Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MyNeighbourTrololo

The Antlered Crown

140 posts in this topic

Very very true, and this is part of the reason why I decided I liked Gandalf better than Treebeard earlier in this thread. But Gandalf can't fit into as many decks as Treebeard because many decks can't handle the threat. Also, if you are putting them into a deck that quests very well but is weak at combat, Treebeard being able to do 2 combat actions sometimes makes him a better fit for that deck.

Generally I would prefer Gandalf if you can deal with his threat cost, but Treebeard can certainly be a very good addition to many decks that would implode with Gandalf's presence.

Agreed. He is certainly a good alternative. After all, he's a well designed card.

Glaurung likes this

Treebeard give a new breath for some decks. Like a hobbits decks for example. He will make many decks much more stronger. Some fun decks will become more stable with him and can play against some difficult quest. He bring some new opportunities for deck building. Very cool

chuckles, danpoage and PsychoRocka like this

I think if you're going to make a deck that wants to make Treebeard a main feature, then you should build around reducing his weakness. for example, building a mono-leadership deck with Strength of Arms. Basically need to find ways to get him into play that allows him to do something on the first round or get him into play in a way that doesn't require such a high cost (elf-stone, vilya, etc.).

danpoage likes this

I was bored and started looking at the old articles.  The Spirit event caught my eye again as it's a perfect fit in my Grlory/Idraen secrecy deck.  One of the problems of secrecy is handling "the first enemy".  Many of the encounter sets we get now require us to start the game with a chosen enemy in the staging area. This card gives another way to get rid of that enemy without having to engage it.  (Or at least soften it up so that we can take it out with one hit.)  Really looking forward to sleeving up this card.

Tactics, we hardly knew ye.

Dont be so dramatic... it's still a 2 cost even that you will use 2-4 times per quest at best, it doesn't guarantee a kill, it requires timing and the revealed enemy's threat can diminish its results. Big deal when we have blood of numenor/gondorian fire Boromir or 7 attack Eomer. It's ok in mono spirit and quest heavy decks, so questing decks will be picked up more by players. I like it.

Same goes for the older posts about treebeard... He is such a late and massive investment during the critical early stages of the game that the pay off HAS to be good. He seems balanced to me.

After he was spoiled I made a proxy of Treebeard and have been running him in one of my two decks. So far he has actually surprised me by being a bit less powerful than I thought he would be.

I find that ................

I have not made any playtesting and your post is very interesting. But there is a comment I would like to make. Treebeard is a equivalent to Radagast, more powerfull and a bit cheaper. His role is to help build an ent deck. I believe that ent allies will start to appear (especially in treason of Saruman Saga Box) thus he will be of much more use, or else his ability would make no sense apart from reading himself (useless IMO)

Hm... looking at spoiled encounter cards back now, I wonder one thing. There is a Raven Chief, meaning dunlendlings again. Some sort of clan-war or something. So, what I wonder is this: will Boar Clan be still friendly to our clan, and if will - will this final pack provide some dunledling allies (at least objective)?

I definately hope so. I think we'll get a chief enemy for each warring clan, but maybe we get some objective allies we get to bribe like in CatC, or convince them like in Druadan Forest. I'm really curious to see how this quest will play.

they could just as easily turn on us and be our enemies once again.  a lot of ways they could go about it, i did rather like

the unconventional alliance with them although.  enemies are always better when they're multidimensional, interesting

chuckles and danpoage like this

Have a question for Dunland Captain, which comes from the formed Raven deck. He has Force, to reveal a number of cards and put in play the first Dunland enemy. This cards have do be from the encounter deck, or the raven? I guess encounter, just want to be sure

Been a while since I played this one (found it to be one of the weaker and more finicky/less interesting quests from the cycle) but if it doesn't specify I would say encounter deck for sure.