Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ZanzibarLand

Which quests are 'impossible' solo?

34 posts in this topic

So I'm trying to just knock out a heap of quests and actually put some solid hours into the game. I've hit my first snag, is Escape from Dol Guldur possible solo? Better question, is it possible trisphere solo?

I'll ask you all who are more experienced, so I can skip these and keep having fun. I'm ok with losing, even losing horribly. I just don't want to waste time if its deemed 'impossible' by consensus.

Also, what other quests should I look out for in the future?

EDIT: An after thought, do people think most quests are doable with a solid line up?

Edited by ZanzibarLand

I would not say impossible, people have done it, even I did it once or twice, but Dol Guldur solo is just annoying. Most of the games, you shuffle the decks and then lose in a round or two, without having a clue what you could have done better -- not for me.

ZanzibarLand likes this

Hi!

A trisphere Deck can win against Dol Guldur in a solo play. But there a some things, that must be in your favor. The Hero that is catched and the first three cards, they are guardening. So you must have luck.

This

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1108855/back-to-basics-a-killer-deck-using-only-cards-from

can give you an idea, how to beat Dol Guldur (only with core cards). Thats help me, to beat Dol Guldur.

Greetings

Snowhive

ZanzibarLand likes this

Yeah, this was never my concern. I do not mind difficult quests, Massing at Osgiliath has been my favourite since I got it though at first I was only winning every once in a while. Similar with Battle of Lake-town. But I do not think it is a good design when, unless luck is on your side, you lose almost instantaneously. Who likes shuffling cards more than playing them?

Side noting, without clicking at the link, I believe mono-Spirit has the best chance against solo Dol Guldur, Glorfindel, Éowyn, Frodo Baggins.

I've beaten it with several decks solo, but the only tri-sphere deck that comes to mind with which I've done so is Legolas, Glorfindel & Elrond. And yes, luck is a big factor.

All quests can be done solo - but the ones to watch out for, apart from Guldur, are hmmm. .. return to mirkwood, with only the cards up until that point of course..as it gets easier with cards after it. I won it solo, with a rohan rush deck..but not after that.

I actually cannot think of more, the designers do a good job of making it all possible, I will just say like others, many take a good draw on both player and encounter deck ;)

I think return to mark wood nightmare is impossible solo. Dol guldur has been beaten by Glaurung on his YouTube posts

I remember i had to build an a very special deck to win Rosghobel Nightmare. And i had to try several times Hunt for Gollum Nightmare with one of my better general decks.

Edited by Mndela

All the quests are beatable solo - I've beaten every released quest solo. Some are much harder than others, but that just makes victory sweeter when it finally comes.

This is almost more of a question of "which quests are worth it solo." They're all doable, but Return to Mirkwood and Escape from Dol Guldur aren't really well designed for it. As Ana mentioned, waaaay too luck dependent. You basically know if it's gonna go well or end bad within the first 2 rounds, and you can't do much to change it.

ZanzibarLand likes this

All the quests are beatable solo - I've beaten every released quest solo. Some are much harder than others, but that just makes victory sweeter when it finally comes.

This includes return to mark wood nightmare???

Yes, Return to Mirkwood Nightmare included. It isn't very pleasant and requires a very specifically built deck, but beating Return to Mirkwood solo always required a fast deck and some luck on your side.

Yes, Return to Mirkwood Nightmare included. It isn't very pleasant and requires a very specifically built deck, but beating Return to Mirkwood solo always required a fast deck and some luck on your side.

Wow. You are amazing. I don't even think glaurung has beat this quest solo

Possible, if you have the luck, you need.

You can try it with a combination of "Timely Aid", "Sneak Attack" and "A very good Tale"...if you have many of them in starting hand and have luck with the allies you get, you can win it.

And the most important thing: much luck to get no "Tantrum"-card to discard pile (or just the 10-discard one).

Dol Guldur can be beaten possibly with the best cards and the best luck, but is it beatable with a minimal card pool... say just a single core set?

Yes, with enough luck it can be doable solo with core cards only, even a single set.  Mostly you have to be very fortunate or rig it in regards to the prisoner (as Galurung did).  I did so when I got my first core set with Aragorn, Eowyn and Denethor but I was very lucky.

To me Rhosgobel is one of the hardest solo.  RTM is really tough but as mentioned a rush deck can do very well solo, as can a Dwarf swarm if you have some cancellation and go very quickly.

Wow. You are amazing. I don't even think glaurung has beat this quest solo

I'm sure he has, Glaurung is a better player than I am and from what I've read he's gone through the Nightmare scenarios pretty extensively. I had way more trouble with Escape from Dol Guldur and even Journey down the Anduin than I did with Return to Mirkwood in all honesty, it's just a matter of getting the cards you need and a few breaks from the encounter deck. =)

Dol Guldur can be beaten possibly with the best cards and the best luck, but is it beatable with a minimal card pool... say just a single core set?

The link I posteted above (http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1108855/back-to-basics-a-killer-deck-using-only-cards-from) are only cards from one core set. Ok, not 50 cards. I think it was 43 cards. I play around with that deck (and some cards from a second core set). It is strong. I beat all core and Mirkwood quests. Now I play Kazad-dûm and the Darrow Cycle with that Deck.

I struggled with stewards fear solo also...strangely enough I won it the 2nd time I tried it, and then it took a very powerful secrecy deck my friend made for me, to win it with any consistency

DurinIII likes this