Sign in to follow this  
An Irishman

Star Wars Rogue Squadron Reference

I'm currently listening to Star Wars Rogue Squadron - Audiobook and at one part of the book Coran Horn references a battle rogue squadron had just fought in.  He said they faced 36 Tie Fighters, 6 Tie Interceptors, 6 Tie Bombers and 24 Starfighters.

Any idea what ship the "Starfighters" are in reference to??

Reference point, this book takes place after the 2nd death star but before the Alliance has taken Coruscant.

I'm currently listening to Star Wars Rogue Squadron - Audiobook and at one part of the book Coran Horn references a battle rogue squadron had just fought in.  He said they faced 36 Tie Fighters, 6 Tie Interceptors, 6 Tie Bombers and 24 Starfighters.

Any idea what ship the "Starfighters" are in reference to??

Reference point, this book takes place after the 2nd death star but before the Alliance has taken Coruscant.

This would have been much easier if you seen the actual book. Here is what it means:

We faced 36 Tie Fighters (total). 6 (of them were) Tie Interceptors, 6 (of them were) Tie Bombers, and 24 (of them were) Starfighters (Tie Starfighters, or TIE/LN's)  (6+6+24=36)

Tie Fighter seems to be a generic term for any TIE in Michael Stackpoles books, while a Starfighter is what most of us all know and love as a Tie Fighter.

Edited by Battalia

I'd have to reread to remember, but wanted to ask, did you happen to find an unabridged version of the audiobook?  All the audio versions I've seen are abridged.

Not going to lie, I'm listening to a youtube version of the audiobook.  Pretty sure it is abridged as it is moving very quickly.  

Jo Jo, that's kind of what I figured.  Just a random mix of assorted starfighters the struggling empire put together for a mission

hmm i miss reading about "vaping eyeballs and squints". might need to bust out my books for my yearly fix of star wars reading.

Edited by oddeye

I've got my copy handy, it sounds like the first assault on "Blackmoon"  ( I don't want to spoil anything just in case).  Any other details to help make the section easier to locate, such as who Corran was talking to?  

It was a recap by Wedge (not Coran like I originally thought!),about a battle not specifically in the book, when Rogue Squadron was sent out to rescue a downed alliance craft on Insara

(Also referenced the battle as the Route of Insara (spelling?)

Can nobody read my post? lol oh well, I tried =p

I read it, and you're probably right, but it'll drive me nuts until I read it for myself lol.  It just makes me crazy that I used to know these books backwards and forwards, and I can't find that section.  Past time for another readthrough, I think.

Edited by Audio Weasel

I believe he means "eyeballs" aka the standard TIE, not a generic assortment of craft

6 (squints) + 6 (dupes) + 24 (eyeballs) = 36 (TIEs), so I'm betting on this.

Edit: Waaaay to slow with this response.

Edited by Sideslip

Maybe it's my upbringing in TIE Fighter, but "Starfighters" refers to any one or two man craft. "Craft" is any space vehicle.

Because they specified TIE Fighters as a number could we presume it was some other starfighter type? I-7 Howlrunners maybe?

From chapter 16 (ebooks are the best):

"Control here. I have thirty-six, repeat, three-six TIEs launched. Six interceptors, six bombers, and twenty-four, repeat, two-four starfighters. Eridain beginning evasive maneuvers. Wait. Confirm, bombers are heading to ground."

Battalia's answer was correct.