Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MyNeighbourTrololo

An Esgaroth Advanture Pack

81 posts in this topic

This is probably getting out of hand, but I had a day off and I spent it thinking about this stuff. Many new cards, so quality and balance might(and will) be on the bad side.

I did more research, and found out that Esgaroth traded actvely with dwarves...

td32CHOwFrg.jpg

...elves of the woodlands...

uJf6sB-CLds.jpg

...and even easterlings! During the times of peace, of course.

jsmTi15TsQA.jpg

And here is 3 polished new environment cards(The Toll Gate also got a slight text update):

Kb7i09eDsss.jpg

OHbu-eyD5IQ.jpg

LRXYM_X-nbo.jpg

This expansion works a lot with weapons, armors and attachments in general, but lacked attachments

of its own. Here's some fine pieces of Esgarothian craft:

1a_YQJqKuP8.jpg

4vDZOD0OUa0.jpg

j96DN2JuL_Y.jpg

dqU4zL_-LvM.jpg

"The Men of Lake-town traded with Dorwinion (a human realm on the fertile coastal plain on the west shore of the Sea of Rhûn) in a unique way; wine barrels were floated down from Thranduil's caverns in Mirkwood (the Elves were known as copious wine drinkers, as found in the Hobbit) along the Celduin down to Lake-town, where they were redirected to Dorwinion. The wine was then paid for and filled with the necessary goods before being shipped back north, and the cycle of trade resumed once more."

Edited by MyNeighbourTrololo

Image limit on previuous post has ended, so I'll continue here.

Making unique characters for the Esgorath is challenging indeed, given no information about anybody living there...

3in7e10wGpA.jpg

And now, my weak point: events. I am really proud of these two though.

hyRvhfNDz30.jpg

7PPcwq7qon0.jpg

Edited by MyNeighbourTrololo

Great work trololo!! Really love some of the art and card mechanics. Some cards are awesome and some are really well done and thematic (barrels in the water is fantastic thematically). Not sure if I will actually give these cards a go or not but really enjoying reading and looking at them and this thread. Almost feels like pretend/psuedo spoilers while we wait for real spoilers/the next cards to be released.

ZanzibarLand likes this

Great work Trololo! However, I think that "Great Celebration" is still overpowered. Perhaps if you'd add something like "characters that are exhausted while GC is exhausted cannot be readied during the refresh phase"?(hangover)

Why do you think it's overpowered? It targets a specific trait(and only allies), it discards itself if someone from that trait dies or upon stage completion, it requires you to discard a costy card from your hand(which you could have needed later). This card is basically consists from drawbacks  :lol:

Once again, really awesome. You really excel at making these custom cards. I agree with whoever said they feel like these are official spoilers, they're that good.

PsychoRocka likes this

Why do you think it's overpowered? It targets a specific trait(and only allies), it discards itself if someone from that trait dies or upon stage completion, it requires you to discard a costy card from your hand(which you could have needed later). This card is basically consists from drawbacks  :lol:

I think it's fine. Discarding a card may not be sufficient cost to ready multiple allies, but since this attachment will stay in play for such a limited time and it's limited to a specific subset of allies, it's pretty balanced. I might make it cost 1 more, but otherwise I think it's fine. I'd say it's practically an auto-include for Esgaroth, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's overpowered. Of course, I'd have to test it out first for a perfect judgment, but that's how I feel right now.

I do feel like Grandmaster Blacksmith is kinda in the wrong sphere for his effect (at least the restricted limit increase part), but that might just means that you have to be more creative to include him.

I'm also in love with Studded Leather Armor, but it definitely feels like it's the wrong sphere.

I like the idea with the  Grandmaster Blacksmith being able to have 3 restricted attachments.  Cool tinkering around with some of the mechanics in not obvious ways

joezim007 likes this

When I finish everything, I'll assemble an OCTGN set and will give it some test.

Well, looking back at the original LotR LCG, there is currently 4 craftsmen in the game: lampwright, shipwright and two blacksmiths. Both blacksmith work with attachments and belong to the Lore sphere, so I don't know why you think Grandmaster does not belongs to this sphere because of his attachment-related ability...

