Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JJFDVORAK

Epic play is...ok.

41 posts in this topic

Anyone ever think that epic play would work better if, somehow, instead if the small ships being moved individually that they would instead be liked and move as one, like a squad? If done in some interesting and original manner, it might work, no? All while cutting down on time?

Anyone ever think that epic play would work better if, somehow, instead if the small ships being moved individually that they would instead be liked and move as one, like a squad? If done in some interesting and original manner, it might work, no? All while cutting down on time?

Eh... It doesn't work well with the way banks work. It isn't that hard to move 12 or so ships in a turn. Especially if you simultaneously move ships that don't risk crashing(Although you really have to trust your opponent to do this....)

I've played a number of epic scale games with a friend before the transport was released using all small and large ships and found them to be a lot of fun. We tend to play in the 300 to 500 pts range over a surface about 6ft by 3ft and the games do take a long time. In a way they function as several games at once as ships are grouped together in the initial few turns and then start to consolidate.

I've found that they really force you to consider your movements carefully and encourage planning several turns as ships can break from one engagement to join another and can catch you unaware. I've also found that due to the number of ships involved the effect of lucky dice on the game is somewhat mitigated as an unlucky couple of rolls will not generally cost you as much.

I've found larger games are great if you've got a free afternoon and if you are looking for a quick or couple of quick games in the evening then 100pts are the best fit.

I'm now looking forward to getting a chance to get the transport in on the action!

Though I haven't gotten the opportunity to play an Epic game yet, they felt to me to be more focused on the strategic, while the 100pt Dogfight was entirely tactical.  Reading some of these descriptions cements that impression for me; start with task groups, each one having their own strategic goals.  These strategies define the tactics that each group use.

catachan23 likes this

Though I haven't gotten the opportunity to play an Epic game yet, they felt to me to be more focused on the strategic, while the 100pt Dogfight was entirely tactical.  Reading some of these descriptions cements that impression for me; start with task groups, each one having their own strategic goals.  These strategies define the tactics that each group use.

My transport will be arriving today, so I will be playing my first big game with Huge ships and I am really looking forward to it. 

I really like that in Epic you can break down your fleet into task groups with different goals and tactics.  Bombers with the objective of slagging the Huge ships; Interceptors with objective of flanking; and Firesprays and TIEs harrying the enemy at all turns.  Feels much more...um...Epic ^_^ to me than a standard 100pt dogfight.

Aminar, pgarfunkle and That One Guy like this

Played 200 points yesterday.

My team:

Buzzsaw Shuttle

Bounty w/ HLC and Proximity

2x Royal Guards with PTL & Targeting Computers

Soontir w/ PTL and Stealth

Vader w/ Engine Upgrade & Assault Missiles

His team:

Transport w/ reinforce title, repair droid, Combat Retrofit, gas, and backup shields

Luke w/ DTF & R2D2

Biggs w/ Shield, R2F2

Garven

Rookie X-Wing with other shield- fixing R2

Gold Sq. W/ Ion

Between the map size and the tankiness of ships, it was 90 minutes before the first ship went down. By the time we called time, it was 3.5 hours, and I had lost one Royal Guard vs his lost Biggs.

My team:

Buzzsaw Shuttle

His team:

Transport w/ reinforce title, repair droid, Combat Retrofit, gas, and backup shields

Luke w/ DTF & R2D2

Biggs w/ Shield, R2F2

Garven

Gold Sq. W/ Ion

Between the map size and the tankiness of ships, it was 90 minutes before the first ship went down. By the time we called time, it was 3.5 hours, and I had lost one Royal Guard vs his lost Biggs.

Wow. When I played we lost ships within two rounds. It might be worth consideration that opposite corners are not effective placement in epic games.

My team:

Buzzsaw Shuttle

His team:

Luke w/ DTF & R2D2

Biggs w/ Shield, R2F2

Garven

Gold Sq. W/ Ion

Seriously, Woah.  I mean, if you're playing on a 3x3 this should never ever happen.  If you're playing on a 6x3...well you should be engaging fast still cause all the first 3-4 rounds are just movement.  I've played about a dozen games with the transport and the longest one we had was 3 hours, and everyone was dead but Vader and Soontir. Most people are heavily injured by the 4th and 5th round...  I just don't understand how it took 3.5 hours, and only 2 ships were shot at enough to die..

My team:

Buzzsaw Shuttle

His team:

Luke w/ DTF & R2D2

Biggs w/ Shield, R2F2

Garven

Gold Sq. W/ Ion

Seriously, Woah. I mean, if you're playing on a 3x3 this should never ever happen. If you're playing on a 6x3...well you should be engaging fast still cause all the first 3-4 rounds are just movement. I've played about a dozen games with the transport and the longest one we had was 3 hours, and everyone was dead but Vader and Soontir. Most people are heavily injured by the 4th and 5th round... I just don't understand how it took 3.5 hours, and only 2 ships were shot at enough to die..

He put a lot of energy towards the Shuttle, which got down to one hull by the end before it got clear of the shooting area. Meanwhile, my attacks against Biggs featured more crits than I've ever rolled in my life, which were happily slurped up by Luke and repaired by R2.

He also didn't realize he could Jam or Coordinate at first, which game me more actions than I probably should have had.

Edited by PhantomFO

Remember that the transport is only a support ship, and has very little offensive potential of its own. If it's spending its actions trying to defend itself, it's not aiding the other ships in a meaningful way.

Sure it is. If they're going for the transport they're not going for the fighters.

Remember that the transport is only a support ship, and has very little offensive potential of its own. If it's spending its actions trying to defend itself, it's not aiding the other ships in a meaningful way.

Sure it is. If they're going for the transport they're not going for the fighters.

If it's making itself a bad target its letting tis teamtaes get shot.

oh god i read that as "his team's tatas get shot" in my head for a moment before i just realized it was typos.

oh god i read that as "his team's tatas get shot" in my head for a moment before i just realized it was typos.
Sorry, touchscreen keyboards blow...

Sorry, touchscreen keyboards blow...

Oh no no, no that was hilarious.