Sign in to follow this  
Crunchysam42

Lets take a deep breath

So we all want big ships for the Empire. But we all seem to want ridiculous things. I know my group would be content with an Empire upgrade pack for the CR-90. It would be cost effective for FFG and easily produced to get in to my greedy fingers. And why do we need big ships? We have Slave One. Lets get more bounty hunters.

Hound's Tooth: YV-666 Light Freighter

62 Meters

Has Shields

Quad Laser Cannon

Ion Cannon

Con Missile Launcher

Has room for upgrades and crew

This is a perfect ship for our uses.

A realistic request is the IPV-1 System Patrol Craft

120 Meters

4 turbos

a missile launcher

Crew and such

So lets be thoughtful towards the people that we throw our money at. They have done amazing. They will not let us down. They have not done so yet.

I think the IPV-1 is the sort of ship most likely encountered. It's the real small workhorse of the Empire.

However, while it may be an entirely subjective thing, does it actually look good enough to make people want to buy it?

I'm curious how well their sales numbers on the Transport and the Tantive are doing. I've actually been seeing quite a number of people in my local area buying them, but people have been hesitant to actually introduce them in play. There seems to just be a lot of zeal for the 6-asteroid-100pnt-death-match, in which the huge ships really have no place.

I imagine if FFG sees they're selling well, they'll produce more. If not, they won't. The problem is that 'huge' ships that are small enough to fit into the game are not as iconic (ie. seen in the movies) as the Transport and the Tantive. I think they might be better off selling the Death Star. You can already get game mats and turbolaser towers from independent manufacturers. FFG might want to muscle those independents out with superior distribution, officialdom, and a good ruleset.

Edited by Mikael Hasselstein

Love the input!! There is a few pics of a rounded ipv. Much better looking than that pointy nosed thing on wookiepedia. But Hound's Tooth is a perfect in between craft. Moderate length, good weapons, great pilot.

My brain turned back on... an imperial transport... a Star Galleon 300 meters is a bit long. Hmmmmm. But 5 turbolasers and a missile launcher. It is not op like a carrack. We wont have to strip down a lancer.

The reason people clamor for the star destroyer is not because it's the most viable or rational option, it's because it's just as iconic as the corvette. Everyone knows what a star destroyer is, and that's about it.

Not everyone who plays X-Wing played the computer games, I would say that a good portion of people who play this game have only watched the movies. Because of that it's hard to appeal on that level.

The corvette is iconic. For that reason alone people want to buy it. An imperial patrol craft? Not so iconic.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not making a case for a star destroyer, I'm just attempting to shed light on a probable dilemma that FFG faces in making an imperial epic ship.

I was giving it some thought, and with the lack of an iconic Imperial huge ship small enough to fit in this game, it occurred to me that there is a large ship that has been floating around as a possible addition to the game that carries heavy enough armaments to combat capital ships: the skipray blastboat.  25 meters long puts it solidly in large base territory, between the 20 meter shuttle and the 30+ YT-1300. 

The idea, then, would be to give the blastboat some anti-capital strength weaponry.  To balance this out, they could make it the first epic-only large base ship (not a fan of the idea), or give it an epic-only title that enhances its stats for purposes of epic play so that it fits into 100-point play without being too ridiculous.  Or whatever they need to do to make it work, basically.

I was giving it some thought, and with the lack of an iconic Imperial huge ship small enough to fit in this game, it occurred to me that there is a large ship that has been floating around as a possible addition to the game that carries heavy enough armaments to combat capital ships: the skipray blastboat.  25 meters long puts it solidly in large base territory, between the 20 meter shuttle and the 30+ YT-1300. 

Yes, it seems like most of what is in the Imperial side that can reasonably be developed is in the large-size category, rather than huge-size.That's regrettable. I guess they'll make the decision based off how well the transport and the Tantive sell. How much of a market is there for huge ships. Are people buying them because they're iconic, or are they buying them because they provide for a good game.

What are your thoughts on this matter?

Actually, the love for the blastboat is most confusing to me. One appeared briefly in X-wing Alliance as the only thing you could fly circles around in a Y-wing, but aside from that I only remember Luke crashing one into wherever it is that ysalamiri come from. Am I missing something?

It would probably be too anticlimactic, but the modified corvette would be kinda cool. Do it up in blue and a darker grey or something.

Edited by PenguinBonaparte

Wookiepedia has the list of appearances for the Skipray.

My vote also goes to more bounty hunters. And the outrider for the rebel scum. Where would the Empire be without them having targets for us? My non cloned Imperial soldiers fighting the rebel terrorists need to stay busy.