Sign in to follow this  
Norsehound

Your favorite swarm!

Yes I freely admit, I love to fly TIE swarms. Partly because I love imperial equipment, another part because I like championing the cause of the faceless goons, and the rest because my dice luck is atrocious, and loosing one TIE in a swarm is not as great of a consequence as similar failures with expensive rebel craft.

It's been a while since I've been on the tournament circuit and I'm intending to return for Imdaar Alpha. Though I have a few good rebel lists, I want to come back with a TIE Swarm. And I wanted to see what other swarmers have for their favorite lists and offer them up for commentary.

I have a few lists I'm considering. The first is my Tournament list, which has been around since nearly the beginning:

Obsidian Squadron [100]:

Howlrunner//Swarm Tactics

Winged Gundark

5x Obsidian Squadron Pilots

Problem here is the last tournament I was in, I was defeated by blocking academies when facing another swarm. Was on top of my game until then, even defeating another swarm list in a close match.

Another the "standard swarm":

Everyswarm: [100]

Dark Curse

7x Academy pilots

Not particularly inventive I know, but this list's only target priority will be Dark Curse, who is more difficult to shoot at than the acadmies. Nobody with a target on their back.

It's not that I don't like Interceptors, I just don't like them dying too quickly. On the other hand having a couple in a standard list could be interesting to bank on their agility:

Stabbem [96]

5x Academy Pilots

2x Alpha Squadron pilots

Committed to going last, but I pick whom to move, and massed fire as a wave on target.

Lastly, modeled after a bomber list I saw on the May 4th tournament. I don't have five bombers, but I have enough...

Foil-wrapped brick [100]

4x scimitar squadron pilots

3x Academy pilots

I'm also looking for feedback on the approach to my lists. Is there an obvious strategy that's missing? Is there a reason why a lot more discussion is happening with rebel lists instead of swarms? Are swarms so assured of victory that it's not worth discussing, or is there a flaw here that makes them not as competitive as rebel builds?

Is there a reason why a lot more discussion is happening with rebel lists instead of swarms?

There's a simple explanation behind that - I believe, the Rebels appear to be more popular in general.

Recently, I've liked:

Howlrunner

Black Squadron Pilot + Draw Their Fire

2x Academy Pilot

2x Alpha Squadron Pilot + Hull Upgrade

It has higher firepower than a normal 7 TIE swarm at ranges 2 and 3 and only 1 less hull. That extra firepower is helpful when fighting other swarms or Biggs.

Edited by kraedin

Recently, I've liked:

Howlrunner

Black Squadron Pilot + Draw Their Fire

2x Academy Pilot

2x Alpha Squadron Pilot + Hull Upgrade

It has higher firepower than a normal 7 TIE swarm at ranges 2 and 3 and only 1 less hull. That extra firepower is helpful when fighting other swarms or Biggs.

I like this, but its too bad you can't quite fit swarm tactics in there...

I've flown a TIE swarm pretty much since Wave 1 of what I guess is called "Sinister 6."

1x Howlrunner w/ST

1x Mauler Mithel

1x Dark Curse

1x Night Beast

1x Winged Gundark

1x Backstabber

Recently, I have been flying a split TIE swarm with:

1x Howlrunner w/ST

2x Obsidian Squadron Pilots

2x Royal Guard Pilot w/PTL & Targeting Computer

I have had great success with both.

The reason I didn't sink Howlrunner into my Original post lists is because of the simple problem of having a target on her forehead. I figure with generics on the table my opponent has no particular TIE fighter that will be shot at first. She would be very nice to have if I could reliably protect her, but it didn't always work. I had elusiveness on her once and that wasn't able to protect her.

The reason I didn't sink Howlrunner into my Original post lists is because of the simple problem of having a target on her forehead. I figure with generics on the table my opponent has no particular TIE fighter that will be shot at first. She would be very nice to have if I could reliably protect her, but it didn't always work. I had elusiveness on her once and that wasn't able to protect her.

So spot your opponent 3 points of damage, and compare a list without Howlrunner to a list with dead Howlrunner. The margin is so small, and her advantage if you can keep her alive is so great, that I've come back around to the idea that she's basically an auto-include in any Imperial list with 6+ ships.

As for what I like to run, it's been a while since I ran a straight swarm. At the end of Wave 2's metagame, it looked like this:

"Howlrunner" (18)
Stealth Device (3)

Black Squadron Pilot (14)
Draw Their Fire (1)

"Dark Curse" (16)

Academy Pilot (12)

Alpha Squadron Pilot (18)

Alpha Squadron Pilot (18)

Total: 100

I messed around a bit with Bomber swarms in Wave 3, but I didn't like them all that well--not bad, just boring for me in comparison to Firesprays and Bomber lists with ordnance. These days, if I were putting together a swarm list, it would be a mini-swarm with an Interceptor flank: Howlrunner + Stealth with four Academy pilots and a Royal Guard + PTL + Stealth + Hull.

I was thinking about swarms this afternoon and was wondering about the 8 TIE swarm.  Seems like its fallen out of favour since Wave 2 and beyond.

But what about flying it in two groups?  Not necessarily far apart, but spaced enough to allow each clump of 4 to manoeuvre around asteroids.  Two 2x2 formations with pairs of academies and obsidians in each (academies in front, obviously).

Anyone try something like that?

The reason I didn't sink Howlrunner into my Original post lists is because of the simple problem of having a target on her forehead.

I only ever use Determination or Swarm Tactics on Howlrunner and I've yet to lose her where it mattered.

Also, you'll WANT your opponent to focus on her, so your lower PS ships/Squints survive longer.

She's the Imperial version of Biggs. :P

The one that won me my first game recently was:

Howlrunner w/ Swarm Tactics

Carnor Jax w/ PTL and Stealth

4 Academys

Worked very well!

I like this :).

Do you fly Carnor with the other ships or do you flank?

99 pts

Jax+PTL+Targeting Comp

Howl+Squad Leader

Dark Curse

Scimitar+Concussion Missles

Academy

Of course you could swap Backstabber for Dark Curse depending on your fancy.