Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Deltmi

New Tantive IV Crew Cards...

176 posts in this topic

There just isn't much else about them that's damning to me. Both have reasonable effects, even if Leia has no range restriction. My major question is, how did this person get their hands on the Tantive a full week in advance?

So Han Solo is like getting a free focus each round. You can get the benefits of a target lock + focus without having to spend a turn focusing (or set up a synergy with another ship to get that focus). Pretty badass.

Engine25 likes this

• With a TL and Han Solo crew :
    • 2.238 hits and 0.575 crits
  • With a TL and a Focus :
    • 2.343 hits and 0.469 crits

So wait, the average number of hits (regular + critical) w/ TL/F (2.812) is actually equal/less than the average number of hits w/ just a TL Han (2.813)?  And he's actually even better than TL/F in terms of generating criticals? If that math is correct, yeah, he'll see some play :)

EDIT: I admit I'm struggling a bit to understand how they could be equal. Take the example where you roll 3 blanks--at that point, a Han TL gives you an EV of 1.5 hits and TL/F gives you an expected value of 2.25.

Likewise, if you roll 1 hit and 2 blanks, a Han TL gives you an EV of 2 hits and TL/F gives you an expected value of 2.5. 

And imagine a situaiton where you roll one hit, one focus and one blank. In that case, a TL Han has an EV of 2 and a TL/F has an EV of 2.75.

So what are the situations where a Han TL gives you a greater EV to the point that it counteracts all the rolls where he is clearly worse?

Edited by GlobeTrotting

There just isn't much else about them that's damning to me. Both have reasonable effects, even if Leia has no range restriction. My major question is, how did this person get their hands on the Tantive a full week in advance?

Many Bothans died to bring us this information... I'll leave it at that...

Tantive is likely at the distributors already and may have been sent out early to some stores.

So wait, the average number of hits (regular + critical) w/ TL/F (2.812) is actually equal/less than the average number of hits w/ just a TL Han (2.813)?  And he's actually even better than TL/F in terms of generating criticals? If that math is correct, yeah, he'll see some play :)

EDIT: I admit I'm struggling a bit to understand how they could be equal. Take the example where you roll 3 blanks--at that point, a Han TL gives you an EV of 1.5 hits and TL/F gives you an expected value of 2.25.

See my edited post, I had a little bug in my code :P

...and it was greatly over-estimating Han's utility as a Crew member.

Actual data :

With a TL and Han Solo crew : 1.991 hits and 0.493 crits = 2.484 hits/crits

"So what are the situations where a Han TL gives you a greater EV to the point that it counteracts all the rolls where he is clearly worse?"
There are none :P

However, "if you roll 1 hit and 2 blanks, a Han TL gives you an EV of 1.5 hits" is incorrect. In that scenario, a Han TL an EV of 2.
Edited by Klutz

So Han Solo is like getting a free focus each round. You can get the benefits of a target lock + focus without having to spend a turn focusing (or set up a synergy with another ship to get that focus). Pretty badass.

He's also handy for the corvette, as he gives them a Focus-like option that they wouldn't get otherwise.

Punning Pundit likes this

Many Bothans died to bring us this information... I'll leave it at that...

Well, he's your friend, and you don't even seem to trust him.

i literally joined this forum to confirm this, but they are definitely real, errors 'n' all.  i saw them both in use today,  you can believe me or not, but you shall see in about a week!

regardless, Leia seems to be of limited use outside Epic games, but i think Han is great, and will likely find greater utility as more ships are released.

As it reads, you can only spend it to Target Lock OR Focus, it doesn't allow you to do both with a single token.  It's just giving you the option to spend your target lock a different way.

"I don't want to get the CR-90, it's too expensive."

Damnit FFG! Stop putting stuff I want in really, really expensive boxes!

rym, Spike IT, Deltmi and 2 others like this

No way would they make Princess Leia a discard... she's a keeper! LOL

I hope to see another Leia card in the future.  Something like:

Metal Bikini Leia:

All enemy ships within Range 1-2 must fly toward her next round.

:D

Well, this one DOES give everyone an Adrenaline Rush... ;)

Supposing Han Solo Crew is real... Here's some math for ya!

One thing to note when you have Han Solo as a crew member : the decision to use your TL as a TL or a Focus depends on how many blanks / focus you rolled. If you have more focus than blanks, use it as a focus. If you as many or more blanks than focus, use it as a TL.

Ran some simulations, 1,000,000 rolls for each scenario, and here's what we get:

[Edit : I dun goofed. Found an error in my code - fixed it. Here's some proper results.]

If you're rolling 3 dice, here are the averages you'll get :

• No help :
    • 1.125 hits and 0.375 crits = 1.5 hits/crits
  • With a focus :
    • 1.875 hits and 0.375 crits = 2.25 hits/crits
  • With a TL :
    • 1.687 hits and 0.563 crits = 2.25 hits/crits
  • With a TL and Han Solo crew :
    • 1.991 hits and 0.493 crits = 2.484 hits/crits
  • With a TL and a Focus :
    • 2.343 hits and 0.468 crits =2.811 hits/crits

TL;DR : Han Solo Crew is... ok.

If anyone's curious, here's my dirty, repetitive code: http://pastebin.com/bJrG5GJX

I dunno, it's halfway between TL+F and only one or the other. For 2 points, that's half a free action every turn. Not too shabby.

