Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MyNeighbourTrololo

An Esgaroth Advanture Pack

81 posts in this topic

I'm 4 events short of finishing. I'll get things done and then will try it out. Nothing is set in stone, things could easily change dramatically.

I'm 4 events short of finishing. I'll get things done and then will try it out. Nothing is set in stone, things could easily change dramatically.

I haven't been able to keep up with all your card releases (but I feel there's a massive trend towards them becoming more overpowered and less balanced). At this point I will wait for you to finish and then evaluate the set as a whole.

I know you will need to change Survivor of Smaug a lot. a 0 cost 1 willpower ally would be played without any other rules in the tactics sphere. A 2 cost +3 wlllpower (and then +1 willpower a turn ally) is just even better.  A 2 cost chump defender that can also give +1/2 attack to help you counter the enemy you chump defended is also stupidly good - combining these effects into a single card with no opportunity cost for the flexibility is ridiculous. She also gives you an incredibly cheap way to power many of your exhaust esgaroth cards.

She's ridiculously good currently. 

People of Esgaroth is a nice idea for a card, but did you intend for it to become silvan or dwarf? (your envoy cards would mean that it could). I think he should have willpower 1, on the other hand 0 hitpoints without another ally in play is kind of bad. So i would want to test this more, I feel he's a bit too good with the ability to defend without exhausting. 

joezim007 likes this

Survivor of Smaug cannot attack or defend, can she?

Yes, I did. They will get whatever trait the townsfolk currently have. Not that it will help them much though, but still nice.

Ability to defend without exhausting comes in a pair with 0 base hit points and 0 base defense. Mind that damage sticks, and if they get damaged and some other ally you control leaves play - People of Esgaroth might just die from the maximum health reduction. You'll need to work really hard to utilize them as defenders, and that's kinda the point.

In any case, refer to any cards posted here as a rough concepts.

Edited by MyNeighbourTrololo

I think I just came up with something more interesting than a boring stat boost for Watch Captain. Cool.

I think, global native stat boost on somebody(Dain, Boromir) hurts game's balance, because all cards that come are influenced by this boost's very existance and therefor are purposely weakened and hardly usable without the said boost in play. 

Edited by MyNeighbourTrololo

Took me a little bit to understand Night Road Watch. At first he just seemed like all downside, but then I realized that he allows you to see shadow cards before they are normally revealed, which can combo nicely with other cards and at the very least gives you knowledge of something that would otherwise be unknown. I liked him a lot more now, and even with the -1 stats, he's still decently versatile with 1wp, 1atk, and 3hp.

I like him now, but Lore has enough 3-cost allies.

The point of Night Road Watch is that you may risk with some of his stats by exposing a shadow card. 

The theme, you know. He is a night watch. Night is a time when there is a lot of shadow. And if he exposed to an actual, living shadow, he is temporarily weakened. 

Spelling mistake on people of Esgaroth.

Another cool set of cards. The people and lake guide are my favourites here, and the night watch is cool. Knowledge is power.

The point of Night Road Watch is that you may risk with some of his stats by exposing a shadow card. 

The theme, you know. He is a night watch. Night is a time when there is a lot of shadow. And if he exposed to an actual, living shadow, he is temporarily weakened. 

Yea, of this latest bunch of cards I like his mechanic and his theme the best.

I've done some testing. As a result, some cards got tweaked, some got reworked, and some even scrapped and replaced. I've assembled an OCTGN set with all the fixes and I would be greatful if anybody gives it a spin and provides me with their thoughts on it. Thanks.

P.S.: I've updated the original post with link for the OCTGN Set and link to the image gallery.

ZanzibarLand likes this

Very nice. You should put the word "instead" at the end so that people know for sure that the enemy doesn't get this card AND the normal shadow card. Also, for this card, who does the word "your" pertain to? Doesn't "you" or "your" point to the controller of a card? Maybe it should be reworded to "... into play under the control of the defending player".

When resolving a shadow card, the defending player is the one referred as "you", as far as I know.

You're right. I couldn't remember any saying "you", only "defending character/player". I looked it up, though, and found Driven by Shadow, which says "If this attack is undefended, discard all attachments you control."

Edited by joezim007

Not that I have had much use for defining it before but I guess the removal of characters when they have 0 HP is also a passive ability; the question then is if the passive ability, that is an underlying effect throughout the game, trumps the activation of a new passive ability introduced or if the first player can decide that the +1HP/esgaroth triggers before the in-built "kill-switch".

Edited by Nerdmeister

I have to say I'm very impressed by these Trololo. I really like the interactions with the Esgaroth and Craftsman traits and the idea of attaching things to the quest or to a location. Well done!