Sign in to follow this  
GrumpyMuffin

What's up with Ebay?

So, I check eBay once or twice a week, looking for X-wing stuff and if something peaks my interest I will usually make a purchase - for the right price. While I was looking today, I couldn't help but notice the absolutely ridiculous prices that some of the items are going for. $150.00 for 10 "official" focus tokens? 250.00 for 6 translucent dice? And people are actually buying this stuff at those prices.! IMO the aftermarket material available (such as cog o'two and AP) are just as good if not better. Does anyone else understand the mentality behind paying insane amounts of money for these items? I can understand and appreciate rarity but seriously...

I agree, but that's a ton of disposable income to use to supposedly boost your "X-wing self-confidence" or put on a certain "X-wing persona." I have a great job and make good money (and didn't think twice about buying the transport or Corvette) but wouldn't ever consider spending several hundred dollars for any "official" or "promotional" X-wing items - especially focus/evade or shield tokens.

Edited by GrumpyMuffin

When this is done, I ALWAYS call the seller on thier BS. Things that are "rare" or "limited" and have the price jacked up just because its labeled as such illicit ire in a big way. Amazon has a reporting process if you think an item is priced in a crazy way. The best thing is to know what you are buying, and know what a good price is or isnt. If its a prize from an event that is being sold or swag from a con, just know your upper limit and stick to it. But call out the obvious price gouger at every turn. Be an informed consumer.

Meh. It's supply and demand. Limited supply and high demand can equal profitable dividends for the seller. When talking about limited edition items it can get even more crazy. The thing is an item's value is only worth what a buyer will give. And usually it's a matter of personal basis. I agree with the stick to your highest price method. 

- Lord Cedric

I try not to think such petty thoughts about people, though I know it exsists. I don't think it has anything to do with pretending to have been anywhere or done anything. Some people are just passionate about the hobby that they chose and have the money to spend. By the way, I saw a set of those translucent dice go for over $350! I don't have that kind of money to spend but if I did I would certainly love to have a set of those rare dice. Because I love this game and they look very cool.

Edited by Goregrimm

Why do you care? If someone wants some nice looking solid tokens that last a long time and are from Fantasy Flight let them have what they want. Honestly I think it's silly to criticize someone for what they do with their money. You are telling me that every purchase you have ever made was totally sensible (here is looking at you 15inch Godzilla plush doll on my desk right now)? If you have a lot of disposable income then all the power to you.  As for the argument that people are trying to look like they did something they didn't get over it. No they are not running around going "I have the dice so I obviously got top 8" just does not hold water. They look cool and are rare hence why they sell for that much. Not only that but everyone blaming the seller needs to think about the time and energy it goes into acquiring said tokens and dice. I know it was a hard fought battle to get my set and I ended up only getting them by the grace of the TO as I was in 9th place at a Regional Qualifier and the judge just happened to be giving his set to ninth (I love Omaha!). I won't be selling mine but I sure am thinking about picking up a second set off of Ebay. If you think the price is to high by all means don't by it but to sass those that are willing to spend that kind of money is just rude and these threads need to stop.

Meh. An item's value is whatever someone will pay for it. In a free market economy you cannot force somebody to sell something for a "reasonable" price. One of the LGS in my town has the xwing starter set priced at $50 even though the other two stores sell it for the $40 MSRP while I can buy it from the other side of the country for $30. I find $40 over priced for the product. I feel $10 over MSRP in a retail store is insulting but I can't make him sell it for $40. I can just laugh at the price and walk out of the store shaking my head and give my money to a different retailer.

I told my kid 2 weeks ago, when he accidentaly broke my acrylic range ruler : "****, you just broke a 50$ rule !" :o

But it was a false statement, Ebay is just a mirror for foolish people who wants to bid and throw their money out of their home.

I just have to teach my son how not to loose the translucent dices we will have one day :lol:

Beware those are fake buyers.  The seller will login as another person and put in a crazy high bid.  They are hoping for a sucker to come in and out bid it.   If no one bid on it, they just will try again.  I would stay away from those items.

