Sign in to follow this  
Joe Boss Red Seven

Waiting to get that Tantive?

I guess I have been collecting GW too much. $100 seems so cheap especially for something I don't have to put together and paint. 

Yeah. A 40k Stormraven is $80 unpainted and unassembled. $90 for the Tantive IV expansion is a downright bargain.

It may be cheaper but that doesn't make it a "bargain." Dollars to donuts that unpainted, unassembled Stormraven is likely to get more play in its respective game than the Tantive will. Unless you expect every game you play to be Epic going forward, you're basically spending $60-100 for a handful of crew cards, which you will most likely not use every time you play.

Edited by Boris_the_Dwarf

I guess I have been collecting GW too much. $100 seems so cheap especially for something I don't have to put together and paint.

Yeah. A 40k Stormraven is $80 unpainted and unassembled. $90 for the Tantive IV expansion is a downright bargain.

Plus paints @ $4-5 a pot, brushes @ $5 ea, glue closing in on $10, clippers/knife, green stuff, files, $100 rulebook, $50 army book, $130+ starter for just enough models to start to play... I've loved that game for 15 years but my god do they have a lot of my money! Even @ Canadian prices, X-Wing is a bloody great deal! (not to mention playing right out of the box).

Yet I still haven't sprung for the Tantive... All In good time I suppose

Edited by TheMandalorianCandidate

$100 seems so cheap...

Yeah. A 40k Stormraven is $80 unpainted...

Unless you expect every game you play to be Epic going forward, you're basically spending $60-100 for a handful of crew cards, which you will most likely not use every time you play.

This is the reason I'll be waiting.

But hey, don't forget the new carrying case you have to buy in order to fit that behemoth along with everything else.

Edited by Explosive Ewok

I am not waiting anymore. I had $60 in Barnes and Noble gift cards and a 30% off coupon so I was waiting for them to stock it. Which they did Monday. :D Unfortunately I had a Twilight Imperium game last night and tonight so it is sitting on my shelf in the box still. Can't wait to bust it open and set up an epic battle on the dining room table.

I've been holding off cause wave 4 is coming out.  But its like $60 on Amazon and I will pull the trigger soon.

Really excited for Epic play.  Once both sides have huge ships the games will be easier to manage and play.

I think the annoucement will come pretty soon for Huge Imp.

Pre-ordered the Transport. Played it. Loved it.

Pre-ordered the Corvettte. Got it but just haven't had time to play it yet. Will love it.
Pre-ordered all of Wave 4. Just waiting on it like everyone else.

The range of scenario and epic play builds it opens up is staggering. We often play 150-200pt casual matches at our FLGS, so going to a 300pt single or 200pt each team build is a natural for us.

I am not waiting anymore. I had $60 in Barnes and Noble gift cards and a 30% off coupon so I was waiting for them to stock it. Which they did Monday. :D Unfortunately I had a Twilight Imperium game last night and tonight so it is sitting on my shelf in the box still. Can't wait to bust it open and set up an epic battle on the dining room table.

Cool, we are having our first game this Saturday. How long does it take you guys to finish? How many players?

It may be cheaper but that doesn't make it a "bargain." Dollars to donuts that unpainted, unassembled Stormraven is likely to get more play in its respective game than the Tantive will. Unless you expect every game you play to be Epic going forward, you're basically spending $60-100 for a handful of crew cards, which you will most likely not use every time you play.

Well sure. If that's what you value then that's a perfectly fine assessment. However, if you value having a pre-assembled, pre-painted miniature that can also be played in epic games and comes with upgrades for 100pt play then I think it's a steal.

In my opinion, $90 is an absolutely fantastic price to buy it as a shelf piece alone.

Cool, we are having our first game this Saturday. How long does it take you guys to finish? How many players?

I find it to take 1 hour per player for experienced players. First game you are looking at 1 1/2 hours per player on average. For your first game I'd definitely recommend limiting the optional rules. Distant suns are really cool, but add a lot of time the first few games if that is a concern. The last couple games I've had included them and they were the longest games I've played yet. 6 hours for 4 players and one is still ongoing with 6 players, but its been 6 hours already. My previous games were 4 hours for 3 people, 5 hours for 5 people, and 5 1/2 hours for 6 people twice(at Origins. People play quicker at cons it seems).

Do you have any expansions you are using? I think the ideal first game is using standard strategy cards except with Imperial II and age of empires option(objectives are visible the entire game). Basically stick to the standard game for everything else. Once you get the hang of that adding in optional rules are much easier.

Edited by bill257

...which is why I subsidised my purchase of both the Tantive IV and Rebel Transport by selling off old, rarely used GW models on ebay.

18 unused, unpainted metal Daemonettes, bought for $1.50 each, sold for $200+.  5 unused, unpainted metal Seekers, bought for $40, sold for $150.  Then there was the old, rarely-used-because-the-rules-keep-changing-for-the-worse Space Marine army, bought for god knows how much 5-10 years ago, sold for $700...

