Sign in to follow this  
E-Talker

Good investments for beginners

Hi there

I'm completely new to X-Wing but very interested in the game none the less.

It was actually becasue of an impulse buy that I bought the X-Wing base game (+ 1 Y-Fighter ) in the first place. As a noob I think I run the risk of buying the wrong ships as we are already seeing ships of the 4th wave. Very nice ofcourse but this complicates things for beginners I would say. To give you an example: a noob like me would buy Advanced Tie Fighters while I read online that the normal Tie Fighters might be better. 

So long story short: Which ships of both the Rebels and the Imperial side are worth investing in? And how many would I need of each of them to build a nice 100 point army of each faction?  

I know many builds exist but I can imagine that some ships are kind of the "norm" while others are depending on taste. It's the ones no competitive army can go without that I'm really looking for here. That way I know that at least some of the ships I buy will have been worth the money when I enter competitive play.

There really is no ship that you should not get. For new players the regular advice is to invest in a second core set (for 3 ships, more dice, double movement templates) and then get expansions that you like. You could get the tie fighter expansion and x-wing expansion before that extra core set if you wanted more choice in pilots for each ship. At some point you are going to want one of each ship so you can see how they do.

The only ship that currently doesn't warrant more than one is the tie advanced. That is an argument for another day.

Ok so a second core set will become one of my next investments!
Are the pilots of the loose tie-fighter and x-wing expansions worth it?

And I think I will start investing in some Tie Interceptors & Bombers afterwards for the Imperial army. The Phantom looks very nice as well though... 

One of each

But in my opinion

2 awings

2 bwings

2 Firespray

2-3 Omnicron pilots

6-7 tie fighters

2-4 interceptor

2-4 bombers.

Of course it varies based on your play style, but I always feel at least one of everything. Gives you options, and if you don't like a ship maybe the upgrades will come in handy.

It's also nice to have so you can have ships for your friends to fly. Get them playing as well :)

Ok so a second core set will become one of my next investments!

Are the pilots of the loose tie-fighter and x-wing expansions worth it?

And I think I will start investing in some Tie Interceptors & Bombers afterwards for the Imperial army. The Phantom looks very nice as well though... 

Yes.

Tie nets you howlrunner, the best pilot ability of the empires side. Plus others

X-wing nets you Wedge, the best pilot of the Rebel side. Plus others.

As everyone else mentioned you can't go wrong with picking up one of everything eventually though take your time and get them in the order of the ships that interest you the most.

There's a few cases where I personally think you don't need to get two of an expansion, these are mostly when the ships are available else where such as the X-wing. You'll probably want to get 2 cores eventually and then 1 x-wing expansion and then you might get the Transport. This will leave you with 4 X's which should be the most you'll ever need unless you're playing Rebel vs Rebel and supplying all the ships. The same could be said for the TIE fighter expansion since you can't use any of the unique pilots more than once and if you want 7 ties you're better off going 1 expansion + 3 cores value wise (you might even be able to sell the extra stuff in the third core if you want). Aside from that, I personally can't ever see running more than 1 HWK in a list, or 1 TIE Advanced unless upgrades come out in the future that make them better and in that case I'll pick up more then. That said there may be upgrades you want in those expansions that convince you to buy extra copies, obviously you'll know what you're after at that point.

Everything else is pretty solid and having multiples can be handy. If you only want two A-wings or B-wings eventually I'd recommend just getting one for now and being patient for the Rebel Aces release.  

Edited by stmack

Two core sets is useful for extra dice etc. but not mandatory straight away unless you're introducing other people to the game, in which case the extras are very useful. I've only got one core set as I preferred to try to get 1 or 2 of each expansion rather than loading up on a zillion TIE Fighters. Contrary to popular opinion on these forums, you don't actually need a dozen of every ship :P  

It's probably best to either get an extra core set, or the TIE Fighter and X-Wing expansions and then play around with what you've got and see what sort of play style you like then fill in the gaps as you go. Having X-Wings and TIE Fighters is generally a good investment. Then, for Rebels think about what you want when you're flying your Xs and Y. Do you get fed up of being outmanoeuvred by TIEs? If so, get an A-Wing. Want more resilience? Get a B wing or the Falcon.

For Imperials, a TIE Interceptor expansion and the Imperial Aces box will net you three Interceptors with all the pilots and are a lot of fun to fly. Should keep you busy until Wave 4 hits and has been thoroughly dissected for pros and cons.

I'd suggest avoiding the TIE Advanced, HWK and the large ships at first until you've got a few games under your belt as the TIE Advanced and HWK are not the greatest and the large ships do fly differently. Like someone else said above, Rebel Aces is coming soon, which is an A-Wing and a B-Wing, so probably don't get more than one of each of those at the moment.

Hope this helps.

If you want to start with just enough ships to field 100points on each side with a bit of variety and without overspending at the very start, I'd suggest this:

- Second starter

- 3x TIE Fighter expansions (so you got a 7 TIE swarm) OR 1x TIE + 1x Firespray (Slave 1)

- 1x X-Wing (mainly for Wedge)

- 1x B-Wing (or two for a XXBB list) OR a Falcon

Bombers are fun but only when flown together with more bombers so it's either 4 of or none.

TIE Advanced is nice to have at some point, just for Vader

A-Wings and Interceptors will be a good addition once you get used to flying the other ships so you'd be able to benefit from their agility.

The shuttle and the HWK should come last as neither is quite beginner friendly and they're only useful if flown in a specific way.

As of Wave 4, I think it's early to say.

In general try to end up with 2 to 4 of each small ship, except for TIE Fighters which you'd probably want 7 or 8, just one Advanced and probably just one of Advanced Sensors upgrades from the Shuttle for your 4 B-Wings.

