Sign in to follow this  
Gosric

Imperial huge ship

No, not another "which will the next big ship be" thread. I decided to try my hand at making something that could be an Imp counter to the Corvette. And as usuali wanted t get opinions on the design while it is still changeable. The  limitations of the 3d process mean that in order to make it as affordable as possible it cannot be as wide a ship as i would like but i will leave such things to the most excellently skilled scratchbuilders.

This is still obviously a work in progress. keep in mind the hull is completely undetailed at this time.
I may replace the forward sensor array with a tractor beam or ion cannon, i would like opinions on that. Also while i like the central turrets being quads but i might make the port and starboard turrets twins. an any advice regarding that descision would be good as well it would be cheaper model wise and when one is building something this big anytime one can cut material cost is good.
As i said I would have liked to have made it wider but that just doesnt work. the wedge shape just gets expensive very quickly, Though i find myself liking the sleeker look as i go on. with the big thrusters it should be a fast ship. I want to make sure i keep it under the bsse cost of the Tantive not because i want to be cheaper than FFG i just dont want it to be beyond reach of anyone who might decide they want one. so far it is about 11.5 inches long so slightly shorter than the Corvette but not by a lot

http://lorelei-shipyards.tumblr.com/post/87644390731/asp-imperial-lt-patrol-frigate-work-in-progress

I rather like the forked front and slim line look of the ship.  Has a predatory vibe to it.

The forward sensor array made me think 'Trek' so I'd lean towards the Tractor Beam/Ion Cannon.  The Cannon would potentially make more sense, as I would picture this hunting in pairs - using the Ions to disable and beat down a foe.  Then launch an assault shuttle or something (the CR-90 has a small starfighter bay - I could picture this having a bay large enough for a TIE Shuttle).

The twins for the port/starboard would likely make it look a bit sleeker.  My inital thought was that the ship could even do without those turrets.  Is that an escape pod or airlock/dock on the sides near the turrets?

Ill have to look up the star citizen ships. The circual sections behind the torpedoes are twin airlocks. it i hard ti find reference to imperial escape pod appearance . im going to have them behind blow away panels. the concensus seems to be twin port and starboard guns so im going with that im just wondering now if whether the forward sensors are to much with the bg rear dish so i think a forward weapon is the way to go

My guestimate is that the Stormtrooper Transport (well known in the TIE Fighter computer game) will be the counter to the rebel corvette. It's not a huge ship but large ship in X-wing Miniature terms.

In the TIE Fighter game you often saw these ships go in and board larger vessels by first taking down their shields, then ionizing them (as a player you could help) and finally begin its hostile takeover. "Boarding operations begun" the radio would say :)

I could see all sorts of fun with this ship where players suddenly would have to prioritize these boarders who can go in and capture your prized huge ships. A boarding shouldn't be easy to pull off but it could put some real dilemma into your play-style.

Somebody on Shapeways already makes the Stormtrooper transport so i dont want to cut into their business. Other wise it would be easy enough to make one. But, and i certainly could be wrong, iwould have thought that would be better put up against a squadron of fighters and the falcon.

As for the Lancer there are a couple of problems. One it is about 100 metres longer than the Corvette so not only would it be impossible to make it as an affordable model, but it is bigger than the shapeways machines allow (i could be wrong but i think it is 12 inches max, the one im building now is pushinyg the limit) it could be done in two parts easily enough but it would still be expensive. And problem two is that obscenity laws might prohibit shipping those things *L*

I think it's at the size where the flying bridge could be more of a flat wing, like the Vigil-class.  I kinda think it also has too many turrets, which hurt the visual lines (you'll still have six and presumably torpedo launchers in the prow; do you need 8 turrets?). Eliminating those by the docking collar and accentuating the collars a bit would go a long way. Maybe carry the prow split further up the central ridge line. 

Overall, I like where it's going. 

(and I agree; no one wants to see the Space Dong, ever) 

Edited by BenderIsGreat

That would be more feasible but would still have to be made in two sections due to shapeways build surfaces. Ill experiment a bit more with turret layout etc and see what comes out

Ill have to look up the star citizen ships.

