Sign in to follow this  
TheLoneDeranger

Biggs & Shield Projector

How does this work? Let us say I use a transport with a shield projector to force my opponent to attack the transport but biggs is within range 1 of the transport and is also in the enemy ships firing arc. In the end does the opponent attack biggs or the transport?

It depends on who the target ship is.

Biggs wording has been clarified to work on any small and large ships only. He won't pull shots away from the Huge ships if that is the target of the attack.

Epic Rules, Page 3, (Support page http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/x-wing/support/X-Wing-Epic-Tournament-Rules.pdf)

Biggs Darklighter’s card text should read “Other friendly small and large ships at Range 1 cannot be targeted by attacks if the attacker could target you instead.”

If the target is a small/large ship, but that ship is in range 1 of Biggs and in arc, then Biggs is the target, unless Shield projector is used by a huge ship. Shield projector will cause the active enemy ship to target the huge ship for every 3 energy spent. Afterwards, Biggs ability will remain and reassert itself.

To clarify, S.P. overrides Biggs for each 3 energy spent, afterwards Biggs ability reasserts for the remaining targets, unless it is a huge ship which can be fired upon as normal.

Edited by Sergovan

Sergovan, what you say is correct that the Epic Tournament Rules clarify what Bbiggs can affect, however, just before the section you quote it clearly states:

"This section describes official restrictions and changes to card text in Epic
X-Wing tournaments:"

So outside of a tournament it has not officially been clarified.  Same way that it's only in tournaments that Gunner, Luke and Navigator can't be put on Huge Ships, presumably therefore outside of a tournament they can be.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying the ruling applies to tournaments only, the situation outside tournaments is not clearly defined.

Thanks for the explaination sergovan. It makes sense to me to just to use the tournament rules in a casual game so t hat there's no confusion with these kind of things, and as pbpancho mentioned it keeps the game balanced.

What about if you have two transports with shield projector and you activate both at the same time? It's a rather silly senario, but I'm still curious :)

The two effects do not resolve simultaneously. They resolve one after the other. You can choose which goes first and which second. The one you choose to resolve last wins.

You can only use Huge ships in Epic play, unless you are turning them into obstacles. There are no "normal" rules in the rulebook that cover huge ships. New rules for huge ships are in their own rules inserts and the epic play rules PDF. If you don't use the epic play rules then you have no rules basics to use for issues that may aries in your game.

Remember, you can always house rule things as you see fit for a casual game. The Epic play rules seem to cover existing huge/small ship interaction problems so I would use them and modify as you like. 

You can only use Huge ships in Epic play, unless you are turning them into obstacles.

True, but not all Epic play has to be in tournaments does it?  I'd say go with the tournament ruling for all situations but it'd be nice if FFG clarified it.

You can only use Huge ships in Epic play, unless you are turning them into obstacles. There are no "normal" rules in the rulebook that cover huge ships. New rules for huge ships are in their own rules inserts and the epic play rules PDF. If you don't use the epic play rules then you have no rules basics to use for issues that may aries in your game.

Remember, you can always house rule things as you see fit for a casual game. The Epic play rules seem to cover existing huge/small ship interaction problems so I would use them and modify as you like. 

Normal huge ships rules are covered in the X-Wing FAQ. But the errata on Biggs does not appear on his entry in the normal FAQ. The rules lawyer in me wants to that the existing text states the Epic Tournament rules only apply in tournaments, and because the Biggs errata doesn't appear in the general FAQ, it is not meant to apply across the board to all play. But I could be persuaded that this is just an oversight, or there is some official guidance on the use of Epic Tournament rules outside of tournament play that has been overlooked. 

Epic Tournament and Team Epic Tournament are two formats you can play that uses Huge Ships, But they can also be used in Cinematic Format, which loosely translates to Missions in the boxes, and any casual game where you decide to use them.

You are of cause free to apply the clarifications from the two tournament formats to other games, but the are not mandatory.

This also means that  Huge ships don't start with any energy unless you agreed to play be tournament format.

And currently only Navigator can not be put on a Huge ship. Gunner/Luke are valid upgrades for Huge Ships.

Epic Tournament and Team Epic Tournament are two formats you can play that uses Huge Ships, But they can also be used in Cinematic Format, which loosely translates to Missions in the boxes, and any casual game where you decide to use them.

You are of cause free to apply the clarifications from the two tournament formats to other games, but the are not mandatory.

This also means that  Huge ships don't start with any energy unless you agreed to play be tournament format.

And currently only Navigator can not be put on a Huge ship. Gunner/Luke are valid upgrades for Huge Ships.

Ah - good to note, thanks! Yeah, we usually start our huge ships with no energy. So it would seem we can choose one rule set and just play by it consistently for casual / mission play. 

Ah - good to note, thanks! Yeah, we usually start our huge ships with no energy. So it would seem we can choose one rule set and just play by it consistently for casual / mission play. 

When did that change? Gunner/Luke were outlawed when Huge first came out...