Sign in to follow this  
oriondean

thinking about F&D beta.

There's a misunderstanding here. I'm not "rolling out an argument" that other people should or shouldn't have this. I'm just (initially) expressing my great surprise at a completely unexpected addition to Jedi powers. I guess I then went onto justifying that based on posts that (at least to me) seemed to be suggesting it's normal or known. They don't show up in any of the canon material beyond a line by Palpatine claiming that someone not even in the movie could prevent people from dying when he has every reason to lie to Anakin and is in the habit of doing so. So sure, there's nothing to say they can't. And I'm certainly not saying that people shouldn't play with what they want. I'm just saying my reaction to Obi Wan the Level 8 Cleric is fairly reasonable and that something's existence in non-canon sources isn't a particular reason to include something. I'm not saying it's wrong. I'm just saying a reaction of "What the...?" is pretty fair. ;)

Anyway, this is polluting a thread on what I think is an awesome product from whatever I heard, so I think perhaps get back to everyone going "Oooooh" and barraging the poor play-testers with questions. ;)

Force Healing is a standard interpretation of the Ep IV scene where Ben's leaned over Luke.

Okay, I suggested dropping this as it's a potentially divisive tangent, but as you've re-opened it, I'm just going to say that the scene shows Luke lying without visible injury, unconscious after being knocked out by a sandperson. Obi Wan shows up, feels his wrist and his forehead and says "don't worry - he'll be fine". People get knocked out all the time in action movies. It's fine to argue that Obi Wan could have healed him. There's nothing in that scene I see that even suggests it, however.

As for resurrection... Palpatine has little reason to Lie to Anakin... especially when the Truth does just as well.

Palpatine has every reason to tell Anakin that he can hold back death - Anakin is terrified about the future he has foreseen for Padme and desperate to find a way to save her. Palpatine wants to find a way to turn Anakin on the Jedi and a statement that there is a way to save her but the Jedi wont teach him it / believe it is wrong, is an effective tool to do that. There's a very great reason to make such a statement. Whether that is also a reason to lie depends entirely on whether or not it is true and that we do not know.

Your argument that he has no reason to do so because the "truth does just as well" is an argument that presupposes you're correct - a tautology. You're saying Palpatine is telling the truth because he has no reason to lie and he has no reason to lie because what he's telling is the truth. Awful logic.

By all means play how you wish and dislike or like what you wish, but please don't try to correct me with such terrible reasoning!

Edited by knasserII

How does a consular, guardian, sentinel obtain the ranks of knight or even master I remember in the EotE beta there was a chart that indicated Force Rating as a power gauge now is the rank system just storyteller fluff how would one go about the rank system ?

I don't get the reference to Shadow Over Mordor either

Wouldn't it be more fun pretending to be a dude who has fused with the force ghost of an ancient Sith Lord who uses the powerz thereby imbude to cut a bloody path of revenge up the command structure of the Empire spreading terror before him than some loser who doesn't even have a real sword?

Edited by Sylpheed

I've read this post twice and I still can't see it as anything other than just an aggressive patronising. Am I missing something here? 

No, you're not missing anything. Erik is the resident forum troll; I hate using that word, but it's what he is. 

He doesn't play RPGs (I've offered to send him my spare copies), he just plays overpowered shooter video-games, and instead of engaging the forum, he just posts Youtube videos of whatever he's currently fanboying over at the moment. Or random pictures that have nothing to do with the thread.

He's essentially just sore that F&D PC's don't start play with 3000 XP.

Quite why he's even here, I have no idea. This is a forum about a game he doesn't play. I can only assume he's been kicked off every other SW forum in existence.  

Wouldn't it be more fun pretending to be a dude who has fused with the force ghost of an ancient Sith Lord who uses the powerz thereby imbude to cut a bloody path of revenge up the command structure of the Empire spreading terror before him than some loser who doesn't even have a real sword?

That sound you hear is Professor Tolkien spinning in his grave.

(I mean, I'm all for changing the canon when needs be, but 'Shadows Over Mordor' feels like some particularly dreadful overpowered JRPG with a Middle-Earth skin. You want Tolkien reinterpreted as a horror game, but with the core feel and themes kept intact, try 'One Ring'...) 