I'm specifically interested in the Caterpillar and Cutlass. There's a fair amount of concept art and screenshots for both floating around on google, so I hope it's not terribly difficult to divine the specifications and scale accordingly. I imagine the Cutlass would fit somewhere between a small base and a large one, and the Caterpillar would almost certainly be a huge ship, not too far removed from the rebel transport size wise. PM me if you think such a project is feasible, and we can come to some kind of arrangement.

Edited by WonderWAAAGH

The 3D model looks Awesome.

Although Quad-type Turrets for everything? seems rather large investment of firepower for what would be considered a small scale warship. But that could simply be the weapon size to ship size ratio.

Maybe make the Port and Starboard Turrets Dual weapon emplacements. Or Make the Dorsal and Ventral Turrets Dual emplacements but scale them up and keep the Quads on the sides.

Regardless Duals or Quads the ship looks like it'll hand out beatings and always go down guns blazing.

----

As for card upgrades options:

Fore: Crew x1 Hardpoint x1 Team x1 Cannon x1 Cargo x1 

Primary Firing Arc: 270 Degrees

Aft: Crew x1 Hardpoint x2 Team x1 Cargo x1

Primary Firing Arc: 90 Degrees Port and Starboard.

Primary Turret [fore]: Attack 4 Range 3-5 

Special Rules: Spend 1 energy to increase or decrease the range of a weapon by 1. To a Range maximum of 5 or minimum of 1.

----

As for possible new Torpedo or Missile Turret hardpoints.

Attack [Energy]  Spend 3, Requires Target Lock on Target. Range 2-5, Card stores 6 energy.

Effects would either be the same a Standard Proton Torpedo or Standard Concussion Missile.

----

Anyways some ideas for you to stew on as you continue your ship designing. Can't wait to see pictures once you've got it printed and painted!

If the mass of this ship is two expensive, try the Imperial Light Corvette. It's only thirty metres longer than the CR90.

Imperial_customs_Corvette_SotG.jpg

someone here has a custom built one they showed in a thread... unfortunately it is buried now..

http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/91376-imperial-customs-corvette-scratchbuild/

here is the long lost incredible scratchbuilt Customs Corvette

Gosric,

as usual, I am really liking your design.  It if FAR better than any equivalent I have see, whether semi-official canon (like from a video game or role-playing game) or not.  It is much better than the "Imperial space dildo" (aka Lancer) and the Imperial light corvette.  To me, the designs capture the "look" of Star Wars and make more sense than many of the other designs out there.

Some observations/suggestions:

1. Front sensor dish- as someone pointed out, it looks a bit Trek-ish-  replace with some other form of antennae or convert to a weapon mount.

2. Torpedo Launchers- look a bit too big for standard XWM Missiles or Torpedoes... but completely appropriate for some sort of "capital ship missile" (ie. something big and nasty with lots of range and punch vs other "Huge" ships but virtually useless against fighters) or make into smaller "secondary missile batteries", using standard rules and useful vs small ships.

3.  Side-mounted weapons- make them top/bottom dual turrets (so combined they make quads)- I just think it will look better.

Just my opinions.

Chris

Thank you i appreciate that.

The version shown in the last link has the forward sensor removed i agree completely with that assessment. and the port and starboard guns are as you described. i probably should find a way to show clearer renders*L*

Im just in a world war 2 ship kind of mood right now i think and was thinking the torpedo systems would be the main anti ship armament while the duals would be anti fighter but able to link up for added punch against heavier opponents.the newest version has the bottom turret removed and the hull thickened to allow a small docking bay for one or two small craft (maybe, i need to somehow figure out how large a TIE would be in the huge ship scale before i decided what sort of craft if any would fit)

I think it looks great. I'm stoked to see how you "improve" it further!

For the mid and aft mounted quad weapons (torpedo tubes? Hvy turbolasers?) I'd make sure any card for them gives them an appropriate fire arc so broadsides are deadly against other huge ships. Maybe a 270deg arc? And the quad/dual dual lasers are awesome for taking out those pesky snubfighters.

And what are the two weapons in the side notched sections? They kind of appear to be forward firing but fore of them seems to get in the way? Are they also intended to be side arc weapons?

E

Edited by ejacobs