Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sturn

VC-100 Deckplans / Stats (aka "Ghost" from Rebels)

71 posts in this topic

Dissecting this video, it gave oodles of new information. I wish I had it in May:

0:18 Good images of the ladder up to the dorsal turret. My deckplan has the central passage going around this ladder, not continuing on straight through it. Easy enough to adjust I think.

1:09 Finally get to see how a person gets into the front ball turret. You can see a ladder going down from the right (starboard) side of the cockpit towards the back door. I had the ladder in the middle of the cockpit so I just need to slide it over.

2:12 We get to see 2 rear passenger cockpit seats (like in the Falcon). I only had 2 "front" seats. I will need to grow my cockpit a bit.

2:12+ We get to see the astromech take a trip from the front cockpit all the way back and into the Phantom! Solid information on the central, upper hallway and finally get to see how to get into the Phantom. See problem below.

2:18 Hard to see, but you get a glimpse of the galley through the doors just beyond the dorsal gun ladder. It's a small half-circle bench and round table like in the Falcon to the side of the passage. At 2:21, that same cubby-hole looks more like a door entrance, but could just be explained by the artist not putting in much detail since he/she wasn't expecting us to freeze frame and analyze.

Problem: We get to see a door slide open as the droid enters the Phantom. Just beyond the Phantom is a passage that includes a galley open to this passage and 3 more doors or cubby-holes (cabins?, fresher?). So when the Phantom is launched, there is a door at back of what appears to be a living area that opens straight into space. No airlock. If someone wants to enter/exit through this back door, no one should be eating lunch!  Since my deckplan is for a "stock" VC-100, what did this door lead to before the Phantom was installed? I can't imagine the design having a back door from the galley/cabin area leading straight into space. Was there a rear airlock here that was ripped out to install the Phantom?

Updates needed for my deckplans:

Cockpit: Enlarge it to aft. Add 2 more chairs. Move the ladder down to the ball turret to the starboard side.

Central Hallway to Gun Ladder: Get rid of the split into 2 forward-aft hallways. Meld it into one. The side passages (to the escape pods) will no longer need the fold down bunks since it looks like I have a place to move them further back (see below). This would make the 2 airlocks before the escape pods huge. I will make them skinnier and have them double as ship's lockers, removing the one further back (see below).

Central Hallway Past Gun Ladder: I had a Hyperdrive, Fresher, Locker, and Galley here. The Galley will still be in this area, but moved to the other side and needs to be made smaller somehow (difficult). This area has 2 doors or cubby holes on each side. One is the Galley. The other I will make a Fresher. The remaining 2 will be Cabins since it makes sense (near fresher and galley) and I lost bunk space up above.

Engine Room / Phantom Area: Great that we know exactly where to place the Phantom now. In my stock version (no Phantom), I'm going to place a small rear airlock here while making adjustments so a Phantom will fit nicely here if the airlock is removed. My upper engine room needs to be scrapped. This is fine though since I already had an engine room on the lower deck. My old lower engine room will need to be altered/expanded somewhat, since the hyperdrive needs to be moved down there.

I want to get to work on these changes, but wonder if I should wait for Season 1 to start since more information will be coming? I could make the upper deck changes now, but I'm sure the lower cargo deck (we haven't seen much of it) will be greatly altered once we get glimpses during the first few episodes.

Edited by Sturn
bradknowles likes this

I've been going through all of the need videos and correcting the top floor of my plan. But, I ran into a problem I can't seem to solve with the information at hand. Namely the outter images combined with the following two videos.

The Machine in the Ghost has Chopper making a run down the spine hallway from the cockpit to the Phantom at the back. It starts at 2:10. Once he passes under the dorsal turret, you catch a glimpse of him entering the "Commons" area (you can see the lounge seating, stools, tables to Chopper's left - compare to next video below). The next time we see Chopper he is in a hallway which appears to have 6 doors (looks just like the one behind the cockpit). He appears to have just entered the hallway (last seen in the Commons), passes several doors on the side, then enters the Phantom.

No problem so far.

Now compare to the first half of this video showing the Commons (lounge) and a Galley. The scene starts in the Galley that appears to only have a single door exitting forward to the lounge area*. This is further suggested by Chopper standing guard at the only door. In the Commons, we can see the door going towards the front (enters dorsal turret well), a door to the Galley, and a ladder going up. This Commons is the area we see Chopper entering before we next see him moving from a hallway with 6 doors (2 each side, 1 each end) as he enters the Phantom.

Where does the Commons and the hallway to the Phantom meet up? There is no door out of the back of the Galley. The only way out of the Commons appears to be the door Chopper entered and the stairs up. Chopper has jets, but we've only so far see him hover a bit over the floor with them, not fly up a ladder well.

