Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hrathen

How many Z-95 are you going to buy?

62 posts in this topic

For most of the ships coming out in wave 4 I think I will buy 2 or three ships.  They are elite ships that cost a lot of points.  So even if I wanted to I couldn't field too many of them.

But the Z-95 can be as cheap as 12 points equal to an academy pilot.  I have 8 TIEs just so I can run a full TIE Superswarm, and get as many ships on the board as possible if I so choose.

But according to what I have read and my own interpretations the Z-95 is not going to do as well in swarms.  It seems more like a cheap auxiliary a good choice for missiles, and to fill in that half a ships worth of points you might have after you buy all the things you were wanting.  If that is the case I don't really need to buy more than 2 to 4 of these.  That being said, can I really resist the chance to try to make a rebel swarm work, and if I can't will it be worth the $60 for the second 4 ships that I will likely not use more than once?

I can see using a couple as cheap missile boats, or even a cheap support ship - the fact that their high PS pilots are as cheap as a generic A-wing is pretty cool (I can see airen being popular). I only got 2, I don't foresee wanting more than that. I guess we'll see once they are out :)

3 or 4 tops. I don't see myself ever wanting to run a 7+ ship Z-95 swarm, but a 3-4 ship mini-swarm alongside a flagship like the Falcon, sure.

mazz0 likes this

I was and still am a big fan of the whole rebel swarm idea and I'm only getting around 3 when they are released. If I need more I can just get em later down the road.

Yea, the 2 evade means these things will get gunned down FAST. Yea, your shields may absorb a crit or two, but the sheer weight of fire will rip them apart more so than a tie swarm. 

While not as economical the rebel swarm would be served best with A-Wing's with the chardaan refit. 15 for the A is > 12 for the TIE/LN but you should still be able to get about 6 in there. Maybe only 3-4 refits and some A's can take missiles, or names. This would nab you an extra shield over the tie swarm but would leave you numerically at a disadvantage. But 3 evade and 2 attack vs 3 evade and 2 attack would be a long drawn out battle =p

As for the original question, 2 for me will probably be plenty. I still feel they are more like budget A's with a worse dial, so they would only work best as a points filler rather than an outflanking roll.

oddeye likes this

I'll get 6. I normally get enough to build a 100 point list out any given ship, other then the large ones.

With 6 you can run Craken, Blount, and 4 Tala squad, with 5 Assault Missiles. Not that the list will always work, but when it does work against a tie swarm it will be glorious. :D

Osoroshii likes this

I'm going to buy them all! Wha ha ha! *evil grin*  *evil finger pyramid* :P

No seriously, probably 4-6. Rebel swarm with options.

5 to begin with, just cos it seems like a good number. If I really enjoy swarming them, I may go to 10 for epic purposes...

I preordered 4 and I'm fairly sure that is enough, I have never run all 8 of my TIEs (or even more than 5 of them at a time) and if I want a larger swarm type build I can use a mixture of Z-95s and A-wings, especially after rebel aces is available.

I ordered five figuring that if I have 3 base ones with Assault Missiles and Weapon Failsafe and both uniques I could easily get 100 points.  Plus a lot of the upgrade cards are useful in other builds as well.

I typically get at least the max needed for a 100 point squad (other than the HWK, which I "only" got 4 of), so 8 Z-95's it is. I am going to custom cut my own foam in a few weeks, and I will be cutting out spaces for at least 12, so I can add more later without having to change the foam. I'm also getting 4 of each of the other wave 4 ships.

Edited by MajorJuggler

I'm amused. By the number of people that feel the need to buy large quantities of a single ship all at once. I'm going to buy one. Then in a couple weeks I'll probably buy another, and so on for the next year until practical experience shows me that I don't need anymore.

LeoHowler likes this

until practical experience shows me that I don't need anymore.

My experience is that running 4 to 8 of a given ship as a list is quite fun. No reason to wait 6+ weeks to buy something when I know I'll play with at least that many.

I actually went with two although I considered three and I am not someone who normally gets extra ships.  I can easily see where I might want to use two of them as "fill" to give a squadron some more ships but then the two named pilots actually look like they have some sweet uses without costing too much.  Unless Epic is a consideration I really wouldn't go beyond six but because of how well I think Rebels mix and match I think two or three is a great plenty.

I'm amused. By the number of people that feel the need to buy large quantities of a single ship all at once. I'm going to buy one. Then in a couple weeks I'll probably buy another, and so on for the next year until practical experience shows me that I don't need anymore.

I also have 2 Corvettes on order, and you can bet the first thing we will do is have a massive Epic battle... planning on house ruling one of the Corvettes as Imperial, 2-3 players on each side with 150-200 points per player, and then watching the fireworks.  :D

Edited by MajorJuggler

I used to think this too but you never know how fast they will sellout. From my perspective it is better to have it and not need it rather than needing it and not being able to get it.