Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Captain_Arrr

Which is the better support ship? Kyle, Garven, Roark or Dutch?

23 posts in this topic

I am working on a Regionals list and I want to throw in some support. I have used Dutch and Garven together, but Garven may not be conducive to my style. He has to use the token to pass it and it left me with little chance to pass the token in som games. I like Kyle`s ability but he can get expensive kitted out right. Roark may be a good cheap alternative. Dutch is an excellent pilot but I feel the rebels have too many good ways to pass out Target locks.

Any thoughts?

I have used Dutch and Garven together, but Garven may not be conducive to my style. He has to use the token to pass it and it left me with little chance to pass the token in som games.

All Garven needs to do is attack someone. Are you saying you got little chance to attack with Garven?

I think you don't even need to attack with Garven. You just say you are spending the token an pass it off

No. That does not work. You got to have something to spend it on.

Garven (and anyone for that matter) can use a focus token even if no eyeballs come up on the die rolls. It is just wasted for other ships to do that, but for Garvin he can pass his spent token to someone else.

Stone37 likes this

I think you don't even need to attack with Garven. You just say you are spending the token an pass it off

No. That does not work. You got to have something to spend it on.

Though Garven can spend focus tokens even without rolling any eyes, he still needs to be attacking or defending to be able to pass the tokens.

I like Roark for his cheap cost and long ranged ability. When you play with Biggs he keeps him longer alive. Due to more ships you should be able to destroy before they have a chance to shoot at Biggs.

I do not believe in upgrading him too much or having an expensive support ship for that matter. Just slap on a Ion turret for more board control and you're good to go.

Depends. Against Phantoms, Roark. Reliability wise, Garven. In epic Kyle(because Turret). Dutch is great with ordnance users and the Tantive. So base it on your build.

Based on some FB post made by Ffg I'm not certain wave 4 will be regional eligible. At least not next weekends in MN

That being said I like turrets and especially ions. I used to have Roark in that spot but went with Dutch for the alpha event. The extra hp is what swayed my decision.

Edited by Nickotine42

Link to said FB post?  I would hope FFG puts W4 on the ban list, but seeing as they didn't put han/leia/c3po/r2d2 from the tantive on the ban list... I'm not sure they will.  

Furthermore, it'll clear up (for those that are confused) that han/leia/c3po/r2d2 are indeed LEGAL right now because they're not on the ban list.  Some people think that because the rules put in parentheses of an example of when something could get banned (dropping in the middle of the season) that it means that everything that drops in the middle of the season is banned...

When it clearly says only the things on the ban list (which doesn't exist right now) are banned.

Mace Windu likes this

Link to said FB post?  I would hope FFG puts W4 on the ban list, but seeing as they didn't put han/leia/c3po/r2d2 from the tantive on the ban list... I'm not sure they will.  

Furthermore, it'll clear up (for those that are confused) that han/leia/c3po/r2d2 are indeed LEGAL right now because they're not on the ban list.  Some people think that because the rules put in parentheses of an example of when something could get banned (dropping in the middle of the season) that it means that everything that drops in the middle of the season is banned...

When it clearly says only the things on the ban list (which doesn't exist right now) are banned.

https://www.facebook.com/events/852428731440583/899657906717665/?ref=notif&notif_t=plan_mall_activity

It's in the comments section.

Khyros likes this

I personally like Jan as a support ship for some of my high PS ships, if I'm taking a support oriented ship. Most of the time I don't though. That being said I've seen Dutch and Garven used to great effect, especially in tandem. And on top of that, Roark paired with a high PS ship with Swarm Tactics can be a real winner as far as shooting first goes, plus he can be a decently cheap Ion platform.

It mostly depends what you want and what you value. What's the rest of the list look like?

Edited by failedparachute

It is definitely Dutch Vander. The restrictions on his support ability are easier to manage than Garvin's, and generating Target Locks is stronger than a focus. He is also a great support ship by bringing Ion to your squad to set up for future Target Locked attacks. Since he uses a turret and Garvin does not, he can fly out of formation and turn instead of K-turning while passing Target Locks to friendly K-turners that turn. 

I love Dutch throw in R5K6 and if you are lucky its TLs for everyone. 

Roark is also very good value, and with range 3 support his ability gets plenty of play.