I came top 4 in my regionals On Sunday and the first thing I did when I got home on Sunday night was list everything on eBay, if there is a market value for these products then I will take advantage of it. I dont think anything differently of the people that buy these things if they can afford it then good luck to them. personally I couldn't afford to not take advantage of it and have already replaced them with a cog o two order.

As a quick response to jpltanis there won't be any phantom bids on my auctions and with regards to other auctions its so easy to spot phantom bidding when it's happening just don't get involved. They'll end up being reported and having the items took down.

I sold mine on Ebay, and got a lot of money for them.  Sorry for those of you who think I am a jerk, but I didn't have a lot of need for a Regionals template set when I have a Worlds top 16 set.  My wife and daughter also play, so no matter how pretty they are 3 attack and 3 defense dice don't go anywhere near as far as simply buying a ton more ships so we can all play.  If you think your X-Wing habit is expensive, trying supporting 3.   :)

I don't straw buy, I don't bid on my own stuff.  I also don't set the price, I use the auction.  Somewhere, there is a guy (several) who didn't have the time or opportunity to get this stuff on his own, but he had the money and wanted to get the stuff.  I on the other hand, have 4 kids.  My wife and oldest daughter also cosplay in addition to all the games.  Selling my stuff on ebay is allowing my wife and daughter to attend the Animineapolis convention this weekend, and will also allow us to attend Gencon as a family and Worlds this fall.

If you don't think it's worth it, don't buy it.  Simple.  But quit pointing fingers at me and others who sell their things, or the people who buy them.  I have a very good reason (several, whom I love very much) to sell some of my swag.  I am afraid making my wife and daughter happy is far more important to me than 6 translucent dice, and the opinion of judgemental people on teh interwebz is not going to change my mind.  And if my circumstances were different, if for example I was still single and PCSing every 3 months, I would be very happy to spend some of my money in order to buy some of this stuff.  So I appreciate the opportunity to play X-Wing as a family, and the guys buying my stuff appreciate the chance to get swag they couldn't have otherwise.  You, and threads like these, I don't appreciate as much.

Honestly, I don't get mad or even upset by the sellers.. you are providing the item to the free market.. I just wonder about the buyers.. personally I would never pay 350 for dice.. there are none I need so badly.. lol.. and I have a dice fetish from years of roll playing games...

I just dont understand where they think these things are worth so much.. but to the buyers.. good luck, you have gotten in on the ground floor and made the big bucks... in a few weeks things will settle down and maybe things will sell for more reasonable prices... I won't be buying them... but I do have some custom repaints of Wings of Glory planes to be posting sometime.. lol.. maybe I can help my x wing purchases with those.. lol

Edited by oneway

Sorry for those of you who think I am a jerk...

I think people buying these things have more money then sense... But I don't blame the seller at all. I'm a capitalist, and if I had a set I'd sell them too.

I think you'd be a bit daft if you didn't take advantage of the situation.

How many people have more than 18 models in their fleet?  No need for hands, I'm willing to bet it's most of us.

If you have 18 ships, you have $150 worth of purchase that's sitting idle every game.  We all pay a rather stupid amount of money to play this game.  Whether it's that third and fourth Y-wing for the one time you thought it might be fun to run the 4Y list, or a second Advanced because you didn't listen to everyone saying Vader was the only good one, or a third Shuttle just to get Advanced Sensors...  You've spent money in the game that you're not getting use out of.

If someone pays $150 for evade tokens that they use every game, they're getting more use out of those tokens than you are out of all those idle ships.

Given that we all play games that a great portion of "normal" people think are a waste of money from top to bottom, I'd think gamers would be a little more forgiving of different value perceptions.  Even in gaming circles, how many of us have never justified the $15 per model cost for X-wing to someone who thought it was too expensive?  Does nobody remember even the arguments within the community over whether paying $60 for the Transport or $90 for the Corvette was stupid?  Given that every one of us here has undoubtedly faced someone who thought the way we spend our money is idiotic, it's sad that some don't seem to have learned from that.

Everyone has a different sense of value for everything they do.  If someone buys something that doesn't conform to your sense of value, you just don't buy it.  You don't go rampaging about how stupid the buyers are, or worse, make up baseless insults about people spending money to fake being a winner.  That doesn't change dependent on how far outside your personal value sense it is.