74 posts in this topic

OK, you have the basic game and want to expand your number of x wings. You buy one expansion, get a lovely model and some cool new cards and pilots. You buy another expansion, get another sweet model and,...all the same cards you got last time. As most of the pilots are unique you now have a load of duplicate cards you don't need and can't use. If you want a TIE swarm that's gonna be even worse. It should be possible to buy miniatures without the cards.

Also with you saying most of the pilots are unique, well buying multiple ships works in your favor. For instance you buy 1 expansion and get 3 unique pilots well you would need to play 3 separate games to try them all out. Buy 3 ships you can play all 3 at once. The bulk of your money invested in this game goes towards the production of the miniatures the cards are like a bonus to the package. Not to mention you also get all of the non-unique cards in the expansions which allow you to play your favorite expensive pilots and a bunch of cheap pilots to go with him/her.

OK, you have the basic game and want to expand your number of x wings. You buy one expansion, get a lovely model and some cool new cards and pilots. You buy another expansion, get another sweet model and,...all the same cards you got last time. As most of the pilots are unique you now have a load of duplicate cards you don't need and can't use. If you want a TIE swarm that's gonna be even worse. It should be possible to buy miniatures without the cards.

Cards are dirt cheap to make. The minis really wouldn't be much cheaper without them. If you want to get naked minis though, they go up on eBay every now and again for about the same price as the blister.

GrandAdmiralCrunch likes this

For the amount of plastic you get, X-Wing is more expensive on a per model basis than most minis games. Its more expensive than Malifaux, Flames of War, Marmachine, and even GW. Comparing X-Wing to GW you get 10 ships plus the rules for only those ships for $150 versus 10-20 models plus a faction rulebook for $85-100 in most cases.

There are two major things to keep in mind though.

1. Unlike all the other games listed above, the X-Wing ships are pre assembled and pre painted (and nicely at that).

2. Aside from Malifaux, those fewer models you get in X-Wing will take you much further towards a tournament level force than the other games. X-Wing tends to top out at 5-8 figures. Aside from corner cases like 9 model Chaos armies and 30 model Ogre armies, 40K armies can easily hit 50-100 models and Fantasy can range anywhere from 10-500 models depending on the army.

So X-Wing expansions ARE expensive compared to others, but you need far less of them and you need to put far less work into them.

Edited by AverageBoss

Having duplicates of the named pilots isn't always a bad thing. My 10-year old daughter plays and likes to go to tournaments. If she and I both want to use the same named pilot we can as long as I've got enough models. 

Hell, as I've introduced players to the game, there have been times that 2 games worth of squads (2 rebel, 2 imperial) were made from my collection. Again, duplicate named pilots are helpful here.

Dont forget GW stuff comes unpainted so on top of the model you need £10 worth of paint if not more, also you need to glue them so thats another £5 on top of paints and the model itself.

Whats more if your playing 40k a 10 man squad will be 1/20th of your force, but a ship in x-wing can be a 1/4 to a 1/3 when playing 100 points.

To get a tournament swarm list would be £86.32 with a discount from an online site, for 40k your looking at £300ish for a 1k force and easily £1500 for a 2k list.

In a vacuum yes individual ships are pricey but  compared to other games the cost of entry is much lower and you will complete a fleet for alot less money.

The ships are ridiculously expensive, about three times what they should be selling for... alas that is the price we must pay to fund the cost of the licence.

Forensicus likes this

When calculating the cost of any wargame, I always calculate how much you need to pay to be able to play a tournament sized game. This actually means that X-wing is one of the cheapest in existence as you only need the starter set and two more expansions to reach that level and even at its most expensive level (8 Tie Fighters) you are still not paying nearly as much as most other wargames. Of course that doesn't stop us from buying more plastic crack than we actually need, now does it? :D

I'd like to see more box sets like the Aces. I think it would be cool to do a Black Squad set with Vader and 2 TIE fighters a la A New Hope. It is always nice to get new cards and more ships in one place, but the expansions really open up the game. My game improved when I picked up Core + TIE Fighter. Howlrunner changes TIEs.

I'd like to see more box sets like the Aces. I think it would be cool to do a Black Squad set with Vader and 2 TIE fighters a la A New Hope. It is always nice to get new cards and more ships in one place, but the expansions really open up the game. My game improved when I picked up Core + TIE Fighter. Howlrunner changes TIEs.

