Sign in to follow this  
DarkFather

Defeating Dual Falcons with Imperials.

I know it has to be do-able. But how? I have crunched numbers with many different lists, but always end up coming up short.

I've wondered about a Firespray with Ion and dual Omicron's with HLC (plus other addons of course), but I'm not sure this would even do the trick. For starters the Firespray would have to Ion twice before it'd be effective.

I usually run Interceptors to deal with everything, but I can't see that working. Every situation I pose theoretically, the Int's lose (best outcome I have had was Chewie with no shields left and 3 wounds left, and Han dead).

Any one out there bested the dual cheeseburgers with Imps on a constant basis?

Cheers

Swarm is it? Really?

Oh dear. Not good. I would prefer to stay away from running a swarm if at all possible. I have used swarm in the past to good effect, but surely there is something else.

Cheers

Interceptors aren't a great start - they're no tougher than fighters and much more expensive. An interceptor's main defence is not being in arc of fire in the first place, which doesn't work against YT-1300 and their range 3 turrets.

TIE fighters aren't a bad plan - more attackers means more hits; a falcon lacks the defense dice to cut much damage out. I'm unconvinced Howlrunner will do you much good by herself - both YT-1300 will put their shots in before the Academy Pilots leaving you liable to lose a linchpin unit before you get much use out of her.

Bombers might work too - Scimitar Squadron Pilots have no more firepower (but can target lock), but nearly double their toughness for little points increase. 6 of them makes a wing the YT-1300's limited firepower might have trouble cutting through. Alternatively, maybe reach for big ships of your own? 3 Firesprays are tough and well armed.

The only thing I've seen consistently win, at all, is a swarm. It beats dual falcons, it beats XXBB, it beats imperial big ships, it beats interceptors, it beats 3 elite X's, it beats other swarms, it beats BBBAA, it beats everything. It can lose, due to dice, so everything also CAN beat it, but nothing has a better chance at winning than a tie swarm.

That said, I refuse to play them, on the same principle. I don't want to fall to the meta and become one of the hive mind. I've beaten dual falcons with dual falcons, but you want imperials. I would try a mini-swarm (Howlrunner + 3 academies) and something or somethings else. For example, a saber squadron pilot with PTL and stealth, Backstabber, and a mini-swarm (with stealth on Howl) is 100 points and has a few good threats. A fully tooled Kath or Krasis with the mini-swarm can also work well.

Mostly, beating dual falcons isn't about the list. Rather, it's the playstyle. Don't come at it through the asteroids. If they are going to cycle around the map, then meet him head on, K-turn behind him and give chase. If they are circling through the middle, hit them as hard as you can and stay on them. Some say you want to keep your distance and hit from a decent range, as their 1 agility will see them poorly, even when upgraded to 2 due to range. Others will tell you to get in close, punish that 1 agility as much as possible. I simply say make sure you have more than 1 shot at the blasted things every round, because if you only have 1 shot, guess what's probably not gonna be alive to shoot. If they are running a chewie tank build, kill the wookiee first, to negate those several points of his build. (Additionally, crits that happen later in the game become a bigger deal, as his remaining bird actually takes the effects from them.) You can beat dual falcons with any viable list, just don't let them run the board on you.

Dual Firespray seemed to work like a charm, the few times I've tried flying against it.

It wasn't even a very durable list; lots of useless points wasted here and there.

I just thought, before reading these posts actually, about...

Krassis + HLC

BH + HLC

*pick a TIE* I went with Night Beast...

98 Points

OR Dark curse for 99 total

Thoughts?

Cheers for all the feedback also.

Edited by DarkFather

Not a massive fan of a Heavy Laser Cannon on Kath Scarlett...

Good point.

In that case:

Trelix - HLC, PMines, Captive

Scarlet - Cluster Missiles, PMines, Gunner

99 pints - space for VI or Determination on Kath

So my wife plays with Han and Chewie because it's an easy list so this is what I did last time.

