4 Xwings

2 Bwings

2 Awings

1 Ywing

1 HWK (need 1 more)

2 Falcons

1 Transport

1 Corvette (ordered)

3 Headhunters (ordered, will order 3 more)

Rebel Aces (ordered)

8 Fighters

5 Interceptors (including Aces)

2 Bombers

2 Advanced

2 Firesprays

1 Shuttle (no desire for any more)

1 Defender (ordered, can't see using more than 1)

1 Phantom (ordered, ditto ^)

You should see my Warhammer Fantasy and 40k armies (Blood Angels, Space Wolves, Orks, Dark Angels, Chaos, Tau, Lizardmen, Orcs, Warriors of Chaos), Cryx from Warmachine, Skorne from Hordes, and I bought a ton of stuff from the Robotech Tactics Kickstarter.

Edit: I need help.

Edited by Sanchez

When just starting out, if the budget is limited then I would put a starting goal to buy 1 of every ship.  This nabs you every unique pilot and upgrade card, allowing you to explore every combo in the game.  The nice thing that they added with later expansions was more cards of popular upgrades (like 2 x push the limit in Imperial Aces).  Then play with that (a lot) and figure out what you like or what you're missing.  That's what I'm doing so far and it has been both fun and cost effective... relatively :P

If you play casual games with friends and you end up missing an upgrade card then feel free to just write the name on a piece of paper and use that as a fill in.  It's only in competitions that you absolutely need to have the original card.

Oh and buy plasctic sleeves for your cards.  An employee at a local store told me this story: "I was too cheap to buy 6$'s worth of sleeves... it cost me 60$ worth of cards for a single mishap".

I would advise buying slowly.  The biggest reason being that they have fully gone down the road of "re-releasing" existing ships with new paint schemes and new cards - Imperial Aces, Rebel Aces, and the X-Wing in the transport.

If you buy too many ships right away, then suddenly these new versions come out, you buy those, then you might have more ships then you need for most situations (ignoring epic games).

The only thing I've bought more than one of is the Firespray.  There were a few I was considering buying more of until all these re-releases came out so I can get those instead.  So now the only thing I might buy more of is another Tie fighter and/or tie bomber.

HERESY !!!

There is no such thing as too many ships.

Besides, some where some third party company with a hard on for kickstarter cash is gonna make a death star the size of a

Small playground and we will all eventually be flying 30 plus ships om movement trays and they will add a new phase to the game, something like the force phase.

After that will be chairs in the shape of turbo laser turrets and you take turns by shooting each others ships off the death star.

FFG needs bulk package of x wings and ties.

As a Father of two who wants to stay married, I have set a personal limit. Other than the Four B-wings and obligatory Millenium Falcon I fly exclusively Imperial for financial reasons. A buddy of mine, who is not hindered by the same finacial constraints, has purchased enough supply so that he is guaranteed to play no matter who shows up. For him, he doesn't want to be in a situation where someone is new to the game or didn't expect to play and has left their ships at home. He can field at least two-hundred points per side which is great for those who can't afford all the ships.

there is no enough. with epic rules there is really no enough but iam done with 3 firesprays dont need moar ;P 3 veteran instincs are all i need ^^. just sayin its good to have 3 of each small ship.

first it looks cool on the board if u have a small group with a leader and 2 wingmen.

second u have all the upgrade cards from the expansions pack times three ;P.

I have 3 xwings (including the transport variant) 3 tie fighters, 3 interceptors (including imperial aces) and one each of all other ships except slave 1.

Speaking as a very casual player who prefers rebel squads, up until this weekend when I played my first tournament I felt pretty comfortable with the amount of ships I owned. It was enough that i could have a nice squad of xwings with an awing or something and my wife could fly 3 tie fighters + tie advanced or interceptors or something. 

Then in the tournament, i fought nothing but tie swarms (and a 4 xwing squad). I knew what they were from reading them here but had literally never fought more than 4 ships at once. It was....a learning experience. 

As such, I am now considering picking up at least another 2 tie fighters (more realistically another core set so i can get a 4th xwing as well) so i can at least practice against 5+ ship squads and possibly 2-3 z95s when they come out as a way to possibly field more ships. I would get another awing and bwing as well but with rebel aces coming I'm content to wait. 

I would definitely say 2 or more each of the ships you want to fly is recommended (i think its also recommended to buy an xwing and tie expansion if you haven't because they come with different cards than the core set) and unless you have opponents to practice against with large fleets you will want to consider picking up some cross faction models as well. 