So let's assume Chopper CAN fly up a ladder well. After he enters the Commons, he goes up the ladder to an "attic". We DO see a small "attic" section suggested by this picture. Look between the dorsal turret and the Phantom. It's pretty small to suggest a hallway with 6 doors (and thus at least 2 small rooms on each side), but possibly doable.

ANY OTHER SOLUTIONS?

*If you look closely at this scene, you see the corner of a shelf directly across form the Galley door suggesting there is not another door out the back. You get to see both sides of the Galley if you watch closely - no doors at the sides (cabinets on one side, table and benches on the other). Add to this there isn't much room between the dorsal turret nexus and the Phantom. If you try to squeeze the Commons, Galley, then a Hallway with room for 2 doors along each side, that doesn't match up with the space between the dorsal turret and Phantom that we see from the outside of the ship. It just can't fit. Thus, my only solution is Chopper goes up to an attic to a Hallway that is above the Galley.

Edited by Sturn

That's interesting. According to that picture, the Ghost has two rear laser cannons in addition to the forward and dorsal weapons. I don't think anyone has statted it that way. Also, it doesn't really show how the Phantom docks. 

bradknowles likes this

We could assume the rear laser cannons were an aftermarket upgrade.

For a stock Light Freighter, the 2 existing turrets seem reasonable. A Freighter sporting 3 turrets standard is pushing for being classified as a civilian craft.

bradknowles likes this

But the picture he linked doesn't show the Phantom and the rear lasers are mentioned in the stats box along the side. I would've thought if they were the Phantom's it would say so. This isn't really a biggie though, since Sturn is trying to stat a stock freighter rather than The Ghost. 

bradknowles likes this

But the picture he linked doesn't show the Phantom and the rear lasers are mentioned in the stats box along the side. I would've thought if they were the Phantom's it would say so. This isn't really a biggie though, since Sturn is trying to stat a stock freighter rather than The Ghost. 

No. it mentions the nose guns and the dorsal turret. it does not mention the rear guns. Because those guns are on the Phantom. 

The picture we are talking about is this one. It DOES show the Phantom at the back. It's hard to see. On top of the Ghost you see the dorsal turret obviously in the middle. As you go back the top is kinda flat, then you see a small raised section I'm currently calling the "attic". Right past that is another raised section at the very back. That is the Phantom. You can see one of it's sloping wings where it rests up against the port-side primary engine.

The video Machine in the Ghost obviously shows Chopper (the astromech) running down the spine hallway of the ship from the front cockpit all the way to controls to a double laser cannon at the rear. That double laser cannon is actually the front double laser cannon of the Phantom. While it is docked with the Ghost in such manner you can apparently use it's gun as a rear double turret. Interesting idea for game purposes.

In the picture above, weapons for the Ghost are listed as: 1 Dorsal Laser Turret (seen on top), 2 Forward Laser Cannons (the big bubble nose turret, probably should have called it a Double Laser Cannon, it's just one emplacement not two), and 2 Rear Laser Cannons (again should have said a Rear Double Laser Cannon). They are counting the double laser cannon on the nose of the Phantom as the rear cannon of the Ghost, when the armed shuttle is docked.

bradknowles likes this

They are counting the double laser cannon on the nose of the Phantom as the rear cannon of the Ghost, when the armed shuttle is docked.

Yeah, it looks like they are assuming that most viewers don't also know about the Phantom, and are saving it as a "surprise" for the pilot/movie/whatever it is. So calling it the "rear turret" in promo stuff isn't surprising. Though as much of the show as they've show in these previews so far it seems like the Phantom is going to be the only surprise...

bradknowles likes this

Dissecting this video, it gave oodles of new information. I wish I had it in May:

0:18 Good images of the ladder up to the dorsal turret. My deckplan has the central passage going around this ladder, not continuing on straight through it. Easy enough to adjust I think.

1:09 Finally get to see how a person gets into the front ball turret. You can see a ladder going down from the right (starboard) side of the cockpit towards the back door. I had the ladder in the middle of the cockpit so I just need to slide it over.

2:12 We get to see 2 rear passenger cockpit seats (like in the Falcon). I only had 2 "front" seats. I will need to grow my cockpit a bit.

2:12+ We get to see the astromech take a trip from the front cockpit all the way back and into the Phantom! Solid information on the central, upper hallway and finally get to see how to get into the Phantom. See problem below.

2:18 Hard to see, but you get a glimpse of the galley through the doors just beyond the dorsal gun ladder. It's a small half-circle bench and round table like in the Falcon to the side of the passage. At 2:21, that same cubby-hole looks more like a door entrance, but could just be explained by the artist not putting in much detail since he/she wasn't expecting us to freeze frame and analyze.