Damnit FFG! Stop putting stuff I want in really, really expensive boxes!

Crap, time to see if my friend will want to split this large ship, too...

AdmiralThrawn and Stone37 like this

The no range on Leia is noteworthy. Likely means fake.

This doesn't prove or disprove anything. It's a crew card on a Huge ship. The Transport has Carlist Rieekan which affects all Rebel ships with no range restrictions. 

berusplants likes this

The no range on Leia is noteworthy. Likely means fake.

This doesn't prove or disprove anything. It's a crew card on a Huge ship. The Transport has Carlist Rieekan which affects all Rebel ships with no range restrictions. 

Its the lack of range plus the lack of the "huge ship only" text, which Carlist has.  I'm not sure its fake, but it is a little strange.

The ability makes sense to me, as I can definitely see Leia giving instructions to other craft over the radio.

Leia is interesting.  4 points for a one-shot ability (that does no damage) is very steep by X-wing standards, so the potential unlimited range actually kinda works, I think.  Considering:

- Adrenaline Rush is single use for one ship, for 1 point

- You probably can't get more than 6 ships in a build with Leia

- It only works for one turn, which means to get the most out of it you're going to have to coordinate red maneuvers for most of your squadron

So just to be even cost for Adrenaline Rush, you need to K-turn 4 ships in one turn.  That's going to be hard, range restriction or not.

The advantage she'll give is that it's Adrenaline Rush for ships that can't normally take EPTs.  I think the more likely scenario is you'll get it to help with 2 red maneuvers in a turn, and that's it.  At 2 points per Adrenaline Rush, I think she's not unreasonably costed.

Edit: On the flip side of the "Is it fake", the text is amazingly sloppy.  Even ignoring the typos, there's a collision on "until the end of the phase".  That text appears on Adrenaline Rush, which is fine and it needs to.  But it also needs to be on Leia's ability.  The way it reads, her ability has no time window to it.  Or the color change has no time window to it.

It's just ugly text that is going to scream confusion.  Not saying it's not possible, but there are so many problems with the card that it seems unlikely even by FFG's standards.

So while the ability seems reasonable, I'm voting fake.

Edited by Buhallin
DR4CO likes this

dont forget that she also allows you to do two red moves in a row, making the second one white.  in my mind this could actually be a better way to use her. 

But it also needs to be on Leia's ability.  The way it reads, her ability has no time window to it.  Or the color change has no time window to it.

It's just ugly text that is going to scream confusion.  Not saying it's not possible, but there are so many problems with the card that it seems unlikely even by FFG's standards.

So while the ability seems reasonable, I'm voting fake.

"At the start of the Activation Phase, you may discard this card to allow all friendly ships that reveal a red maneuver to treat that maneuver as a white maneuver until the end of the (activation) phase."

I have no idea where you're seeing these things.  I just don't see where any confusion could come from and where there are the "so many problems" with it.   Maybe you misread the card the first time?

here we go, the other two crew cards, i got the guy to photo them and send them to me.  less exciting, tbh, as they are huge ship only, but interesting regardless.

xdzat.jpg

AdmiralThrawn likes this

"At the start of the Activation Phase, you may discard this card to allow all friendly ships that reveal a red maneuver to treat that maneuver as a white maneuver until the end of the (activation) phase."

I have no idea where you're seeing these things.  I just don't see where any confusion could come from and where there are the "so many problems" with it.   Maybe you misread the card the first time?

Nope.  Consider Adrenaline Rush:

When you reveal a red maneuver you may discard this card to treat that maneuver as a white maneuver until the end of the Activation phase.

There's a duration window on that ability, because stress occurs later, so if there's nothing to make the change last it does nothing.

Yes, Leia has a duration window - but only one.  The text really needs two - one to define the duration of Leia's ability, and one to define the duration of the color change.  With only one duration, it's incomplete and opens the door to "Leia changes everything for the rest of the game" sort of arguments.

here we go, the other two crew cards, i got the guy to photo them and send them to me. less exciting, tbh, as they are huge ship only, but interesting regardless.

xdzat.jpg

And the team cards?

Pretty Please?

Edited by Aminar
AdmiralThrawn likes this

Nope.  Consider Adrenaline Rush:

When you reveal a red maneuver you may discard this card to treat that maneuver as a white maneuver until the end of the Activation phase.

There's a duration window on that ability, because stress occurs later, so if there's nothing to make the change last it does nothing.

Yes, Leia has a duration window - but only one.  The text really needs two - one to define the duration of Leia's ability, and one to define the duration of the color change.  With only one duration, it's incomplete and opens the door to "Leia changes everything for the rest of the game" sort of arguments.

How is "until the end of the phase" not a duration window for the color change?

Syleh Forge likes this

eh, there we are.  these were already spoiled on voidstate though right?  don't think the title below has been seen yet though.  there must be a few people with the CR90 already because he says it certainly wasn't him who posted the Han and Leia cards. 

hj41a.jpg

I really hate when people call something power creep with no reference to cost. Neither of these two new abilities are all that great for their cost. Han seems perfect as mini TL+F attacks at 2 points, while Leia seems kind of overcosted outside of epic games. Yes, the rebels have more unique cards. But the rebels were the main characters, and people expect cards for all the main characters. As long as all the cards are costed properly, it doesn't make the rebels more powerful, it just gives them more options.

Aminar, Smuggler and ObiWonka like this