Edited by Cryix

I suppose that one could only buy rebel or imperial ships beyond the core set, but how else are you going to get your friends hooked when you can only put one side of the war on the board :)

Rebel

6 X-Wings (4 from core sets, 1 expansion, 1 from transport)

2 Y-Wings 

2 A-Wings (3 total when Rebel Aces shows up)

2 B-Wings (3 total when Rebel Aces shows up)

1 HWK-290

1 Falcon

1 GR-75 Transport

1 Z-95 (pre-order)

1 E-Wing (pre-order)

1 Tantive IV (pre-order)

Empire

9 Tie Fighters (8 from core, 1 expansion)

2 Tie Advanced

3 Tie Interceptors (2 from Imperial Aces)

2 Tie Bombers

1 Lambda Shuttle

1 Slave I

1 Tie Defender (pre-order)

1 Tie Phantom (pre-order)

Then there's Fantasy Flight card sleeves, Litko tokens, custom templates, range gauges, Battle Foam, and CorSec play mat...

Everyone repeat after me: "Hello, my name is _______, and I'm a X-Wing Addict."

Seriously though, these ships are beautiful, and the products are really well made. My transport sits on my desk because I love the detail :)

Edited by bbalak

This game has collectible value to me.  I'm interested in having multiples of ships beyond the capacity of 100point games, just for the sake of it.  A squadron of Y-Wings just looks so cool!!

I have to agree with the sentiment of there being as much as you, the buyer, are comfortable with. 2 is a great starting point for some, and an ending point for others.

...and then you may get comfortable enough to buy 12 of everything. Repaints, starters, aces, etc. There are also the different upgrades that come with them. All I will say is that the 27 beside interceptor in my signature is *not* a typo

Edited by UltimateZing

I own too many ships

5 x-wings (2 core + 2 expansion + transport)

3 Y-wings

6 A-wings

1 Falcon

4 B-wings

3 HWKs

1 transport

8 TIEs (2 core + 4 expansion)

9 interceptors (5 expansion + 2 aces)

2 TIE advanced

2 Firesprays

4 Bombers

2 Shuttles

I think a more reasonable and cost-effective collection would look like

2x core set

1 xwing expansion

1 Y-wing

2 A-wings

2 B-wings

1 HWK

1-2 tie expansions

1 TIE advanced

1-2 interceptor

1 imperial aces

1 Firespray

1 Shuttle

1-2 bombers

add ships as you like but owning multiples of ships starts to hit diminishing returns really fast

2 each for rebel backbone ships (X-wing, b-wing) and 1 of everything else can be good enough

Imperials buy ships as desired but unless you intend to play swarms I have never put more than 4 or 5 ties on the board.  Imperials are tempting since you can try to swarm with bombers or use multiple interceptors or firesprays but you should really consider if having those options is truly worth the cost to you

Putting Epic aside, I think there are definitely ships that you won't use in large numbers. 

TIE Advanced - Though I love Vader, I don't see a lot of three TIE Advanced lists out there.  I think you are probably okay with 1

Putting Epic aside, I think there are definitely ships that you won't use in large numbers.

Yes. HWK-290 is another one IMO. I have 1 and don't plan on getting more.

Cubanboy likes this

Yes. HWK-290 is another one IMO. I have 1 and don't plan on getting more.

Agreement I would say no more Hwks.

Another way to consider bare minimum for a ship might be the number of unique pilots that it has. The idea here being that perhaps you want to run Jake Ferrell, Tycho Celchu, Arvel Crynyd, and whoever the fourth one ends up being all in the same list, you would be able to, be it for standard or epic. At this point, it would mean being X-Wing/Interceptor heavy for Epic, but that's not a terrible thing.

I try to keep things balanced and collect for both sides as evenly as I can, due to the fact I'm sometimes providing all the ships for a game. As for too many, if you can have an enjoyable game with what you've got, then you've got enough. But another ship or two is always good.

I have no intention of going to some of the extremes that some guys do. Simply can't justify the expense at this stage.

I have a nice sized collection (see sig). I won't use most of them at any 1 point, but I figure it's like a friend of mine said. It's like having a condom and not needing it. It's better to have it and not need it rather than not having and needing it.

Cheers

The only time you can have too many ships is if it prevents me from buying a few more.

Having said that I am holding myself yo no more than 100 points of any given ship, which I have yet to fulfill for some ships and will have to break to get the transport. I am still not sure I will buy it though.

The real rule is to stick to your fun money and never threaten your rent/mortgage or utilities. If you are climate controlled, fed and online, go to town.. Who needs gas right?