Hey E,

As a newer player, I can say that most of the kits have something useful to competitive builds. Even the TIE Advanced has vader and a couple handy upgrades. That said I agree with a lot of the advice given.

A second starter and a TIE Fighter expansion will push you up to having the ability to run a rebel and imperial 100 point list and so far all of those ships make it into competitive lists. I started running with 2 starters, an X, a TIE Fighter and a TIE interceptor. Although when I first signed on, Y Wings and TIE advanced were hard to come by.

A Wings and HWKs seem to see the least play around my neighborhood, but even those make the table from time to time. B Wings seem to be prefered over Ys, but Y wings still make it into competitive lists. Usually just 1 but YMMV.

TIE mini swarms are still popular (Howrunner and 4 Academy pilots) and the Firespray (Slave 1) seems pretty popular as well. Interceptors and TIE bombers seem to have loyal followings. If you decide you like interceptors, the imperial aces gets you a few handy cards, and gives you a distinctive look for you next 2. The basic TIE Interceptor pack doesn't have any unique upgrades IIRC, so you could go straight to imperial aces, but a couple of the Interceptor pilots are fun. I did watcha  friend have some success with 5 TIE interceptors. I don't know if it would hold up at a tourney level, but it looked like fun.

The Lambda has some good upgrade cards, and while less popular than a firespray does see some table time and it does have some handy upgrades.

And currently at the bottom of the Imperial list is the much maligned TIE Advanced. I have two, and try hard to make them work, but they are really expensive (points wise) for what they do, and the only card I can think of you can't get elsewhere is squad leader (someone jump in if I am wrong).

So, my advice for a solid investment for building lists for both sides with ships you will use later on is a second starter, a TIE Fighter, and maybe 1 other Imperial ship (almost any to start) will get you solid 100 point lists. From there you can really get into the game and see what direction you want to grow into. Almost every expansion has at least some cards you can use, so very few things are a bad investment, but outside of basic ties I wouldn't buy a lot of multiples until you have more games under your belt. Even the TIE Advanced packs a dirty trick or two.

When you have the Core and a Y-Wing the fastest way to a competitive 100 point build is simply adding a Falcon.  Besides its use as a ship, which some dislike because it is "too easy" to pilot because of the turret, it has some upgrade options which you can use many other places.  For the price you can often get two smaller ships and four Rebel fighters can make an acceptable squadron but that may not help the other side as much.

Looking at the Imperial side the Firespray is another nice ship that includes a number of upgrades that are used other places.  You'll also find that most people want a number of TIE Fighters so the expansion and another Core set really helps there even if you aren't going full Swarm.  Interceptors are a tricky beast in that you usually want to fly the best of them; for those I'd like one expansion (especially for Turr and Fel who are great as singles) and the Aces pack although if you want to run 4 you'll probably want two Aces.  Bombers are a ship I think you either skip or you plan to get in multiples.

I focused on picking up ships I liked as a Star Wars fan.  My first add was an A-wing, which I haven't used much.  But my 2nd was an HWK-290 (Kyle Katarn's ship from the game Dark Forces).  I ended up liking its turret and support functions and use that one quite a bit.

I also focused more on Rebel than Imp because I knew I wanted to fly Rebel ships.  But it wasn't long before I'd picked up just about every ship with multiples.

There really is no ship that you should not get. For new players the regular advice is to invest in a second core set (for 3 ships, more dice, double movement templates) and then get expansions that you like. You could get the tie fighter expansion and x-wing expansion before that extra core set if you wanted more choice in pilots for each ship. At some point you are going to want one of each ship so you can see how they do.

The only ship that currently doesn't warrant more than one is the tie advanced. That is an argument for another day.

This - even though only 5 or 6 of the ships are super competitive at the highest levels of play, they are ALL fun to play with, especially casually. My suggestion is to get a mix and just have fun.

X-wing expansion and Tie expansion both contain 2 different named pilots not found in the core set.

A couple X wings plus any other rebel fighter is a pretty good list.  Rebel seems to build 3 small fighters where each one is a named pilot with a couple upgrades OR build 4 small fighters using generic pilots with few improvements.

Swarm seems to be the most common Empire army, and it is very thematic.  The other option is Slave-1 rounded out with a few Ties.

Vader version of Tie Advanced isn't terrible, it's just not super great.   Honestly, it's fun to have Vader on the board for thematic reasons, just don't expect miracles with him.  His 2 actions make him a great dog-fighter.  (Just don't go chasing after the Millennium Falcon, Vader needs to utilize his pilot skills and barrel roll to keep from getting shot while shooting at the opponent.)

It's a new option, so many folks don't think of it for players just starting their collection:

Pick up an Aces expansion (Imperial now, or Rebel in a few months). You get 2 ships and a large collection of really awesome upgrades, for around the same price as one of the large ships. 

Heck, I suggest it as an alternative for the 2nd Core Set, 'cause it gets you more points on the field and a wider array of fleet options.

Two Starters and an X-Wing expansion allows you to start running 100 point Rebel lists.

For Imperials, two starters and a TIE expansion will still leave you about 20-24 points short. Either an Interceptor or two TIEs will fill that gap.

Thank you all for your kind and helpful advice!

In a few days I'll be introducing the game to my friends (who seem to be quite interested already). After that I'll probably be investing in a second core game, a x-wing and a tie as this is what most of you agree on. But I'm still in doubt between the firespray and the aces expansion to complete the empires army. Both look really fun to play.

Firespray vs. Imperial Aces....

Ouch, that is a hard choice.  I'd say the Aces actually provide a far wider range of point uses as you go from a single 21 point Saber up to a a pair of tricked out aces each of which can cost over 30 points.  With the Firespray your floor is 33 points for a Bounty Hunter although a tricked out Boba Fett can be expensive.