Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Disgruntled

Tactician and Decoy

150 posts in this topic

Decoy is the unspoiled card from the Z-95. Tactician is from the TIE Phantom. I'm guessing someone got their Imdar Alpha kits early and busted them open.

And Decoy is far, far, far from useless. It has some very interesting tactical possibilities, and can screw up your opponent's threat assessment. Although, Swarm Tactics has been errata'd to optional.

• May = Choose
  • Range 2
Similar yes, but has more flexibility
Swarm Tactics has been updated to be a choice rather than mandatory as per the latest FAQ.

Range 2 is a biggie, though.

Tactician is cleverly worded so that the Falcon only gets the bonus in the front 90 degrees, which is a relief. The firespray, on the other hand, counts both front and rear arcs. Very nice. I think it's cool that the firespray's fire arc get at least some tiny advantage over a 360 degree turret.

Are you sure?... Thought firespray has a dotted rear arc indicating similar rules as yt arc.

I can see Decoy adding another way to successfully activate Opportunist on a high PS Pilot.  Maybe a B-wing ace with an HLC to do some damage or strip a token, followed by Wedge doing what Wedge does, buffed by Opportunist.

I can see Decoy adding another way to successfully activate Opportunist on a high PS Pilot.  Maybe a B-wing ace with an HLC to do some damage or strip a token, followed by Wedge doing what Wedge does, buffed by Opportunist.

Tactician is cleverly worded so that the Falcon only gets the bonus in the front 90 degrees, which is a relief. The firespray, on the other hand, counts both front and rear arcs. Very nice. I think it's cool that the firespray's fire arc get at least some tiny advantage over a 360 degree turret.

Are you sure?... Thought firespray has a dotted rear arc indicating similar rules as yt arc.

No, the two are very different. The best reference is how they relate to backstabber.

Nope. The Falcon can fire outside it's firing arc with it's primary weapon. The Firespray has an additional firing arc. It's why Backstabber works better against the Falcon than the Firespray. If it said primary firing arc, then that would be different.

LeoHowler and drylndsurf like this

Yes, it's a strange ruling but the auxiliary arc on the Firespray counts as a standard firing arc, but the 360 on the Falcon does not.

Imagine a rebel build with an R3-A2 and a B-wing with Tactician crew.

Easy double stress a turn.

That X-wing with R3-A2 also has a Flechette Torpedo.  Triple stress.

ObiWonka likes this

Am I the only one who thinks it's strange that Tactician works at Range 2 Only?  I guess its no different than Range 1 or Range 3, its just unusual that something is Range 2 and not also 1 or 3.

Am I the only one who thinks it's strange that Tactician works at Range 2 Only?  I guess its no different than Range 1 or Range 3, its just unusual that something is Range 2 and not also 1 or 3.

I guess they wanted to nerf it a little.

I saw it as a way to give Rang 2 something unique (beyond no bonus attack/defense dice).

Engine25 likes this

I guess they wanted to nerf it a little.

Fair, but is it any harder to keep something at range 2 than range 3 or range 1?

just imagine how hard it is going to be to get the large ships at range 2,i have this feeling that Tactician will rarely be used except maybe on a B-wing once Rebel aces comes out.

A thought. What do the rules say about something be at range 1 and 2? As in the base resides at both... I'm assuming the lowest range is always picked because measurement is from closest point to closest point. But I almost feel like it should be up to the attacker what range they are firing at...

But that would really change the range 2-3 Ordnance(something they could probably use anyway...)

A thought. What do the rules say about something be at range 1 and 2? As in the base resides at both... I'm assuming the lowest range is always picked because measurement is from closest point to closest point. But I almost feel like it should be up to the attacker what range they are firing at...

But that would really change the range 2-3 Ordnance(something they could probably use anyway...)

Closest point (in arc, when it's relevant).

Decoy Could be very useful for Garven Dreis too because his ability is when he spends it.

Garven with R2-D6 + Decoy

Wedge-Opportunist/r2 anyone

maybe add in another PS6+ pilot

Also Roark's ability being R3 hitting a decoy which could then extend it by R2 again means a nice R5, Or even just using Roark on a Green Squad with Decoy bumps the Green Squad to PS 4 and Roark to 12

LeoHowler and Sekac like this

Already answered, but...

"'At' means the closest part of the target’s base touches that range section. For example, when attacking a ship whose base touches both Range 2 and Range 3, that ship is at Range 2."

That means you cannot use Tactician on a ship straddling Range 1 and 2.

Edited by WonderWAAAGH

The only problem with decoy is that you're exposing the high PS pilot to getting killed before he shoots. Of course you'll want to use decoy when the high PS can't get shot at. 

Ok, just thought of a potentially decent application for Decoy. Phantom/Jake/Turr counter.

You could spread your guys to cover maximum arc with your Decoy ace in the middle. That way you have maximum opportunity to shoot before the Phantom can ACD, or before Turr/Jake can Boost/Barrel out of arc. Similar to ST but more flexible. Eg:

........…………..Y-Wing, Ion

B-Wing…….…………….………B-Wing

……...............Wedge, Decoy

Edited by McBain