Problem: We get to see a door slide open as the droid enters the Phantom. Just beyond the Phantom is a passage that includes a galley open to this passage and 3 more doors or cubby-holes (cabins?, fresher?). So when the Phantom is launched, there is a door at back of what appears to be a living area that opens straight into space. No airlock. If someone wants to enter/exit through this back door, no one should be eating lunch!  Since my deckplan is for a "stock" VC-100, what did this door lead to before the Phantom was installed? I can't imagine the design having a back door from the galley/cabin area leading straight into space. Was there a rear airlock here that was ripped out to install the Phantom?

Updates needed for my deckplans:

Cockpit: Enlarge it to aft. Add 2 more chairs. Move the ladder down to the ball turret to the starboard side.

Central Hallway to Gun Ladder: Get rid of the split into 2 forward-aft hallways. Meld it into one. The side passages (to the escape pods) will no longer need the fold down bunks since it looks like I have a place to move them further back (see below). This would make the 2 airlocks before the escape pods huge. I will make them skinnier and have them double as ship's lockers, removing the one further back (see below).

Central Hallway Past Gun Ladder: I had a Hyperdrive, Fresher, Locker, and Galley here. The Galley will still be in this area, but moved to the other side and needs to be made smaller somehow (difficult). This area has 2 doors or cubby holes on each side. One is the Galley. The other I will make a Fresher. The remaining 2 will be Cabins since it makes sense (near fresher and galley) and I lost bunk space up above.

Engine Room / Phantom Area: Great that we know exactly where to place the Phantom now. In my stock version (no Phantom), I'm going to place a small rear airlock here while making adjustments so a Phantom will fit nicely here if the airlock is removed. My upper engine room needs to be scrapped. This is fine though since I already had an engine room on the lower deck. My old lower engine room will need to be altered/expanded somewhat, since the hyperdrive needs to be moved down there.

I want to get to work on these changes, but wonder if I should wait for Season 1 to start since more information will be coming? I could make the upper deck changes now, but I'm sure the lower cargo deck (we haven't seen much of it) will be greatly altered once we get glimpses during the first few episodes.

why not have the airlocks not be huge? have them be standard sized with a hallway leading to them that could have lockers on the walls. as storing stuff in the airlock makes no sense.  

bradknowles likes this

I think they have to be because the airlocks are also the escape pods.

I think he was speaking of the passages in my deckplan leading to the escape pods. I initially made them as wide as the fore-aft passages due to what we see on the outside of the ship - The suggested cross-pattern of passages from the humps up top seem equal in width. My latest deckplan (not posted yet) does actually decrease the width of these side passages but keeps the escape pods the same size.

i thought of something for the door to the Phantom. What if it works like an elevator door? IE there is an inside half and outside half and you can open the door only if the other half is there meaning the elevator car has to be in place for the door to open. 

i thought of something for the door to the Phantom. What if it works like an elevator door? IE there is an inside half and outside half and you can open the door only if the other half is there meaning the elevator car has to be in place for the door to open. 

IF I'm reading what you are saying right, I already did the same with the escape pods. The escape pod obviously can't share a door with the side of the ship. If it did, when the escape pod launches there is either going to be a gaping hole in the back of the escape pod or in the side of the ship. My stock version was created without the Phantom, but obviously it would also need the double doors (Phantom's door pushed up against Ghost's rear door) like I did with the escape pods.

What I was commenting on way above (now obsolete with more information) was it appeared the door connecting to the back of the Ghost opened into the Commons. That wouldn't make sense to have a door straight into space from a living area without a second door creating an airlock. The video I later found above (discussion in the galley and commons) shows that the Phantom is not actually connected directly to the Commons.

My current problem is trying to figure out how you get from the Commons and into the Phantom when we now know there is only a ladder to exit the back of the Commons. Chopper has to be able to fly up a stairwell and into an "attic" to get to the passage entering the Phantom is the only solution I can come up with thus far (see details above).

Hmm. Just thought of another possibility. The Phantom is described as an "armed shuttle". I don't think it is supposed to be that big, but could that passage we see Chopper enter the Phantom from (it's a hallway with 2 doors on each side, one on each end) actually be part of the Shuttle? Is that hallway not on the Ghost but a rear hallway of the Phantom itself? I doubt it. The hallway and style of the doors look nearly identical to what we see elsewhere in the Ghost.

You mean the one with the small doors on either side? That is on the phantom. Probably storage cabinets on the phantom.

No, not those little side doors. I was speaking of the hallway beyond the Phantom. In this clip Chopper enters the Phantom at about 2:21. It's that hallway he just left that gives me a problem when making a deckplan. The details of my problem I've already posted above. When you consider the outside images of the ship plus all of the clips we have of the inside, that hallway just doesn't seem to fit. My fix is making it in an, "attic", but it is way too big for what we see on the outside of the Ghost (between the Phantom and the dorsal turret). Either the deckplan needs to be fudged a bit or there is (hopefully) something we will later see that explains it all. At this point I can't imagine anything that would fit with all of the current info we have. I think it's a matter of all of the artists not syncing with each other and so the deckplan will have to be fudged.

