Sign in to follow this  
Ansalagon

How long does it take to enter the warp?

There's any number of people who will start reeling off science and maths and claim that you can't warp inside a system's gravity field, but meh - this is 40k where science simply isn't applicable.
There is no hard and fast answer to your question i'm afraid. Indeed some sources would claim that you can't jump in the middle of combat as your shields and gellar field are mutually exclusive...

I would say if I was GMing, you'll have to drop void shields and activate geller field (1 turn) then jump. If in gravity well, use rules on stellar phenomena (I think that's the right name) from the core rule books to add various manoevering penalties. Fluff says you can't jump near planets, but you can because they prefer if you didn't jump near planets, as small bits if warp are released. Therefore if hundreds if ships did it near a habitated planet, bad stuff happens.

This is how Translations work in my games:

Can't do it inside a gravity well (gravity pulls may distort the rift opened by the warp engine and rip the ship in half during translation) but I like to think this would be possible in specific places like "lagrange" points with a -30 Stellar Nav test, followed by a  -10 Tech Use and -20 pilot test... And a good chance to be crushed on the other side due to the near stellar bodies' warp representations (requiring a -30 Warp Nav test in my games with each degree of failure meaning 1d10 of damage that ignores VS and Armor).

Outside a Gravity Well, if you don't care how screwed you will be (and don't perform all the rites and consecrations needed), it's only a matter of minutes for a ship to translate (Navis Primer has rules from Emergency Translation - I think it's exactly what you want).

The "blink" - entering warp and leaving right away - tactic (also from Navis Primer) is an exception to it all and I quite don't know yet how to deal with it within grav wells.

My understanding is that whil translation itself takes seconds on the short end to a few minutes on the long end doing the process safely requires a minimum of one starship turn under the best possible conditions just for the navigator to actually look into the adjacent warp and find a good point in it to arrive at which coincides with a good place to depart from the material universe if that makes any sense.

I would say that it would take several minutes (under the best of circumstances) for a ship to open a portal and start passing through it, and depending on the size of the ship and it's current velocity, it might take quite some time passing through the gate and closing it behind you.

Mind you, this is without doing all the necessary calculations to actually travel somewhere. Doing that, I'd say it can take several hours for the Navigator to mark your current location, find reference points, study the state of the empyrean and map a possible route.

There's any number of people who will start reeling off science and maths and claim that you can't warp inside a system's gravity field, but meh - this is 40k where science simply isn't applicable.

There is no hard and fast answer to your question i'm afraid. Indeed some sources would claim that you can't jump in the middle of combat as your shields and gellar field are mutually exclusive...

40k science is definitely applicable to it's own universe. And the reason you can't warp inside a system's gravity field is because it's a staple of the setting. In the end, it's all technobabble, because obviously we do not have the warp in real life.

Second, indeed, gellar fields and void shields are mutually exclusive, meaning that entering the warp during combat would be highly inadvisable.

I offer up the Mezoa Geller Field Integrant (ITS 70), which admittedly only fits on Transports and Raiders. And you take a -5 roll on Warp Encounters but I think if you in a position of making a jump in system you don't  care either way. But it would cut out the turn you'd have to take for turning off your shields and turning on the Gellar Field as they are one and the same with this component.

I don't know all the rules or much of the science of 40k, but I'd imagine there is a pretty good reason for people wandering to the edge first then translating into the Warp. In Star Trek, something I'm far more versed in, you don't go to warp speed inside of a system because of how ludicrously dangerous it is. I imagine something similar applies in 40k.

You did not just say "science of 40k."

Well, you didn't mean it.  I know you didn't mean it.

I know, I find it ridiculous too. I'm surprised the machine spirits on his personal cogitator allowed such blasphemous words to be spoken through their whisper chain of sacred spirits.

All praise to the Omnissiah!

You did not just say "science of 40k."

Well, you didn't mean it.  I know you didn't mean it.

I know, I find it ridiculous too. I'm surprised the machine spirits on his personal cogitator allowed such blasphemous words to be spoken through their whisper chain of sacred spirits.

All praise to the Omnissiah!

My 40k noobness is showing through! :D   EDIT: I will figure out this quoting thing some day.

Edited by Lady Kataline Jianwei

Well we'd had a discussion on this in the forums a few times. We decided that you can't enter the Warp inside of a star system - literally unable to do so - because otherwise all Chaos would need to do to destroy Imperial planets is get close enough, open a Warp portal right next to a planet and laugh all the way to the Infamy bank.

40k science is definitely applicable to it's own universe. And the reason you can't warp inside a system's gravity field is because it's a staple of the setting. In the end, it's all technobabble, because obviously we do not have the warp in real life.

Second, indeed, gellar fields and void shields are mutually exclusive, meaning that entering the warp during combat would be highly inadvisable.

Indeed 40k science is applicable, but as it written by virtually hundreds of different authors over the last 30 odd years it's kind of hard to get a unified canon for it all. Its not like Star Wars with its rigidly defined canon...

I was referring to people who bring real world, modern day science into this fiction setting we all love so much ;)

Somewhere in the rules is an emergency warp transit.  I don't even remember where it is.  My players have never attempted it, so I've never had to refer to it.

As I understand though, it takes a good hour to leave the warp, hence the usefulness of a witch augur.