Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PsychoRocka

Your Favorite 5 Quests and Why

32 posts in this topic

There are so many now that i can't really tell :huh:  Any way those are probably my top 5 currently. In no particular order.

Into the pit: Maybe the first quest that used locations in a really different way, the torch mechanic is also a nice touch and really thematic too

The Battle of Lake-Town: A great boss fight, the Smaug deck makes him feel alive and kicking. The burn mechanic also a great thematic touch

The Fords of Isen: A great heavy combat quest.

A Knife in the Dark: What can i say for this one ?!?!?!

Encounter at Amon Din: The best truly innovative mechanic so far (in my opinion)

PsychoRocka likes this

5. The Hunt for Gollum

I really like exploration quests. This one is really good, I feel, for providing a really nice and thematic quest searching for clues, particularly when the game was in its infancy and whatnot. I've not yet had a chance to play NM mode, but it looks like it's the best implementation of NM mode so far!

4. The Dead Marshes

I've played the Mirkwood quests so often it's unreal, but they each have something that draws me back to them all the time. I really enjoy the Escape mechanic, and generally just really like this quest!

3. The Steward's Fear

Perhaps the best-designed quest to date, it feels so much like a proper RPG-style game that I was completely enraptured when I first tried it out. The replayability of this one is particularly amazing.

2. Foundations of Stone

I only ever play this game solo, one-handed, so the splitting-off is something that I can't appreciate (though I do, theoretically). However, the Nameless Thing mechanics are truly splendid, and I really enjoy replaying this one. I also like the fact there is equipment to be found in amongst the foundations!

1. The Hills of Emyn Muil

Normal mode, no faffing around with NM, this quest is, for me, the most perfect LotR experience you can ever get. So much of the book is an epic quest across country, which is precisely what this quest is all about. More than that, though, the whole point of this quest is to explore Middle Earth - I mean, how awesome is that?! It's unjustly put-down, I feel, by people who would much rather kill stuff, and that's fine; but for me, this quest is just the best. 

Honourable mentions would definitely go to:

Blood of Gondor - despite the whole Hidden Cards thing, I really liked this one. 

The Morgul Vale - love the lieutants thing, like stage bosses in an old-school video game! 

Flies and Spiders - I just love that Poisoned mechanic!!

Passage through Mirkwood - it's the first quest everyone ever plays, it's what got us all into this game, so it should be on everyone's lists, goddammit! 

Edited by spalanzani

In no particular order:

1. Massing at Osgiliath (Super fun to test decks against. I like the POD for the ease of pulling out and playing.)

2. Journey Down the Anduin (its a bit easy nowadays, but it is fun to test decks against and nightmare mode makes it fun)

3. Stone of Erech (Different and fun)

4. Over Misty Mountains Grim (I think. Second in the first hobbit box. I love the transition from the giants to the swarms of orcs, but the merry/brand combo can seriously nerf this quest.)

5. Foundations of Stone (Multi player at least. It is unique and requires some pretty dedicated deck planning)

iznax likes this

ok I can try this but I may get it all wrong ;/

1:  has to be JDtA.  There is no quest to this day that is more enjoyable.  It never gets old, even if it is not too difficult any more

2: massing at osgiliath.  This one is a go to beat up orc quest.  I love the combat!

3: battle of five armies.  I have no words for the epicness of this quest

4: Over misty mountais grim.  Nother go to quest for combat.  it is just long enough and I love being swarmed by goblins

5: seventh level.  this quest is actually surprisingly challenging multiplayer just cause you generally get at least 2 extra enemies through shadows! 

No particular order:

1) Steward's Fear

2) Watcher in the Water

3) Peril in Pelargir

4) Foundations of Stone

5) Encounter at Amon Din

I also love, as a whole, the Khazad Dum nightmare set of scenarios. Honorable mention to Fog on the Barrow Downs; so much fun to play as a group. 

Edited by divinityofnumber