Sign in to follow this  
oriondean

thinking about F&D beta.

I need to try out your character generator sometime. How fast is it? I'm thinking about running a one shot for some people who haven't played Edge before. I'm using premades right now, but if it's fast enough I might do character generation with it instead.

I need to try out your character generator sometime. How fast is it? I'm thinking about running a one shot for some people who haven't played Edge before. I'm using premades right now, but if it's fast enough I might do character generation with it instead.

Doesn't appear slow to me. And it's very much faster than flipping through the books or adding things up either way. Seriously - it's amazing software. If you haven't tried it, you're missing out. As far as I'm concerned it is THE way to make characters.

Doesn't appear slow to me. And it's very much faster than flipping through the books or adding things up either way. Seriously - it's amazing software. If you haven't tried it, you're missing out. As far as I'm concerned it is THE way to make characters.

I still prefer good old hand-building characters, but for me it's the way to generate NPCs. Accept no substitutes.

Edited by CaptainRaspberry

I find that the best way to make characters is either using the character generator after entering the descriptions for all of the talents and such by hand (lengthy process), or using the generator as is with the talent sheet PDFs that have been uploaded in a few places open for quick and easy reference to material from several books, unless you've memorized what all the talents do.

As others have said, it can be a little slow to launch, but once it's open, it runs smoothly.

Ghostofman PM:d me the answer, and I take the liberty of re-posting what he said here for you Yeti.

An inquisitor is a nemesis, they give you a set of numbers that can be applied to ability scores, combat skills, and a skill, talent, and weapon list to choose from. They auto start with a high HT too.

End result is a very flexible system to create an inquisitor that fits your needs, but it lightsaber swinging force user, gun-slinging commando, or a tactical genius field commander type.

In the clone wars dark side game I've been running I even used the rules to !make an arc trooper.

Ghostofman PM:d me the answer, and I take the liberty of re-posting what he said here for you Yeti.

An inquisitor is a nemesis, they give you a set of numbers that can be applied to ability scores, combat skills, and a skill, talent, and weapon list to choose from. They auto start with a high HT too.

End result is a very flexible system to create an inquisitor that fits your needs, but it lightsaber swinging force user, gun-slinging commando, or a tactical genius field commander type.

In the clone wars dark side game I've been running I even used the rules to !make an arc trooper.

Yeah. That's the jist of it. It's about 2 pages of step-by-step selection of various option. They look pretty quick and simple to work through.

Cool. Thanks!

Looks like I'll be getting my copy of the book from my friend who was at GenCon tomorrow morning! Not sure how I'm going to manage going to work after that...

...or using the generator as is with the talent sheet PDFs that have been uploaded in a few places open for quick and easy reference to material from several books, unless you've memorized what all the talents do.

This is what I do, people can then check off the Talents on their sheet as they buy them, while I keep it updated in the software.

It really is a great piece of software.  I've pondered creating an iPad version, but...I imagine it's a good year of regular-evening work to replicate everything the Windows version does.

According to this video, the webpage for the Force and Destiny beta will be going live sometime "next week," followed by the process of getting the books into the hands of those that did not attend GenCon.

Edit: We'll likely see the beta forums for Force and Destiny go live within a week.

Edited by Yoshiyahu

Out of curiosity, for those of you at GenCon... how many people have you noticed using my character generator?  This is the first GenCon where it's been available.  Just wondering how ubiquitous it's use is, if at all.

Wow. I didn't know this existed. I love it! Very well done. It seems you update it quite frequently (which must not be easy). Will you be updating it with the new Force and Destiny Beta material? 

...or using the generator as is with the talent sheet PDFs that have been uploaded in a few places open for quick and easy reference to material from several books, unless you've memorized what all the talents do.

This is what I do, people can then check off the Talents on their sheet as they buy them, while I keep it updated in the software.

It really is a great piece of software.  I've pondered creating an iPad version, but...I imagine it's a good year of regular-evening work to replicate everything the Windows version does.

What I'd love is for someone to work up a file with all of the descriptions that could be loaded with the character generator so this isn't necessary.

Out of curiosity, for those of you at GenCon... how many people have you noticed using my character generator?  This is the first GenCon where it's been available.  Just wondering how ubiquitous it's use is, if at all.

Wow. I didn't know this existed. I love it! Very well done. It seems you update it quite frequently (which must not be easy). Will you be updating it with the new Force and Destiny Beta material? 

He not only updates frequently, but also engages in constant communication on the thread about the generator. Ogg has been discussing his ongoing efforts to get all of the F&D stuff into an update soonish.

What is your opinion on a player that wants to have a Holocon that was from an ancestor of theres that was a Jedi Master from another version of the Starwars RPG the D20 version. I thought that having a Holocron to use that could train then to be a Sentinal or a Warrior was a bit crazy. I also thought that Holocron's would have been made by either the Mystic, Counsular, or the Scholar, or Historian. Was it ever stated that all Jedi masters are taught how to make a Jedi Holocron? I am very curious to see what some replied would be on this matter.

I have the Force & Destiny Beta it is pretty good, but leaves me with some questions.

Thanks for your replies.

What are the rules for building Inquisitors?

It's a series of fixed choices, you get a set # of attribute scores and can assign them as you see fit.  A series of skill ranks or some pregen arch-types to select from.  The bottom line is the intention on FFGs part that GMs scale up Nemeses to meet their player groups skill set and challenge them.

Does anyone know the timetable on FFG selling it on their website?

The video talked about launching the announcement/forum etc next week, so I wouldn't think they have any reason to wait to start selling them.

Markus Dornonn, human male Guardian/Protector/Soresu Defender dressed up like a Fallen Jedi from the looks of that video!

Tacamoris, Cerean Male Sentinel/Artisan looks like he at least can repair the ship if they have one!

Dero, Sullustan Ace

There's a character based on Plo Koon species no name as far as I can see...

Anybody else know anything more about the pre generated characters?

What’s up with the “reflect” talent? Before the release of the book, I could swear they would make a talent that would provide a lightsaber with the deflective item quality (which makes it act like some sort of shield). The whole thing about suffering strain to reduce damage sounds weird to me, as no Jedi with a lightsaber actually gets hit when deflecting a blaster bolt (no collateral damage).

Additionally, there is at least one lightsaber modification that adds the deflective item quality to it (Lorrdian gemstones), so now we have two different mechanics to represent blaster bolt deflection… Not nice!

What do you guys think about that?

Edited by Gustavo Amaral

The system isn't really built on making attacks miss but instead on doing small amounts of damage that adds up to drop a target (unless you get a critical hit). Basically, its a hit point system, and hits that don't drop you can be narrated as a near miss if you prefer (only the one that takes you out or scores a critical hit really matters).