Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PartTimeGamer93

Release Date...?

30 posts in this topic

Up until today, the release date for AoR and its GM set was projected to be, well, today, according to Barnes and Noble. Lest you get excited, when I got to my store at opening today, and made a beeline for my friend at the customer service counter, he waved me down and said that not only was there now no release date, but the book and the set had both been removed from the registry completely.

Sad face.

Anybody got any idea when this thing is gonna hit stores?

It's still listed on the update page as 'on the boat' and due by Q2.  That means between now and June 30 according to the information FFG has put out.

If you want the most "accurate" release date information on Fantasy Flight Games products, you'll want to click on the "upcoming" page. Barnes & Noble is infamous for posting incorrect or "expected" release dates on their websites, then pulling the products when they don't arrive. In fact, the same thing happened with the Age of Rebellion Beginner Game.

Edit: Here's the topic about the Beginner Game.

As has already been stated, (and based on the "Q2" release date currently provided by FFG) the book will most likely be released on the last Friday in June, if FFG's previous release pattern is anything to go by.

Edited by Yoshiyahu
PartTimeGamer93 likes this

Anybody got any idea when this thing is gonna hit stores?

It usually takes about 6 weeks for the "on the boat" to elapse, and I think we're getting close to that milestone. It's about 10 days (depending on where you are in the country) for the books to ship to the store - so we're looking at no sooner than the 6th or the 13th at least. That's best case scenario. Worse? The end of the month like everyone else is saying.

Busy time for them, so have to throw FFG a break.  They are pushing forward with EoE supps.  Getting AoR and some supps for that out the door, and launching F&D beta at Gencon, all at the end of Q2 and during Q3, so their print/ship/distribute schedule is pretty chaotic at the moment I would think.

I'm just so anxious to get my hands on that rulebook. At this juncture, it doesn't make financial sense for me to pay for a copy of the beta; I could hypothetically just keep playing scenarios with the beginner box rules and characters. On the other hand, I don't want my players to get used to rules released before editing on the rulebook was finished; relearning rules is frustrating, and as this is my first time GMing, and roleplaying in general to be honest, I really want my friends to have a streamlined entrance into the game, as they're all new too.

TL;DR

COOOOOOORRRRRRE RUUUUUUUUULEBOOOOOOOK!!! BRAAAAAAAAAAAINNSSSSSSSS!!!

Well most of the rules that are in this core are in EotE so no big changes are really expected in this version as far as I have heard.  If you have that then you have most of the rules you need as of right now.  The beginner box should have all the fixes from the EotE in it so that little rule book should do you at least another month.  The only thing I think any of us are really expecting is the galaxy gazeteer section should highlight planets used by either the Empire or Rebellion as staging/training areas, as well as the planets from the movies such as Yavin IV, Hoth, and Endor.  At least that is what I am expecting but that just mho.

FFG tends towards delivering quality with all their products. I imagine that the AoR book will contain a robust amount of new planets, commentary on new species, and new equipment.

I am hoping the new equipment is in the type of "Craken's Rebel Field Guide" featuring all the nice tricks the Rebels have come up with in their battle against the Empire.

FFG's email of today (to stores) says that the game and the screen will 'ship' in late June. That might give us an on sale date in late June at some locations, but early July sounds likely,

kaosoe and GMmL like this

This has been one looooong boat ride.

Pirates, maybe?  :P

It's the slow boat to China..............it's actually slow both directions................

kaosoe likes this

I just checked Amazon and the AoR core rulebook has a release date of July 6.  Yay!

I wouldn't bet on it. The sixth of July is a Sunday, and FFG's books are normally released on Fridays. Considering Amazon's pretty abysmal track record when it comes to accurate release dates for FFG Star Wars products, it's a pretty safe bet to assume that the sixth is merely a placeholder. All that to say, just don't get your hopes up.

awayputurwpn likes this

Yeah, I suspect that Amazon sets its release dates by having some guy in the shipping office pull a pillowcase over his head and throw a dart at a calendar.

kaosoe likes this

I just checked Amazon and the AoR core rulebook has a release date of July 6.  Yay!

I wouldn't bet on it. The sixth of July is a Sunday, and FFG's books are normally released on Fridays. Considering Amazon's pretty abysmal track record when it comes to accurate release dates for FFG Star Wars products, it's a pretty safe bet to assume that the sixth is merely a placeholder. All that to say, just don't get your hopes up.

That makes me sad now.  :-(

Yeah, and if you're buying through Amazon I'd expect to wait longer than you'd have to were you to purchase it from your FLGS. Seems like a smart move by FFG (if indeed it is intentional), supporting the local gaming industry. 

kaosoe likes this