Studded Leather Armor is a light protection intent for those going not into the fight directly, but on the scouting or else. So I thought, Spirit would be a decent fit.

Here is little something, before I go to work:

A couple of boring allies... But sometimes boredom is necessary:

GPImApYsPus.jpg

7s-u5zXfb2Y.jpg

This fella should provide some so much needed help with questing for Tactcs, even outside of the Esgaroth:

2K1HpZHyUnQ.jpg

Final attachment of the set:

8lcJYXtUzUI.jpg

And some funny events:

9_IgS-GH6c4.jpg

HOQmrY1NvIk.jpg

Generally, all that remains to be done is two events, one for Tactics and one for Lore. I am seriously considering making another round of allies though, and some neutral cards too. 

ZanzibarLand likes this

Go whole hog (meaning do all the extra events, allies and neutral cards), you've got my support.

What's the idea behind Intriguing Offer? To reuse 'when played from hand' effects?

Many things. You could return something exhausted to put into play something ready. You could use something with reduced cost but high printed cost to put into play something with really high cost. Like you can return a Citadel Custodian(which you paid 0 for) to your hand to put Gandalf into play.

I think I need to put more thought into this Intriguing Offer.

Seems pretty powerful. I think that Custodian and only a few other means will net you a free ally so it might not be overpowered. A very good tale is one method I can think of. What about sneak attack then swapping for a permanent ally, it'll cost 3 and require 2 cards but its doable.

It's only a two card combo and there are combos as useful/powerful in the game already. Sneak Gandalf is the same kind of thing. I don't think it's too powerful, maybe just a little abusable.

Sneak Attack Gandalf is bad on it's own, no need to nurture the same kind of stuff, especially within the same sphere.

Yeah, that's true. I'm interested to see the rest of your ideas.

Many things. You could return something exhausted to put into play something ready. You could use something with reduced cost but high printed cost to put into play something with really high cost. Like you can return a Citadel Custodian(which you paid 0 for) to your hand to put Gandalf into play.

I think I need to put more thought into this Intriguing Offer.

I think Intriguing Offer is perfectly fine the way it is. There are a lot of powerful combos, but in general, the most powerful combos require too many cards to make them efficient, so it's fine.

When I finish everything, I'll assemble an OCTGN set and will give it some test.

Well, looking back at the original LotR LCG, there is currently 4 craftsmen in the game: lampwright, shipwright and two blacksmiths. Both blacksmith work with attachments and belong to the Lore sphere, so I don't know why you think Grandmaster does not belongs to this sphere because of his attachment-related ability...

Studded Leather Armor is a light protection intent for those going not into the fight directly, but on the scouting or else. So I thought, Spirit would be a decent fit.

I said the Grandmaster might be in the wrong sphere because most restricted attachments are in Tactics, but you're right that his craftsman nature works perfectly with Lore, so I think he should stay there. As for the Studded Leather, the fact that it is armor just screams Tactics to me and I think it's a more powerful defense than you realize. Being able to cancel one damage every round can be immensely powerful, even at the cost of discarding a card, especially since they have more HP too. Granted, it's not a cost people can generally pay every round unless they have a huge load of card draw, but it works great for cancelling Archery damage or for using on a hero with somewhat lower defense, so they can essentially have 1 more defense. ... although, it also works great for treachery cards that damage questing/exhausted heroes, so it still kinda fits in Spirit, but so far, all armor is in Tactics: http://www.hallofbeorn.com/Cards/Search?CardType=None&CardSet=Any&Trait=Armor.&Keyword=Any&Cost=-1&Sphere=None&Unique=False&Sort=None&Random=False

ZanzibarLand likes this

The defence against archery and treachery direct damage is something I didn't think of, but which is really powerful. If this was official I would definitely include it in a lot of decks.

These latest cards are all quite interesting and unique but I don't think I particularly like any of them. Maybe you should take a break for a bit and let your mind get back to normal :P.