Sign in to follow this  
Crabbok

Worst Possible Sportsmanship

Try to imagine the worst thing you could realistically do:

My scenario - suppose in a tournament I eliminate an enemy ship early - so I am up in points.  Then suppose I decide to spend the next 50 minutes trying to figure out my next maneuver dial.  Oh time is up?   Guess I get a modified win based on points!  

I would be more interested in examples of bad sportsmanship (not naming and shaming) that I could show my son so he would know what not to do.  had to pull him aside and have a talk with him the other day about that.  But he is 7 so that is to be expected.

The tourney rules explicitly state:

"Players are expected to behave in a mature and considerate manner, and to

play within the rules and not abuse them. This prohibits intentionally stalling
a game for time..."

When it's a judgement call, I almost always give it to the other guy. I played a fellah where 4 or 5 times I gave him the "let's call it range 2 instead of 3" or "yeah, that's in arc" when it was questionable. He took my gimmies every time. Then when it was questionable in my favor he was all "NO! THAT'S OUT!!!" It bothered me at first. Eventually I realized that a hollow victory meant something to him whereas I was there to have fun. I went back to flying casual, and let him do his thing. He got the win, but I guarantee I had the better time.

The best revenge is living well.

If I face him at Imdaar though, I may take the low road and insist on measurements and let the TO make the calls. I want to win a ship, and I'm not going to be bullied out of a win.

Are you just trying to create another 20 page thread that the moderators have to lock (and probably issue warnings for)?

Not at all, just trying to see some funny ideas.  the one about swishing the dice in your mouth was my favorite so far!   

I once threw a handful of asteroids onto another table and shouted "Meteor Shower".  Felt kinda bad afterwards because it ended up knocking their ships over. 

But I suppose we can mention realistic things we've seen people do.  Like intentionally bumping ships so that they end up moving favorably.  

The worst sportsmanship I can think of?

Calling your opponent "unsportsmanlike" for following all the game rules while playing (ie. doing his actions and making his decisions) in a timely fashion.  I guess it does get worse when you throw a hissy about it and start posting about it or making a scene.

Worse possible sportsmanship...

Lose a ship then flip the table over, jump on it crushing all the models then hitting the other guy...

bringing a live thermal detonator to a game and threatening your opponent to let go of it if he dares to kill one of your ships. 

I would be more interested in examples of bad sportsmanship (not naming and shaming) that I could show my son so he would know what not to do.  had to pull him aside and have a talk with him the other day about that.  But he is 7 so that is to be expected.

Biggest thing is to tell him not to get too upset, its ok to grumble, but making jokes is better. I know when i play younger players I always make jokes or make up a cool story on the fly "pun intended". Gloating can be bad too but most people won't care if a 7 yr old gloats.

Had a guy get so pissed at the outcome of his dice rolling he yelled, "Thank you God for really helping me down here!!! Stupid mother f***ing dice!!! F*** this game!!!"

Then he acted like he was going to throw the dice across the room, but didn't.

Heh, had a similar experience on a game of 40k. Opponant needed anything but 12 on 2D6. Of course he rolled 12, and picked up the two dice and threw them across the room, just BARELY missing another friends head (unintentional). He then continued his turn and game having never retrieved the dice.

I commend you dukewolf.  My son had the same issue for quite awhile when playing games.  He is now required to give a hand shake or fist bump (something polite) whether he wins or loses.  He usually does it without being told now, but it is particularly hard when he loses badly (by a bunch).

P.S.  He is only 9, but better taught now that later or never.

I will admit that during games when i'm not rolling particularly well, my temper gets the better of me and i get really pissy with people. I'm not proud of it and I try not too, but I'm not the type to take losing easily. But I don't want to be a poor sport, so I try to be better about it.