Edited by Maelora

How does a consular, guardian, sentinel obtain the ranks of knight or even master I remember in the EotE beta there was a chart that indicated Force Rating as a power gauge now is the rank system just storyteller fluff how would one go about the rank system ?

Pure fluff. That chart was drowned in the Beta and has never been seen again. There doesn't seem any cap on Force Dice now, beyond what XP could bring. 

The Consular, Guardian and Sentinel careers aren't even Jedi now, by F&D raw, just techniques taught by Jedi in older times. 

Besides, being a leader in any organisation isn't usually down to raw power, it's down to other factors like leadership, luck, favouritism, popularity, etc. Our version of Yoda isn't tough or kickass, just wise and insightful.  

Edited by Maelora

I appreciate that RPGs are lower priorities compared with card games, but Force and Destiny is still not up on the site as being announced after three days of Gencon. There's no product page, no forum and more generally there are no mentions of further Star Wars RPG products to come in 2014/15. Was anyone at the In-Flight Report? Anything mentioned there?

And then there's the Ennies. Do FFG not enter them?

My guess is they're waiting until they've got the book ready to sell directly from the webstore. There were a lot of frustrated people on the AoR boards last year who had no way to buy the book until late-September, if I remember correctly.

A forum full of belly-achin' doesn't look very good. :P

Cool beans thank you

Pure fluff. That chart was drowned in the Beta and has never been seen again. There doesn't seem any cap on Force Dice now, beyond what XP could bring. 

The Consular, Guardian and Sentinel careers aren't even Jedi now, by F&D raw, just techniques taught by Jedi in older times. 

Besides, being a leader in any organisation isn't usually down to raw power, it's down to other factors like leadership, luck, favouritism, popularity, etc. Our version of Yoda isn't tough or kickass, just wise and insightful.

Dungeons and Dragons Basic has a lot to answer for. Hit tenth level of killing things, receive your castle. ;)

Hollywood action movies share the blame too. Finally confront the big villain, have a big fight... It reminds of that "Kung Fury" trailer where the big enemy martial artist is Hitler because, well, if he's the huge bad guy then he must also be a physically unstoppable force. :D

At least the OT wasn't steeped in this tradition which was still developing at the time. Vader isn't in charge in Ep. IV. Tarkin is.

The Forsaken Jedi and the Jedi - in - hiding what type of modification their lightsabers have that give the damage of 10 and the forsaken Jedi defense? Are we to discard the lightsaber statistics in AoR and EotE?

The hilt is 300CR + Ilum crystal for 9k + full Ilum crystal mods for another 700CR = 10k for a lightsaber:Base Modifiers: Installing this crystal changes a lightsaber's base damage to 6 and critical rating to 2, and the lightsaber gains the Breach 1 and Sunder weapon qualities. If the crystal is ever removed, the lightsaber loses these qualities, and reverts to its previous base damage and critical rating.Modification Options: 2 Item Quality (Vicious +1) Mods, 4 Damage +1 Mods, 1 Decrease the weapon's critical rating by one to a minimum of 1 Mod.

-EF

Wait. I think the credit math is wrong. Isn't it 300CR+9k+2800 for full mods? Each additional mod installed in an attachment beyond the first increases the difficulty of the Mechanics check by one, and costs an additional 100 credits beyond the base cost.

So that is 100+200+300+400+500+600+700=2800 (So total 12100CR)

So an EotE or AoR Lightsaber would be a better buy?

And is that a 9 Difficulty check or four 5 Difficulty Impossible (destiny point) checks?

I read it as each additional mod costs the same 100CR, but increases the difficulty by 1. The "beyond base cost" I read as "in addition to the price of the attachment." Besides, the math for the cost works out to what we see in EotE/AoR for lightsaber costs.

As for the difficulty, it caps at Formidable (PPPPP), so that's the difficulty cap. If it was meant to be a 9 dice difficulty, I think they would have said "add an additional difficulty die" or something to that effect.

-EF

I appreciate that RPGs are lower priorities compared with card games, but Force and Destiny is still not up on the site as being announced after three days of Gencon. There's no product page, no forum and more generally there are no mentions of further Star Wars RPG products to come in 2014/15. 

They must be saving the best for last.

