Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Conandoodle

If you could give the new guy one piece of advice .. what would it be?

56 posts in this topic

As the title states .. I'm new to the sport, have read some tutorials, forums, etc. but thought I would throw an invitation out there to offer some advice. Maybe a trick you picked up, a mistake you made, a resource that has been invaluable, so on and so forth.

So my friends, what one piece of advice would you pass on to the guy who just joined fighter school?

Get a better paying job... you're gonna need it!

Remember unique pilot skill on their cards, the amount of times people forget those (i always do!) actions and spend time getting used to templates so you have a rough idea where you'll end up.

Although if flying a turreted ship just fly onto asteroids ALL the time, seriously, you'll be doing anyone who flies TIE Interceptors a massive favour and you'll be liked universally! ;-)

*note only the middle option is serious! although it does cost a lot when you really get into the game!

AdmiralThrawn and Conandoodle like this

Try every ship in all types of combos. The overall meta has changed a lot over last couple of years. With new waves its always worth changing things up.

The main thing for starters is movement. As been stated already just fly a few different ships around some asteroids try going maximum and minimum speeds see where they end up.

Conandoodle likes this

The best thing you can do for yourself is to learn to fly. 

I have started several people this way, and they can usually avoid the common pitfalls of hitting asteroids or blocking themselves afterwards. 

Set up a table slap full of asteroids and coke cans and whatever else, and practice flying the ships through the field. When you first start out, lay out the templates before you pick, so you can get an idea of what they will do. 

As you get better, make the spaces smaller, try flying multiple ships together. 

If you can make it through a whole game without losing actions or flying through / landing on asteroids, you will be head and shoulders above a lot of X-Wing players. 

If you want to complicate the exercise to really improve your game, add enemy ships in the mix and try to get them in arc without getting in theirs while dodging asteroids. 

Conandoodle likes this

Above all else have fun.  

Listen to advice on meta gaming, but don't be afraid to fly anything and everything in every configuration.

If you want to mess around with a Y-wing fully loaded with proton torpedoes even though the meta says ordinance is not worth it, go on ahead and do it.

There is a time and place for learning the meta and prepping for a tournament, and there is a time to fly Luke, Wedge, Porkins, Biggs, and all Red and Gold squadron pilots and pretend it is the battle of Yavin.

Also, fly what you love, even if it is a little different from the current meta. This game is fairly balanced and just about any ship can be competitive if used right.

So remember have fun!

Fly casual and don't take anything too serious.  It is just a game.

Start small and see what you like to play.  This will help fight the urge to over buy.  You really don't need everything (unless your competing) but it is so cool having everything.  You are however better off starting with two core sets.  Don't be afraid of dumb combos, they're often quite surprising.  Read the rules, subtly will get you.

Oh and what everyone else said too.

Welcome to the fray.

Edited by Ken at Sunrise
Conandoodle likes this

Some great and varied advice. Thank you all very much.

I will definitely be practicing the flying component. Great tip regarding setting a field and navigating through it.

Was great to hear from some other newcomers too.

Keep the advice rolling in people. It is clear there are a few other rookies out there who might benefit from this.

Shooting is almost entirely chance based due to dice, however you have almost complete control over your maneuvers so learn those well by flying various ships in simulations around the tabletop as others have said.

I've got to a point where although i may not roll well enough to get kills and avoid getting killed, i can fly certain ship types insanely well - formation ties and tie-ints through dense asteroids for example.

Once you've figured out the flying the rest is just a case of trying different combinations of squadrons and upgrades until you have the most fun (this will vary by player and their local community).

The key to doing well is formation flying. Learn how to do it by watching some youtube videos then practicing the moves on your own. Also, asteroid placement is surprisingly important. In casual games I've just placed asteroids down randomly, but in tournaments you and your opponent will alternate placing asteroids. Learn what asteroid formations help you and impede your opponent. With those two things behind you, you'll be flying like Baron Fel in no time. Good luck recruit, and may glory be to the Empire!

Just one? Man, that's hard:

- Get ready to have some fun;

- But two starter sets;

- Practice flying something in formation (a group of TIEs is great for this), seeing how things change as turns/banks occur;

- Practice estimating in your mind the length of the templates and the adjustments that barrel rolling or boosting can lead to; 

- Learn the dials of ships you could be up against (or at least get something you can refer to);

- Understand that low PS pilots have strengths other than just their cheapness (they're great blockers, for example); 

- More than any other game I have played, get into the mindset of trying to predict what your opponent is going to do and how to react to that in advance, whilst simultaneously realising a good opponent will be doing exactly the same.

- If you're a bit of an old cynic like I am, make sure you let the game rekindle the awesomeness that is Star Wars.

Finally, if you don't have a really active scene near you, or can't participate as much as you might otherwise want, look into  'Vassal' - an awesome PC board game emulator for which X-Wing not only works extremely well, but has a very active player base.

Welcome aboard and have fun - it's great.

Edited by Imagined Realms

First - Sometime you gamble on a fart and you win sometimes you lose,

Second - there is no killer list that is the be all end all list try out all the ships and find out your style and what you like.

Slow down your purchases.  Honestly.  I first picked up the game about a year ago, during the W1 and W2 shortages, before the dark times, before the emp... I mean... Before the reprints came out.  I had quite a bit of fun searching around different LGS and B+N trying to find new ships.  Which meant as I got a new ship, I was totally excited to play with it and couldn't stop thinking of ways to try it out.  This was the same for when I got my 2nd Y wing and what not.

But then W3 hit and I decided that I was going to buy everything the moment it was released so I wouldn't have to deal with out of stock issues anymore... 8 months later, I still haven't played with any of my bombers, and I kinda miss getting new stuff "added" to my collection.

This has the added benefit of allowing you to figure out how a specific ship flies before you move onto the next ship.  For example, the X wing loves his 1 speed straight and bank, but knowing when to use the 3 speed bank and turn is what separates it from a B wing.  Likewise knowing when to barrel roll or 1 turn makes a B wing unique from an X wing.  The Y wing loves to just fly in circles with the 2 turn and use his turret, but the occasional 3 bank and 3 turn is what keeps its options open over the HWK (as someone who's recently spent quite a bit of time a HWK instead of a Gold, I'm really starting to miss that white 3 bank).  Don't become too reliant on a single ship because then other ships that fly differently will start to feel inferior.

And obviously, have fun.

Sergovan, Klutz and AdmiralThrawn like this

Above all else have fun.  

Listen to advice on meta gaming, but don't be afraid to fly anything and everything in every configuration.

I have won several games on a better-than-social gaming level (aka - not in a local tournament, but not a "friendly" game at home) with lists that would DEFINITELY not be considered "Tier 1" tournament lists. 

The most wonderful part of this game is that you honestly can do just about anything you want as long as you are good at it. 

There are literally thousands of viable builds in this game, it is simply a matter of your piloting and strategic skill with a healthy dose of how bad the dice do / don't screw you. Relying on tricks or heavy synergy can sometimes bite you when it doesn't go your way for a few turns, but it can also mean winning with some off the wall out-of-the-box thinking.

Learn the game at your own speed and use your own experience as a guide. You will know your strengths and weaknesses much better if you build upon your own experience rather than rely upon what you read online.

Also, "pants optional" tournaments are generally to be avoided at all costs.

Punning Pundit and Conandoodle like this

Not sure if it's been covered, but:

9 out of 10 times, having more ships in your squad is better than having more upgrades. I used to load up ships in my squad with all kinds of upgrades, then lose miserably. Now I only use a few upgrades across the entire squad and do much better. Each ship only fires once a turn, so having 4 shots is typically better than having 3.