Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Icareane

Ica repaints

67 posts in this topic

wow, that looks great.  I have to admit, many of the repaints I see are often a downgrade of the out-of-box, but yours is just perfect.  

The ship truly is stunning. Looks like a professionally done much larger scale model.

But who gunked up his engines with Pepto Bismol? ;)

Edited by Baphomet69
Ghost Dancer and LS650 like this

I wouldnt have dared do sponge chipping on a model this small but you show that it is indeed possible. Good job! I myself is in the process of painting Luke's red five, maybe we can compare when I'm finished? :)

Small tutorial on base improvements on my blog : http://rule37-ica.blogspot.fr/2014/06/x-wing-pimp-my-base.html

@bladeofdorin: you need a sharp brush. I really like Raphael 8404 series, which hold a very good point even with a large body which prevent the paint from drying on the tip. I use a number 2 or a number 1 even on such small details to keep the point wet.

WARNING : Gimpfu ahead!

I used white in the following pictures to help with the tutorial, but you should of course use your base metallic color. 

Paint R2 dome in a metallic color.

1) Next paint a blue circle at the center of r2 head
2) paint 3 lines across.
r2tutorial.jpg

3) Still using your base metallic color, paint a smaller circle inside your blue circle.

r2tutorial-2.jpg

4) Paint an even smaller blue circle (a dot at this point) inside.

r2tutorial-3.jpg

5) Paint the side blue lines and the front blue panel

r2tutorial-4.jpg

6) Finish with the red lense

r2tutorial-5.jpg

Behold the power of my Gimpfu!

If you have trouble painting shapes, do not hesitate to paint a slightly bigger blob, then come back with your base color to correct the shape. It is much easier to correct a mistake with your base color as you only have one side of the shape to worry about!

meekor and Marinealver like this

Nicely done with all of these, I like the TIE fighters, I did a red cheveron on a couple over the top part of the wing, may do more... soon.. I liked the look..

Keep posting repaints.. we love em

I wonder if you have noticed it yourself, but the white stripes together with the lines on the solar panels create an optical illusion, that makes you believe that the stripes are not quite straight. Also, like Executor says, the bases are very nice.

Thanks for your kind comments.

@MacrossVF1 : yes I also noticed it when I first peeled the masking tape.

As long as the design is symetric I feel it still looks OK.

From what I can see, it looks like maybe a small bearing on the post, so possibly a donut magnet installed on the model.. maybe counter sunk..