Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jo Jo

Munitions Failsafe...fail

42 posts in this topic

Is this card going to be worth putting on any secondary that has 4 attack or greater? How often are you going to completely whiff with four attack dice? The only two ordinances I could see this card be worthwhile is the Ion missiles and fletchette torps. Not that 1 point is a huge investment, but if you put it on Protons, then you have a 5 point proton torpedo. That could very well give you one hit.

Also, does it work with Bombs?   

Aminar likes this

You could target lock the hits (Homing Missile) hoping for eyes or blanks.... :)

No on bombs.

Flechette will be the main focus and on munitions used against high Agility (why?) ships.

Edited by InvestFDC

my initial thoughts were the same, not really sold on it as a upgrade. Though I will say there are more new expansions and cards coming out. I'd bet that sooner or later there will be more than a few decent combos with it as more upgrades are released.

I think that the best use of it will be on bombers with multiple ordinance to maximize the effectiveness.

Additionally if your firing a 5 point assault missiles at a swarm the odds of landing a hit on 4 attack die without focus against 3 agility die with focus is slightly more than 50%, for 1 more point I would like to have another go next turn if it misses the first time round..

Ribann and Galactic Funk like this

Simply put, unmodified attacks are terrible, especially against high agility targets or targets with multiple tokens.  If you are forced to shoot at either of these, you will likely whiff your missile.  Even next to Captain Jonus, I have had my assault missiles miss during the critical alpha strike against ships like interceptors or focused TIE fighters.  The fact that you have to spend your target lock to activate the attack is a big part of the reason ordnance isn't competitively popular.  It's expensive, and it isn't a sure thing because you can't modify the dice without a second action or a support ship.  Now, you have a 1 point insurance policy option.  To me, it seems like an attempt to make ordnance more competitive or to coax players into loading more than one missile onto some ships.  It has helped me already in social games, so who knows.  Definitely glad we have the option at least.  

Of course, you run into the problem that while it can be very useful against high agility targets like TIEs (and Phantoms especially), it ends up being much less productive against B-Wings and YT-1300s and Imperial Shuttles.  Which makes it a meta call for total value.

Is this card going to be worth putting on any secondary that has 4 attack or greater? How often are you going to completely whiff with four attack dice? The only two ordinances I could see this card be worthwhile is the Ion missiles and fletchette torps. Not that 1 point is a huge investment, but if you put it on Protons, then you have a 5 point proton torpedo. That could very well give you one hit.

Also, does it work with Bombs?   

You don't have to wiff, you just don't have to connect. If you get two hits and they evade both, munitions failsafe still works. Also in my first epic game, I fired assault missiles at a Falcon who had 0 agility thanks to a critical, next to an x-wing and a b-wing that both had 1 HP left. Because of some jamming garbage and other factors, I had to fire my AMs without a focus… i literally only needed one hit result to destroy at least two of the three, possibly all of them depending the results. blanks and focuses all 'round.

Probably a good investment if you're up against phantoms

I would just wait til I got a good shot of them decloaked. The few times I have used torps or missiles, they tend to hit hard against 2 agility ships or lower. Just make sure they don't have an evade action on. 

If I had a bad roll on a torpedo or missile that would maybe do 1 damage from modifying concussion or proton dice or from a focus token I think I would elect to not use for a chance at a better hit next round. I've also whiffed too many assault missiles to overlook munitions failsafe.

Its an insurance policy. 90% of the time you have it, you'll wonder why you wasted the money, the rest of the time you'll e thanking the stars its around.

also it's nice to know that 1 squad point might mean that you didn't just blow 8 squad points in one ship.

zhentil and Engine25 like this

I'll side with the "cheap insurance" crowd.

When you fire ordnance you want it to hit.  If it doesn't you've now wasted all of those points, and likely a TL, on something that did you little good; I say "little good" because maybe tokens were spent avoiding the attack.  When you look at something like an Assault Missile where you REALLY need that hit because you want the secondary effect (splash damage) to activate that miss is devastating.

Engine25 likes this

Is this card going to be worth putting on any secondary that has 4 attack or greater?

Against Ys, Bs and Falcs, no. The vast majority of the TIE family, however...

Think of it as a 1 point (delayed) Gunner, on a small ship, that works once for every Missile/Torpedo you have on said ship. If you have already invested in ordance, you'd want that ordnance to do something, this upgrade increases the chances of that (and this game is often about chance).

Edited by Keffisch

You know what it's a good combo with? Flechettes. You can still miss with it, and it will still create stress on the target. That, to me, is totally worth it. Gonna abuse that fact with Horton Salm. :D

berusplants likes this

I like that idea, but it feels like a gimmicky version of Hobbie with the stress droid. Though... hmmm... both maybe.... muahaha.....muahahahahhhhahah. Okay, I'm better now.

Rocket Launcher likes this

I'm gonna run it on Hobbie with flechettes and HOPE he misses every time. If he hits, I can't double stress anymore... :(

and it's value goes up with more ordnance, as you're paying 1/2 a point for two missiles - hello  y-wing, b-wing, tie bomber....  and even less for more missiles -  while you might ne'er load a tie bomber with 4 missiles now - given flechette torps and ion pulse missiles - you could more realistically fully load a bomber -  move on into epic and it's even less crazy.

and it's value goes up with more ordnance, as you're paying 1/2 a point for two missiles - hello  y-wing, b-wing, tie bomber....  and even less for more missiles -  while you might ne'er load a tie bomber with 4 missiles now - given flechette torps and ion pulse missiles - you could more realistically fully load a bomber -  move on into epic and it's even less crazy.

It's only got 2 missile slots you know...

It's only got 2 missile slots you know...

2 missile and 2 torps, which is what was mentioned.

I personally will use the failsafe with assault missiles.  But it works like a gunner, insurance.  If you take it and never need it you are already doing pretty well.  If you don't take but need it you have wasted a lot of points.  I am excited for this card.  (especially for my Jonus 4 bomber build)

It's insurance on a few specific missiles with secondary effects that matter more than the damage. But it doesn't help anything that already significantly boosts its accuracy(like Proton torps.) Personally I think adding to the cost of ordnance doesn't help make it better or more strategically reliable.