Scimitar Squadron Pilot (16pts) Concussion Missiles (4pts), Flechette Torpedoes (2pts)

Scimitar Squadron Pilot (16pts) Concussion Missiles (4pts), Flechette Torpedoes (2pts)

Captain Jonus (22pts) Adv Proton Torpedoes (6pts)

LS Omicron Group Pilot (28pts) Heavy Laser Cannon (7pts)

You start with concussion missiles each gives 2 atk at 3 dice each. I was able to focus on Han and do 5 damage in the opening. Follow up with the HLC, thanks to Jonus I did not miss a lot because of the reroll. Turn two Flechttes and Protons with another HLC and Han is done. Effectively I have 4 ships against Chewie. At this point it is a simple numbers game Chewie has 3 attacks 1 defe, I have a crap ton more.

Edited by Cubanboy

Thanks heaps to everyone for responding. Lot's of food for thought here. Since it's currently 11:30pm here and I have an early start tomorrow, I'll go to sleep now and check back in the morning. This list i am working on is mainly to run in the IA event this weekend at my local shop. I'm not too worried about having to confront a swarm, as I'm the only person locally to ever run one. I know there will be a mini-swarm of Interceptors (4 I think), and there are a couple of interesting Rebel lists in the pipeline with a couple of players as well.

I'm not overly comfortable with the idea of only 2 ships (Firesprays), but adding in a simple 3rd ship might be a way to go...

Krassis + HLC

BH + HLC

+ other... It opens me up atm to RC on Krassis and an Academy/Obsidian, or simply adding Backstabber for 99 points. I haven't yet decided. I am taking in to account all ideas, but I have to also rely on my own skills, which I don't think are 'good enough' to rely on the 2 ship builds. Then again... Never know what tomorrow might bring. Tomorrow night is also our stores X-wing night, so I'll be able to get in quite a few practice games with whatever list(s) I end up liking.

Cheers

If you want to be given a good chance to beat them then you need to look to a swarm. My normal play partner loves the Falcon and I have learned how to beat it very effectively.

Howlrunner with PTL

Saber Squad with PTL

Alpha Squad

Academy pilot x3

This list provides two 3 dice ships to provide 3 priority targets for your opponent. This usually allows your academies to get into range 1. You can easily drop one falcon in two turns.

I'm still baffled at people still struggling to kill two YT-1300’s. The simple trick is don't split up your shots. Two rounds of firing should bring down the flying saucer. Once one is down you almost have the game in hand as long as you having taken major casualties.

For myself (2 TIE/IN's 3 TIE/LN's) who has to expect a dual falcon list but not tailor a list against it, this is how I deal with it. Play slow to start, and get that range 3 shot at all expense. You will probably knock down their shields and take nothing in return. Next turn, take something expendable like an academy pilot and blast them forward 5 into the falcons way, and if you want insurance, a 4 and 3. They will probably smack right into you, lose their action (no focus or TL means you stay alive that much longer) and continue slow playing with the INT's. If dice are even mildly co-operative you should be down 1 falcon now, and the rest is clean up. Just don't play like you would against X-Wings and B-Wings by getting in their face. Stay at range and plink, and rob them of actions. 

1. Concentrate your fire

Falcons have lots of HP, but only 1 agility. If you shoot one of them with everything, it will last 2-3 rounds, max.

2. Crowd them at Range 1

You have more attacks than they do. A high damage-pool is in your favor.

3. Use ships with 1-2 agility and extra HP

Gunner is designed to eat 3 agility ships. Turn their fleet into a 90 pointer by making sure he never gets a shot.

4. Use Blockers to prevent their actions

Again: You have more ships than they do, and they can't attack the guy they ran into. Moreover, they don't hurt as badly without their precious actions.

5. Use the Asteroids to your grand advantage

Large based ships HATE asteroid thickets. The Empire's ships have Barrel-Roll, and therefore love them. Use the terrain to your advantage.

6. Watch this video

X-Wing Strategy Tips: Episode 7: Beating Double Falcons

I've beat dual falcon once and lost once with this list. The one time I lost it was because I bumped Soontir fairly early.

Soontir w/ PtL and Stealth
Mauler Mithral w/ Squad Leader
Scimitar w/ AM+SC x2

The game I lost was extremely close and I came down to 1 hp each.