Sign in to follow this  
MacrossVF1

[Review] Cog 'O' Two X-wing templates

Similar post has probably been written but I do not get any results when searching the forum. Of course, that is mostly due to the face that the search function don't allow words that are 'too short'. Bah! Humbug! In any case, this is another copy and paste from my blog, since it seems to work so well. Enjoy!

A couple of weeks ago me and my gaming buddies decided to get some laser cut acrylic templates for our X-wing games. Seeing as we live in Sweden, we didn't want to deal with the fairly expensive US customs and postage costs, so instead we looked for something closer to home. And after some searching on the web we found a British company called Cog 'O' Two that produce and sell gaming aids for X-wing.

Templates1.JPG

Templates2.JPG

Imperial Green, Rebel Blue, Rebel Orange and Imperial Red

I chose the Imperial Green set with it's lovely neon green colour (reminds me of laser cannon fire from TIE fighters) but there are three more colours to choose from, as you can see in the second picture. I must say that I really like the design of these sets and the price was not too bad either at 12 £ for a set. They arrived well protected by bubble wrap and the templates themselves had a plastic covering on the back and a paper cover on the front. You can actually see part of the paper cover inside the cog-symbol on both the orange and red template because two of my friends thought it would be a good idea to leave them on.

As for precision, I sat down and compared my green set to the default set I got from the starterbox using a calliper. There are indeed variances between the sets but the biggest difference I could find was only 0,5mm. In my book that is perfectly within acceptable limits. All in all a good substitute for the starter set. The only complaint I have is the range ruler as the divider between ranges is perhaps not as clear as it should be. On the other hand Cog 'O' Two has a handy solution to that as well.

Templates4.JPG

The Short Range ruler cost 6 £ and contains only four pieces compared to the twelve in the other set. On the other hand they are so damned versatile that I have a hard time imagining playing without them. The first two pieces are just what the name suggest, shorter versions of normal range ruler. The longer piece cover range 1-2 and the other one only cover range 1. Ever had trouble getting the normal ruler between ships? Tired of knocking over your precious fighters? Having problems seeing if that important shot is range two or three? These two pieces solve all that and more! I cannot stress enough how convenient it is to have shorter rulers.

The other two pieces are perhaps not as useful but they are still quite good. They represent forward move 1 and 2 but with notches cut into the sides. Why would you need that, you might ask? Well those notches correspond to the guides on small and big ship bases, making them excellent for marking the position of a ship.

All in all, both me and my friends are very happy with our purchase. Indeed, we are so happy, that in the future we might very well replace the normal paper tokens with products from Cog 'O' Two.

Edited by MacrossVF1

I gotta say I love my cog 'o' two's, I got the movement templates and the additional ones, also to the focus/stress/evade set, love em all. Messaged them a while ago about target locks not really heard much back about them.

It seems that every company I managed to find online had at least one item that wasn't very good (personal opinion obviously) and with cog's it was there target locks and ion tokens, the next one I found was the Aussies (laser touch I think) all there stiff looked really good, darker plastic than cog's and I really liked them but again there ion's were horrible, that and the postage to the uk would double the cost after selecting 10 of everything.

But I recently came across a firm on eBay who's full set of ten of everything works out as £30 delivered, every token is really good, In fact it might be too close to ffg's tokens for comfort so I'm buy them straight away In case they get removed and they also do custom templates where you can have what you want engraved on them. So I'll just buy there tokens and use them with my cog templates. They are called Gemcat.

Edit: forgot to add that the cog stuff look so much better after getting a splash of paint on them. So glad I resisted the urge to pull the plastic off straight away to use them.

Hoping the gemcat's can be painted as well.

Edited by KillMaimBurn

I got my tokens from Cog a couple weeks ago and I LOVE 'em! Definitely need to paint them white before removing the plastic though. It really makes them pop.

The only ones I didn't order were Critical damage and target locks, as I didn't love their versions. Those I ordered from Litko the same day I ordered from CoT. The Litko ones haven't even shipped yet... :(

I can't praise Cog'O'Two enough. The quality, design, speed of shipping/delivery were all fantastic!

I love my cog o two templates as well. Imperial red with paint gets more comments than my repaints.

Quick question though, what's the notches for on the 1 and 2 forward that comes with the range 1 and 2 templates? I can't really find a use for them yet.

I love my cog o two templates as well. Imperial red with paint gets more comments than my repaints.

Quick question though, what's the notches for on the 1 and 2 forward that comes with the range 1 and 2 templates? I can't really find a use for them yet.

They fit over the movement template nubs on the small and large ship bases, to be used for marking a ship position when you need to remove it from a crowded board temporarily to make placing movement templates easier, or perhaps allow for easier placement of bombs and the like under existing ships.

Sorry MacrossVF1 my post was literally the last thing I did before knocking everything off so didn't see your post, I'm not very good with links/photos but here's a copy/paste of eBay page. Just a google of 'gemcat tokens' brought it up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-80-Tokens-X-Wing-Miniatures-GemCat-WARS-Design-/291161706693?pt=Games_US&hash=item43ca9710c5

@veldrin, nice to see you painted yours. I agree with you that cog's are the best by a margin, there detail is second to none and there focus and evades especially are better than anything ffg has released, it's just such a shame about the ion and target locks, I just want consistency across my whole set, hence the gemcat's.

I also recently got a set of these from Cog o Two, overall very happy with them. They look great with some paint on the markings if you do it before you take the tape off it's really easy.

I did have one slight issue in that the range ruler that came with them is shorter than the cardboard one that came in the core set. After emailing Cog o Two and a little bit of research online I found out what the correct length should be and it turned out the one from Cog o Two is exactly 300mm which is right. Seems my base game cardboard one is almost 2mm longer than it should be.