Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Olorin93

The "ignore" settings

26 posts in this topic

When I joined these forums almost a year ago, it was a rather small, friendly community, interested in discussing and sharing opinions on the Card Game. 

The last few months, especially in this General forum, I think discussions have really gone downhill. Instead of talking about the game itself and hearing each other out, users snap at and insult each other and start flame wars over their different opinions, or sometimes seemingly just because they're bored. It's like coming to a board of 10-year-olds.

Since I've seen several members both get dragged down into this and wasted energy trying to get topics back on track (I think I'm guilty of both), I'd like to remind everyone that there is an "Ignore user" feature in your profile settings. I thought I'd have to request one, but it's right there.

If a user repeatedly whines in threads and spreads bitterness or makes personal attacks instead of contributing to the discussion in a civilised manner, don't feed the troll. Just press "ignore". It will make your forum experience so much better.

Wait so you won't see any of their posts on any threads?

Also I agree with you, it has pretty much seemed this way since I joined in February.

Edited by PsychoRocka

Yes! You can choose to ignore their posts, signatures and any private messages sent to you. I have used Adblock Plus for Firefox for a while now to get rid of the Comment section on Youtube as well, and it has definitely improved web browsing.

Another option is to hit the "Report" link on each horrible post and eventually, if the person keeps getting reported, they'll be kicked from the forum. If we all do it, it shouldn't be long before they're booted.

Edited by joezim007

Another option is to hit the "Report" link on each horrible post and eventually, if the person keeps getting reported, they'll be kicked from the forum. If we all do it, it shouldn't be long before they're booted.

or, if there are folks that constantly bring negativity to the forums...why doesn't everyone stop responding to the threads they create? if no one (or only a few) respond to what they post, it creates less of a reason for them to continue coming back.

but yes, i have ignored a few people. :)

shipwreck likes this

Ok, this is not so cool as you promised, because now there's a white bar instead of a post that asks me "View it anyway?"

so...

tempting...

This option may be better - as a filter for infractions rather than a blanket ignoring of anything a user says/

It is depressing that this forum post exists at all.

I agree that I have felt less like reading and posting on this forum in the last few months than previously, which is very sad.

Hmmm people is people. And you know what? They are different! !! That why if somewhere have people start talk and after became to dispute and even come to war.... but that how is the world working. We all here from different countries different cultures so just accept it and choose what you need.

Well, for my own part I choose not to ignore anybody. I think that I just don't really view this forum as an "experience" like others do. If I dont agree with some users or see their posts as offensive, I just don't care or just ignore them (in the real sense). I think it's extremely exaggerated when some anonymous forum user dislikes so much another anonymous forum user that they can't even look at his/her posts. If you get so worked up about some posts that you can't stand, not even reading their posts because you can simply not read them, but just looking at the username, there could be something wrong with you. I guess I just prefer to take or leave the forum as it is, plus some good can come from it. At first I hated Glaurung and just saw him like this guy who complains in his weird Tommy Wiseau voice but now I've come to respect him a lot more, and his posts have become a lot more sensible.

mtpereira, booored and PsychoRocka like this

Well, for my own part I choose not to ignore anybody. I think that I just don't really view this forum as an "experience" like others do. If I dont agree with some users or see their posts as offensive, I just don't care or just ignore them (in the real sense). I think it's extremely exaggerated when some anonymous forum user dislikes so much another anonymous forum user that they can't even look at his/her posts. If you get so worked up about some posts that you can't stand, not even reading their posts because you can simply not read them, but just looking at the username, there could be something wrong with you. I guess I just prefer to take or leave the forum as it is, plus some good can come from it. At first I hated Glaurung and just saw him like this guy who complains in his weird Tommy Wiseau voice but now I've come to respect him a lot more, and his posts have become a lot more sensible.

Whilst I do agree with you and you make very good points it can be very hard to ignore when they constantly undermine, insult and ridicule your playing style. It gets old really quickly when two handed is referred to as cheating, retarded, wrong, far easier etc over and over. It makes you feel disrespected and just crummy in general.

My wins and gameplay experiences are just as valid as anyone elses (in fact many people play all sorts of house rules, I follow the rules to a tee minus the table talk rule considering I play two handed) and people constantly inferring/saying they are not is infuriating. I personally don't care what play style people use or if they have house rules etc and would never berate them for this I just personally prefer to not change anything bar table talk.

Honestly that's what drove me over the edge, insults and whatnot I don't care about and when I'm wrong I'm happy to admit it but people inferring I'm a cheater and noob just cause of my play style and people going berserk when they are proved wrong and who wont admit they are wrong and end up confusing new players who can't tell which rule is right cause the person who turned out to be wrong won't back down I can't stand for.

Also, I much the same as you disliked 7thEye for insulting two handed play and MyNeighbourTrololo for just being a troll/quite abrasive but now I respect them both and constantly see posts by both of them that are really insightful and a good read. Also Trololo makes goddamn AWESOME custom cards.

Edited by PsychoRocka