Goodbye GW, hello FFG.  I've played more games of X-Wing in the last 24 hours than I have of Warhammer in the last 6 months.

I'm very glad that I have a friend that I know will play Epic games with me, because then I felt much better about buying this ship when what I really wanted was C3-PO.  Don't get me wrong, I'm sure I'll have fun flying some Epic games at home, but I went to two Imdaar events last week and in 8 games the only loss I had was against Chewy with C3-PO.  That combo was just mean and I want it.

Goodbye GW, hello FFG.  I've played more games of X-Wing in the last 24 hours than I have of Warhammer in the last 6 months.

:D  Fun too wud-n-it?

I'll go on record as saying that X-Wing's the most enjoyable miniatures game I've ever played, and I've played a fair few.  :)

To toss in my two cents on this topic:

First, I think that FFG hit a towering homerun with this model!  It is absolutely beautiful, breath taking almost to see in person, and it draws a lot of attention from everyone who sees it.  I set mine up at the gaming table each week just to get people to look at the X-Wing being played in the game store.  I smile just seeing mine. 

I equate this model like I would a Titan from 40K: it is big, it is beautiful, and I’ll probably only ever play it once or twice a year when we decide to break into an epic game.  For the rest of the time it will look pretty in my display case.  It is a luxury piece and little more.  Until Epic events become more wide spread and supported by FFG like standard play is currently, most of you are right in that the 4 cards you can use for standard play may not be worth the cost, online discount or not. 

This is where I think FFG may have fallen down just a bit on this release, but not much.  They hit another monster homerun with the previous huge model in that not only did you get all new X-Wing pilots in the box with the GR-75, but a special paint job X-Wing as well.  Standard players were able to swallow the cost of that ship a bit easier knowing that they were getting stuff to play with everyday as well.

If FFG had packaged this model (CR-90) with a new Y-Wing, let’s say, with new Y-Wing pilots, well the world would be clamoring to get their grubby fingers on this model.  Heck, I might have bought two if that were the case!

Point being, it is a gorgeous model and I really feel for the cost, FFG could have given us a bit more for standard play then just those 4 cards.  However, I happily gave them my money just to own it. 

EvilEd

Edited by EvilEd209

I half love, half hate my Tantive. On one hand it is an amazing support ship, and is fun to play. On the other hand, I can't hit dirt with it. It struggles hard to modify its attacks and provide support, and at 108 minimum points that's dangerous.

I much prefer the Transport at around 45 points. I can fit an extra 2-3 ships with the Transport.

But the model is gorgeous. The Tantive can be brutal. But I think it will do beat against rebels. And that is just wrong.

My wife was going to order it for my B-Day (end of the month).  We happened to see it in our FLGS while picking up another game (Caverna).  She said grab it, she was going to get it anyway.  We do like to support the store, but it was 25.00 more than ordering.  We did it anyway, but man... these online prices are making it a difficult pill to swallow.  

I am a bit of a competitionist...  I am going to want at least one of every model.  That is the why for picking it up.  Just played a game on Monday night where we just used the model in the middle of the field as an obstacle.  Made the game pretty interesting actually!  I think next time we may let it fire at each of us every other turn, just to make things interesting!  It is a pretty model, and I like having it on the shelf.  It helps to have a supportive wife who appreciates your hobby.  Hell, we even have a Turkish ESB poster framed in our living room.  Our 1 y/o grandson holds out his hand and breathes like Vader when he sees it!

Long story short...  Wife was going to get it for me anyway, so we grabbed it when we saw it!

My LGS brought in 2 Tantive cases and sold 2 cases. He sells for a good price (enough that internet buy + shipping saves me nothing) so that works real well for us. We don't do tournaments here so there is a lot more willing to play larger pt games. 100 pt matches can be left to the serious people.

I find it to take 1 hour per player for experienced players. First game you are looking at 1 1/2 hours per player on average. For your first game I'd definitely recommend limiting the optional rules. Distant suns are really cool, but add a lot of time the first few games if that is a concern. The last couple games I've had included them and they were the longest games I've played yet. 6 hours for 4 players and one is still ongoing with 6 players, but its been 6 hours already. My previous games were 4 hours for 3 people, 5 hours for 5 people, and 5 1/2 hours for 6 people twice(at Origins. People play quicker at cons it seems).

Do you have any expansions you are using? I think the ideal first game is using standard strategy cards except with Imperial II and age of empires option(objectives are visible the entire game). Basically stick to the standard game for everything else. Once you get the hang of that adding in optional rules are much easier.

Sounds about right, time wise.

Learning usually takes a bit longer.

No expansion just the core game

I forgot to mention that I already own the Kenner Blockade Runner...Lol.

Which is almost as cool and is closer to being in scale.

:blink:

Then run it on thr base for friendly games. :P. The model isn't needed for play. Just for tournament rules.

I think I am going to make it into something cool, that FFG will never make...maybe.

:lol: