Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dfunkateer

Can you own too many ships?

68 posts in this topic

2 Core Sets + 2 of each small ship expansion (except for TIE Fighters, which you may want 7 or 8 of and the one TIE Advanced - there's just one Lord Vader, so...) + 1 if each large one is an excellent start!

On top of that I'd add a couple of bombers (they're much nicer when flown in 4's), a couple of Rebel Aces (so you get total of 4 B's and A's each), an Imperial Aces box (or two, for OCD reasons!)  plus one of each huge ship.

With these you will have about 400 points (Team Epic) worth of ships alone on each side, before upgrades. This way you can also play with a lot more people who don't have a collection of their own but still like the game. Which is nice!

Anything above that is only good for collectors, modelers/painters or tournament players (who need 4 shuttles for the AS upgrade). 

Edited by Iffo

Do FFG need to bring out a deluxe edition with acrylic templates and tokens and a dozen or so ships? I've noticed nearly everyone getting serious about this game inevitably buys more than one core set.

Joe Boss Red Seven likes this

Do FFG need to bring out a deluxe edition with acrylic templates and tokens and a dozen or so ships? I've noticed nearly everyone getting serious about this game inevitably buys more than one core set.

YES.

yes they do need to. I want 1 (at least), right now please.

I my opinion I've over bought.  I prefer something that encourages multiple types in a game rather than swarming Y or A wings.  I've actually removed a few models from my collection.  The largest number is the main line fighter X-Wing and TIE/LN.  Then it depends on the type.

I suppose "enough" is making sure you have enough of each type of ship to where you could run the cheapest generic pilot of that ship as many times as possible to fit into a 300-point squadron for epic games.

That would be:

25 TIE Fighters

16 TIE Interceptors

18 TIE Bombers

14 TIE Advanceds

12 TIE Phantoms

10 TIE Defenders

14 Lambda Shuttles

9 Firespray-31s

14 X-Wings

16 Y-Wings

17 A-Wings (20 A-Wings after Chardaan Refit)

13 B-Wings

11 E-Wings

25 Z-95 Headhunters

18 HWK-290s

11 YT-1300s

And then for the huge ships, enough to be legal in an epic game considering the epic points allowed in an epic game:

2 GR-75 Medium Transports (3 if you want to play the mission included with the Rebel Transport)

1 CR-90 Corvette

[edit] MSRP on all of that, if you get 12 Core Sets to get 24 of your 25 TIE Fighters and 12 of your 14 X-Wings, and if you get 20 A-Wings, and if you get 3 Rebel Transports, and if you get 1 X-Wing Expansion Pack (even though you'd end up having more than 14 X-Wings after all the ones from the Core Sets and Rebel Transports — you'd have 16) would be $4,380.

That was a fun read, because I could see it in my head...and what a nice picture it makes too!

^_^

Danthrax likes this

I personally have (or rather, had) enough ships for both sides to field a 100 point force, more or less.

After I recover my fleet, I plan on getting even more X-wings and Y-wings so I can do the entirety of Red and Gold Squadrons. I'll be decorating all my X-wings in those colors when I get those decals finalized.

I personally have (or rather, had) enough ships for both sides to field a 100 point force, more or less.

After I recover my fleet, I plan on getting even more X-wings and Y-wings so I can do the entirety of Red and Gold Squadrons. I'll be decorating all my X-wings in those colors when I get those decals finalized.

:D

00001066.png

where on earth did you get that picture? I am still laughing at it. I had to set it as my desktop background. roflmao

what is this too many ships nonsense you speak of?? silly question! next! ;-) lol

*currently having withdrawal symptoms because not bought a ship since yesterday

There is a sad truth to this statement. :D

This is my ADVICE, plesae don't take this as absolute truth.