And here I've worn through two *snap* ...make that three F5 keys in the last four days...

Wait. I think the credit math is wrong. Isn't it 300CR+9k+2800 for full mods? Each additional mod installed in an attachment beyond the first increases the difficulty of the Mechanics check by one, and costs an additional 100 credits beyond the base cost.

So that is 100+200+300+400+500+600+700=2800 (So total 12100CR)

So an EotE or AoR Lightsaber would be a better buy?

And is that a 9 Difficulty check or four 5 Difficulty Impossible (destiny point) checks?

I read it as each additional mod costs the same 100CR, but increases the difficulty by 1. The "beyond base cost" I read as "in addition to the price of the attachment." Besides, the math for the cost works out to what we see in EotE/AoR for lightsaber costs.

As for the difficulty, it caps at Formidable (PPPPP), so that's the difficulty cap. If it was meant to be a 9 dice difficulty, I think they would have said "add an additional difficulty die" or something to that effect.

-EF

Oh, well I've been doing it wrong all along then. Are you sure on the difficulty cap? I didn't know there was a cap (and you still would have "impossible" as one more difficulty step). What about Tractor 6? By them saying increase the difficulty by one I feel they we're remiss not to say "step" or "die" after that.

After some issues with getting the EotE CRB and AoR Beta out, FFG may be playing things close to the vest this time around. As to a new forum, considering that much of their resources are probably invested in GenCon, they may be waiting till afterward to actually roll it out as people will have the Beta in hand.

Oh, well I've been doing it wrong all along then. Are you sure on the difficulty cap? I didn't know there was a cap (and you still would have "impossible" as one more difficulty step). What about Tractor 6? By them saying increase the difficulty by one I feel they we're remiss not to say "step" or "die" after that.

I am 100% sure that I have no idea about the difficulty cap. Rereading the tractor quality and checking on the difficulty table of F&D18, it seems that "Difficulty 1" is Simple (-), and Difficulty 6 is Formidable (difficulty-die-icon.pngdifficulty-die-icon.pngdifficulty-die-icon.pngdifficulty-die-icon.pngdifficulty-die-icon.png). Than again, the "difficulty equal to the tractor beam's rating" may mean "difficulty dice equal to the tractor beam's rating."

Who the heck knows. Looks like something to ask the devs if one has a chance.

-EF

I've read this post twice and I still can't see it as anything other than just an aggressive patronising. Am I missing something here?

Dang, we went almost a full page with nobody feeding the troll :)

My bad. I'm new-ish here. Still learning what every poster brings to the forums. (I have you down as "spirited debate", btw. Col. Orange as "esoteric humour" and PrettyHaley as "boundless enthusiasm". And I suppose 2P51 as "Information if you pummel them with enough questions." ;)).

Edited by knasserII

When I gamed with Katrina Ostrander (Look her Up) Thursday, I asked her about the F&D beta forums and she gave me the impression they would be up soon. I wouldn't expect them up no earlier than Monday.

I have a group that is currently playing by the book starting characters but my group in eevery game we have two sets of characters one is their starting characters and then we have a second game of veteran characters we have always done this since 1st edition d&d but idk how much exp to give for making veteran characters for an advanced game how much exp would you guys hand out if the group wanted to do an advance game?

Yeah, just ignore the troll.

FYI doesn't moderate their forums very well, to their detriment

There is no law against being annoying. He hasn't come out an actually insulted anyone directly or crossed any lines this time around. He did have one avatar erased because of things he said. Personally I think he enjoys annoying people and getting attention for it. As has been stated before, if you don't want to deal with or see his posts, put him on ignore. I find him entertaining and consider him the jester of the forums.

I have a group that is currently playing by the book starting characters but my group in eevery game we have two sets of characters one is their starting characters and then we have a second game of veteran characters we have always done this since 1st edition d&d but idk how much exp to give for making veteran characters for an advanced game how much exp would you guys hand out if the group wanted to do an advance game?

The beta rules for Force and Destiny suggest giving out an extra 150 XP (after character creation) for "Knight Level" play.

Out of curiosity, for those of you at GenCon... how many people have you noticed using my character generator?  This is the first GenCon where it's been available.  Just wondering how ubiquitous it's use is, if at all.