Edited by Sturn

It seems to me that it would make sense for the shuttle to have that "hallway" right behind the cockpit. I'm sure it has some cargo/passenger space, right?  It would also make sense for the doors and whatnot on the shuttle to look just like those on the Ghost since the Phantom is designed to dock with it. Id guess the shuttle would probably also come stock, though likely not weaponized.

It seems to me that it would make sense for the shuttle to have that "hallway" right behind the cockpit. I'm sure it has some cargo/passenger space, right?  It would also make sense for the doors and whatnot on the shuttle to look just like those on the Ghost since the Phantom is designed to dock with it. Id guess the shuttle would probably also come stock, though likely not weaponized.

I had thought of this (that hallway being in the Phantom, not the Ghost), but it just appeared way too identical to the Ghost's large hallways and I thought it made the Phantom too big. It WOULD fix my problem if this was the case. That ladder we see in the Commons goes up and into a rear airlock on the Phantom itself. That can more easily be made to work.

Do we have any pictures or videos of the crew disembarking the Phantom after landing on a planet? That would quickly tell us if that hallway is part of the Phantom or not.

If you look at the rear of the Ghost at around 2:15 in Machine in the Ghost, you can see that the Phantom really does seem to be connected to a small "attic" which is right behind the dorsal turret.

However, though the Phantom does look small, it could also be partially inside the attic judging by the notches that seem to be on the bottoms of both sides (you can kinda see the port wing of the Phantom through the Ghost's starboard notch thing). You can't see how far back in there it goes, though, but I'd guess it probably goes to that square block that the turret sits on (or maybe even a little further). It definitely looks like there's more space in it than just the cockpit either way and Chopper has to get into it from the aft somehow.

Have we seen any pictures of the Phantom by itself aside from the Lego model?

[edit] Nevermind. I found a picture of this toy which shows how short the thing is. I think the "attic" really is a thing, but it's just a small docking port/airlock. Given the way the scene cuts before Chopper enters the shuttle, though, a ladder leading up there could be practically anywhere (as could that small room with 4 doors and the ladder to the turret).

[edit 2] I think I've figured it out. That whole short takes place in the "attic! I threw together a little mockup with my maserful mspaint skills here. You can see where he starts in the cockpit, goes back through that corridor, into the small room with the turret ladder, the second corridor/airlock for docking the shuttle, and then the green lines show about where the aft of the shuttle docks. I'm not sure what to think of all the doors in those hallways, though. Maybe they lead to ladders, lifts, or closet space...?

[yet another edit] Since you were looking for one, this video shows how they exit the shuttle at about 0:29. You can see through to the canopy. Also note that the door looks exactly like those found on the Ghost..

Edited by ayures

[edit 2] I think I've figured it out. That whole short takes place in the "attic! I threw together a little mockup with my maserful mspaint skills here. You can see where he starts in the cockpit, goes back through that corridor, into the small room with the turret ladder, the second corridor/airlock for docking the shuttle, and then the green lines show about where the aft of the shuttle docks. I'm not sure what to think of all the doors in those hallways, though. Maybe they lead to ladders, lifts, or closet space...?

You missed the Commons. After the small room with the turret ladder, Chopper does not enter the corridor/airlock for the shuttle. He enters the Commons first. Scroll up above where I linked the video and the exact time you can see the lounge area just past (to the rear) of the small turret room. He goes from the turret room into the Commons, which is quite large with the galley (another room) at the back of it with only a ladder exitting through the ceiling (in a different video linked above). That is why I invented the "attic" to be that hallway behind the Phantom. Problem is the attic is way too small for it to be that hallway.

It WOULD make complete sense for there to be only a hallway between the Phantom and the turret room. That works. BUT, we have evidence in two different videos that the turret is attached to the Commons/Galley, not that hallway.

I'm reading A New Dawn now. Perhaps it will throw in a few descriptions to help us out. :) I can't imagine the creators of Rebels don't have a detailed deckplan somewhere. Hopefully we will see it soon after Episode 1?

[yet another edit] Since you were looking for one, this video shows how they exit the shuttle at about 0:29. You can see through to the canopy. Also note that the door looks exactly like those found on the Ghost..

Yes that's pretty clear that the hallway is on the Ghost and not part of the Phantom. Thanks for the help.

Great! That's the third pic I've seen now of a room, and the best. That appears to be a "stock" room when compared to the one with the game table. I had a ladder going up to the second bunk in my latest deckplan. Looks like no ladder and I get to now add a table and chair. :)  Thanks.

Edited by Sturn