These are the ships that I won't max out on in terms of wanting to field maximum number

Tie Advanced - I think it's safe to say that this ship is not that good at the moment, get one for Vader though :)

HWK - Another one of for me. It's has it's places in some 100 points build and in 200/300 I can see passing along focus or PS12. The non-unique pilots are not so good though.

A-Wing - I know some people run multiples of these. You usually see them in BBBAA builds most often (if you look at the big picture). After Rebel Aces this will probably change though because of so much more fun stuff. Since you now get Push The Limit x2 in the Imperial Aces you don't need it for this anymore. I would go with 1 A-wing and wait for Rebel Aces.

A straight down list:

(2)-3 Core sets - Good start for 100 points, give you 3 X-wings and 6 Tie Fighters. Nice to have for Epic

1 X-wing expansion - Too good pilots to pass up on

1 Tie fighter expansion - 6-7 Tie fighter swarms with Howlrunner

Y-wing - I think one is enough if you don't wanna run some kind of Rebel Swarm with them

1 Tie Advanced -  Already explained

1-2 Falcons - do you wanna run dual falcons? Otherwise get one. I dont see a bunch of these working too well in 200/300 since they die pretty fast to concentrated fire.

2-3 Slaves - Wanna run 3 Bounty Hunters in 100 point games?

1 Tie Interceptor - I would only get one now that Imp Aces is out.

A-wing explained

HWK - Explained

1-3 Lambads - this is quite hard  I think. 2 and 3 Lambda builds are pretty **** good when flown correctly. I would probably start with max 2.

2 B-wings - Since we now know that Rebel Aces will contain B-wings i would go 2.

3-5 Tie Bombers - A lot of nice builds contains 3 Bombers and focus on ordinance. You can run swarms though with Howlrunner + 5 Bombers

2 Imperial Aces - 4 Royal guards with PTL is just TOO much fun.

This is mostly focused on 100 points.

For epic you will probably have to add some stuff.

But I think this is a decent starting point.

Shinren likes this

Does anyone know of a XAA club? i need help!!!

My name is Bob and its been one week since i bought a x-wing :ph34r:

what is this too many ships nonsense you speak of?? silly question! next! ;-) lol

*currently having withdrawal symptoms because not bought a ship since yesterday

There is a sad truth to this statement. :D

there totally is, especially after typing that, about an hour later to be exact, I was unpackaging my transport and 1st ever b-wing that came in the post! then yesterday I finally got my second Imp Aces through... Couple that with an update from FLGS that restock of B's and A's I placed a month ago should be in this weekend then the wife really has cause to complain I'm spending too much!

Yes. You CAN own too many.

Some people do get carried away. Some folks are just like that. Sure, you might argue "But if they like it is it really too much?" Yes, it might be.

I only play rebels and want a fair amount of flexibilty to choose from. Working towards this at 1 ship/week to keep things interesting;

4X, 2Y, 2A, 2YT, 4B, 2HWK, 2E, 4Z and a Transport. If I like epic maybe a Corvette.

Personally, I'm going for:

3x TIE Fighter (1 core set, 1 expansion)

1x TIE Advanced

2x TIE Bomber

6x TIE Interceptor (2 expansion, 2 Aces) OCD alert!

0x Firespray (I just don't feel that it is an Imperial ship)

1x Lambda Shuttle

2x TIE Defender

2x TIE Phantom

3x X-Wing (1 core, 1 expansion, 1 transport)

2x Y-Wing

2x A-Wing (1 expansion, 1 Aces)

2x B-Wing (1 expansion, 1 Aces)

1x Hwk

1x Falcon

2x E-Wing

2x Z-95

1x Transport (mainly for the X-Wing to be honest)

I don't plan on playing in tournaments, so I might be missing a few key combinations, such as a TIE swarm, but amongst me and my friends, this will give me every possible combination I would personally want to play, without getting silly and spending ££££s.

I myself think that owning many X-Wings and T.I.E. Fighters is ok.

Trying to reflect what the movies depicted is my motto.