Sign in to follow this  
MacrossVF1

Experiement: How to repaint a Y-wing

Very good re-paint. It seemed from your blog that you were hoping for a more dirty look, why don't you try one of games workshops black or brown "washes" or a similar ink product and give it a very gentle once over? If you work it into the cracks and recesses it may achieve the look you were going for.

Very good re-paint. It seemed from your blog that you were hoping for a more dirty look, why don't you try one of games workshops black or brown "washes" or a similar ink product and give it a very gentle once over? If you work it into the cracks and recesses it may achieve the look you were going for.

nuln oil comes to mind. =)

If a dirty look is what you're after, then brown wash is the way to go in my opinion.  Also, possibly, a little drybrushing with something like Citadel's Tin Bitz in a couple of spots for a rust look.  I think it looks great.  I'm looking forward to doing some repaint's myself, after I get all of the unpainted mini's I have done (so that's going to take a while)

oddeye called it.  nuln oil is an excellent choice.

Edited by Audio Weasel

I've already used washes like those to give the model shade, any more and it would probably look odd. Though it just might be my preferences for painting that is the problem. I'm far more used to painting bigger things like 40k models.

It looks suitably dirty on the non panel bits, i.e. the cockpit and engine domes.  Looks just right to me.  If you are going to dirty it up with nuln oil (watered down) I'd suggest only doing the current "clean" areas.

I like it as is.  It looks like it is a freshly maintained fighter that was newly assigned to Gold Squadron, but still has the vintage look like it's seen many battles.  

I guess refurbished is a good word.  

Edited by cody campbell

Very well painted, nice and clean but nowhere near factory fresh!

What this model needs is a bit more contrast. As it is you've put all the lighter area's near the front of the model, while the darker colours dominate the back whith nothing to draw the vieuwers eye. Slap some white on those engine rods and/or rings and it will be absolutely wonderfull!

Edited by Joostuh

Well it seems you guys are more positive than I am, though the creator of something is often the person to be most critical of it. I do agree with you Joostuh that some more color on the back end could be needed and my original idea was to have engine glow but I ran into a problem. From what I can gather, the exact point where the engine exhaust comes from is not quite as established as I would have liked. Some pictures show it quite far back, some almost in the middle and others almost at the root of the engine. Problematic to say the least.

what they said, it's very nice and clean. Looks like it just rolled off the assembly line.... 

If your not happy with it i could swap one of my ones so you could try again  :P

Edited by Muz

Rookie pilot here, trying to show off my repainted Y-wing. Not quite happy with the end result but let's hear what you think.

More pics can be found on my blog.

I think you've done an awesome job. The only extra thing I would've done is a bit of gloss varnish over the cockpit glazing. Which bit aren't you happy with?

Muz: Thanks for your generous offer but I think I can survive :P

Oneway: That is the actual astromech unit. While the factory paintjob is good for a prepaint it does obscure and hide some details. I myself was astonished to find an ion cannon turret on the roof of the cockpit after I stripped the paint. Of course, it was there before but it just never popped out due to the paintjob.

It is not bad at all. I have to kind of agree with you on it needing more wear, especially in the front sections the paint is too "new" looking compared to the rest of the "old" looking parts in the rear. Maybe some kind of "oil" streaks coming from panel edges or the nose will help the look a bit. Similar to the original models with the engine stains they do but not as dark. Also use it sparingly, too much and it will look a mess.

Personally I would happy to field that on the tabletop. We are our own worst critics.