As cool as that would be, given we already have black squadron generics, and cadets black squadron wingmen, and darth vader, I highly doubt we will ever see a black squadron box. Who would the new pilots be?

The ships are ridiculously expensive, about three times what they should be selling for... alas that is the price we must pay to fund the cost of the licence.

The ships sell for what the market will bear.  They could price significantly higher and people (not all but most) would still buy them, and withe the higher margin, FFG could make fewer and net the same or more.

Be grateful they didn't set MSRP much higher.

Edited by dojimaster
Parravon and Captain Lackwit like this

No offence but "HELL WITH THAT!!!"  I would much rather have seprate card booster packs than minis without cards.

I got 8 reg Interceptors and 7 of each 181st and Royal Interceptors with plans to get another 7 interceptors (one at a time).  Only way to get stealth device is Slave 1.  To have a stealth device for all Interceptors I need 14 slave 1s.

Nickotine42 likes this

No offence but "HELL WITH THAT!!!"  I would much rather have seprate card booster packs than minis without cards.

I got 8 reg Interceptors and 7 of each 181st and Royal Interceptors with plans to get another 7 interceptors (one at a time).  Only way to get stealth device is Slave 1.  To have a stealth device for all Interceptors I need 14 slave 1s.

To be fair, with Lt. Blount on the scene, I'm not sure those are wise investments at this point. Hull upgrade is quite a bit better and you have plenty of those. :)

Further, monoculture lists are often rather brittle. It's better to run a varied list to take care of different threats.

Vorpal Sword, stegocent and Dm1012 like this

Besides it is often the cards you want, not the miniature.

When you said this I immediately thought the chocolate frogs from Harry Potter (movie 1). 

Also with those expansions (just don't buy them high)  buy them below list, and buy in bulk to see if you can get free shipping. 

But cards and the minis are totally worth it, also so is FFG support if something is busted.   They are one of the best. 

Parakitor likes this

Further, monoculture lists are often rather brittle. It's better to run a varied list to take care of different threats.

Hmm. Somewhere I heard about a couple of monoculture lists doing very well. Something about 5 Gamma Bombers with Seismics. Must just be my imagination ;P

Hmm. Somewhere I heard about a couple of monoculture lists doing very well. Something about 5 Gamma Bombers with Seismics. Must just be my imagination ;P

Oh, they can be fun. But that list has problems. It's great fun, especially against people who have never flown against it before. :) But considering that, in a 100 point list, you can only fly 4 Interceptors with Stealth device or 12 in an Epic list, I find it questionable to buy 14 firesprays because you need the cards. At that point, it's not a tournament, proxy it. :)

Revanchist likes this

Not really, if you shop online. I don't like paying $15 per ship, but $10 is certainly doable. Amazon is usually pretty good and often has free shipping. Not bad at all. I do hate when people ask "how much have you spent on this game?"
Usually results in a "shut up and be thankful I've provided all this for us to play with"

Caadium, Segmentvs and Vonpenguin like this

x-wing is by far the most wallet friendly starting out.

you can spend $100 and if you practice and know your stuff still compete with 99% of the rest of the players out there and have fun doing it.

you don't need to spend hundreds of $$$ to be competitive and have a good time. you would be hard pressed to say that about the other games mentioned.

the only other game that has been that much fun right from the starting gate was Dust Tactics, but that game escalated into an arms race pretty quickly.

the thing i love about x-wing is you could have all the ships and all the cards and think you are the best thing since sliced bread, but you can still get your teeth handed to you by someone using the core set/wave 1 ships.

it's all about how you fly....and how much love the dice gods show you!

Edited by ReaverRandall
EvilEd209 and VanorDM like this

X-wing's only as expensive as it is because we all want to buy every ship, far more than we could field. Imagine how expensive something like Warhammer would be if you tried to get a viable force for every single faction.

VanorDM likes this

You know, full store price is a bit high, but I save thst for impulse purchases. Online, prices are dirt cheap for what you get. Your tie swarm can be had for less than $100 if you buy three starters and two blisters online, that will leave you holding three handsom xwings as well. Not to mention spare templates, dice and damage decs.

Buy one xwing blister and you will have free shipping and two tournament ready lists.