Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Icareane

Ica repaints

67 posts in this topic

Huh, that was not how I thought you did it. Can't argue with your excellent result however. Getting the texture right by copying it from another model is quite ingenious. Some time in the future I'll probably build a Royal squint as well and I will use your texture copying technique when I do it.

it's the easiest way to do it really, when I was trying to work those out a couple months ago I tried the same thing. My molding skills need some work it would seem though, so I am trying to improve those.. lol

Icareane: I already have instant mold, it just never occured to me to use it like that. My brain just never made the connection.

BTW nice Falcon. It's nice to sometimes see a YT-1300 without it being converted to kingdom come.

Edited by MacrossVF1

@JaggedLittleFel : no. I thought about it but it would have been too hard (for me anyway) to replace the cockpit windows with clear plastic. I've seen a few larger scale Falcons on the web with lit cockpits but they probably started with clear plastic cockpits panels.

The orange is painted on using first dwarf flesh (citadel) then fluo orange ( from prince august ).

Certainly not badly painted but it shows that it is a 3D printed model. Was that the best quality and or material?

Edited by MacrossVF1

@MacrossVF1: yes it was the best quality, Frosted Ultra Detail.

Straight panels look pretty good, but curves are not well manufactured yet as you can see.

If you have the model in hand, it's not that obvious actually as it's only 20mm long (4/5th of an inch for my US friends), the pictures you see are zoomed at least twice. I was a bit surprised when I compared the pictures to the model as I did not expect so many flaws from a mark 0 eyeball inspection.

The problem is also increased a bit by my sponge technique for weathering, I'm trying a new technique for Anakin craft, we'll see how it goes.

I have painted one 3D printed model myself (an alternative Necromunda model a friend gave me with the instructions to 'go nuts') and seen a few others (mainly alternative Flames of War tanks) and it is clear to me that 3D printers are not quite good enough yet. In 5 to 10 years time they will most likely reach the level they need to be at to compete with more conventional methods but for now I mostly avoid 3D printed models.

A lot of the issues with 3d models can be minimized by taking them into account when designing the model. They usually cant be helped it the model is one downloaded from the net. But when built from scratch with an eye for the process the stepping and layering can be all but eliminated.

Thanks!

I wrote a small article with pictures of the ETA-2 in their raw state and various states of preparation:
http://rule37-ica.blogspot.com/2014/09/3d-printing-future-of-miniature-gaming.html

jedi-interceptor-eta-2-undercoat-underne

@Gosric : from what I've seen of the models, it does depend on the shape of the structure but for curved areas I don't see how you could get better results. Do you have a couple of exemples?

Hi, thank you so much for this tutorial.

I like the way you do the bases. Sometimes these colourfull bases with colourfull shipps could be too much. Especially for me who wants colourfull imperials and not only grey stuff. I enjoy your blog.

Mercy beaucop!

Dark Curse