Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MyNeighbourTrololo

The Antlered Crown

140 posts in this topic

Oh, Hobbitd and Ents are going to make a nice combo. So many synergies!

Other than that I think that Treebard is going to be a very complicated card in solo play. The player basically has to make it through the first two turns with basically no support. It requires a well designed deck to handle this problem.

Hands off from Steven "Elrond" Seagal!!! 

Well at least ally Elrond is just from the universe where they terribly miscast Stephen Seagal as Elrond.

Treebeard has no excuse for looking that wimpy.

Other than that I think that Treebard is going to be a very complicated card in solo play. The player basically has to make it through the first two turns with basically no support. It requires a well designed deck to handle this problem.

Doesn't this go for any card that costs more resources than you have? There are much more expensive cards that aren't neutral. Gildor for example.

You could play a bit around with resource cards to get him in earlier.

ffg_legacy-of-numenor-voi.jpg      or     ffg_wealth-of-gondor-hon.jpg

comes to mind

Edited by Nerdmeister

Well, this seems a bit stretched. Resource acceleration? Tricks like Timely Aid, Elf-stone, Vilya? Playing Treebeard later than round 2?

On a related note, Gondor Leadership deck seems to be well-suited for Ents. Surely in coop (as a support deck), but perhaps even in solo applying A Good Harvest (together with Treebeard) to pay for Ents. Strength of Arms or Ever Vigilant could be useful utilities to get the Ents ready, with Tome of Atanatar to repeat the trick. And of course, as suggested above, Wealth of Gondor to get Treebeard out on round 1, so he can fight for you and make money from round 2.

Edited by Ana

Treebeard is amazing... 

Think about combo of Ents (with the Treebeard ability of paying to ready Ents) and 

M1551.png

It's not very thematic attach a cloak to an Ent, but it may be useful to play an Ent and ready it in the same round...

Edited by sparrowpisuke

Steward of Gondor should be restricted.

Steward of Gondor should be restricted.

If you talking about normal yes probably but in Nmode I'm not sure…..i think if some players come to conclusion SOme cards should be banned or restricted he must to start play Nmode.

ZanzibarLand likes this

As for the Treeberad art: I do like it. When I read Lord of the Rings it always strikes me how different Ents are from other folk. Their language, their ideas and values, the way they convey thoughts, it is all very unique. From a human perspective Ents are somewhat weird. There is this certain disconnection between Ents and other peoples, as if a barrier that sometimes does not allow for perfect communication and blurs the mutual understanding. And, with all that, to me Treebeard should look weird. He should be twisted, out of this world, treeish. Not just a man dressed for a tree.

The only thing I perhaps dislike about the art are the eyes. "But at the moment the hobbits noted little but the eyes. These deep eyes were now surveying them, slow and solemn, but very penetrating. They were brown, shot with a green light. Often afterwards, Pippin tried to describe his first impression of them". This is completely lost in Mike Nash's vision. But regardless, it is a very nice painting.

And generally, it is good to have diversity in art. Each of the three Ents spoiled so far is quite distinctive. With the Treebeard a bit "weird" or "twisted", the Wandering Ent being a rather standard Ent portrayal, to the Booming Ent which looks almost as from Warhammer (nothing wrong with that).

It is just fun to see different creations. I like it much better than, say, the Woses in Druadan Forest. Do not get me wrong, they were portrayed very well. But they were mostly painted by the same artist. While it adds to the cohesiveness of the set, it would perhaps be nicer to see how also other artists imagine Woses. For instance, you could compare how the Hilderbrand brothers depicted them (http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/36800000/Ghan-buri-ghan-with-Rohirrim-by-brothers-Hildebrandt-kacik-rohanskiej-adoracji-36841424-1300-986.jpg). Totally different image. I love when LotR LCG takes me on a trip through re-imaginations of Tolkien's universe. It is a bit a shame to waste an opportunity to showcase various art. Still, I cannot complain. Hell, I even fancy the weird angle on the Seagal Elrond. Perhaps I am too easily pleased.

Treebeard's ability is truly thematic: he musters Ents and he hits HARD. He's slooooooow though just like an ancient massive creature should be.

Steward of Gondor cannot be attached to Treebeard as suggested booored.

Anyway, he will be in a lot of different decks ;)

A bit frustrated that he is Neutral for Stand & Fight or Caldara mechanics.

ZanzibarLand likes this

Treebeard's ability is truly thematic: he musters Ents and he hits HARD. He's slooooooow though just like an ancient massive creature should be.

yeah, he is very well designed to fit the theme.

The question is - isn't he overpowered? He seems so good, his stats are extraordinarily good, neutral sphere + not very expensive, and two cool abilities. Perhaps the "comes into play tapped" balances him against the relatively low cost, but I am not sure. And maybe consistent introduction of time mechanisms in quests would make him not worth it due to his slow start. But as of now I imagine I would play him in probably all of my decks. 

And even if he is a bit OP... would we actually mind? It is a rare occasion that we can have such a consistent hard hitter on our side. It might be cool to actually have a potentially devastating ally, replacing lampwrights and minstrels :) 

Well, this seems a bit stretched. Resource acceleration? Tricks like Timely Aid, Elf-stone, Vilya? Playing Treebeard later than round 2?

On a related note, Gondor Leadership deck seems to be well-suited for Ents. Surely in coop (as a support deck), but perhaps even in solo applying A Good Harvest (together with Treebeard) to pay for Ents. Strength of Arms or Ever Vigilant could be useful utilities to get the Ents ready, with Tome of Atanatar to repeat the trick. And of course, as suggested above, Wealth of Gondor to get Treebeard out on round 1, so he can fight for you and make money from round 2.

Which is what I meant with "well designed decks": ;) I don't say it's impossible to make use of Treebard, but it's more complicated than most folks here expect. Timely Aid and Vilya also require some additional help to make sure that you get what you want.

Treebard suffers from the same problem that all high cost allies have - either you play them early and you have to make it through the first couple of turns without any other support, or you play them later when most of the times you don't need them anymore. Treebard is a bit worse because you have to wait an extra turn. ALmost all of my recent decks include low cost allies or tons of attachments to boost my heroes.

But of course, when you play an Ent deck you want to play him ASAP to make use of his resources generation (there's a reason why most people here compare him to Radagast, and not Gandalf). And IMO a Hobbbit deck is wells suited for that task, as it offers a low starting threat and enough WP (and cheap attachments) to survive until Treebard enters the stage. That's where the synergy is between Hobbits and Ents, to answer Trololo's question.

Man, Treebeard made me do a double take. I thought I was looking at another spoiled hero, not a massively powerful ally. I couldn't be more excited for that pack. I'm less excited than most for Galadriel, but the ents finally showing up and being so well done (great stats, but enter exhausted) is super cool. Can't wait! :)

Catastrophic09 and DurinIII like this

Man it just dawned on me how truly powerful tree beard can be..

For an relatively low-ish cost of 4 neutral you get a 2 willpower 4 attack! 3 defense! 5 hit points! ally that although comes into play exhausted can unexhast itself every second turn (after the turn you play him) and contribute his awesome stats towards two actions!

Double defense duty..

Double attack of 4!

Questing and then defending/attacking once

Escape test type situations etc

Powerful... Going to be an auto include methinks