Sign in to follow this  
2P51

New EoE book Colonists are here

The fact that Colonists are getting a Sourcebook next is indicative of a healthy game. If they had announced Smugglers or Bounty Hunters, that might have meant EotE was getting backshelved. This announcement suggests the best is yet to come!

I would LOVE to see Hapes make an appearance!

EDIT: also, bring back the gun of command!! :D

I hope they bring back Hapes but leave the Gun of command in Legends land. The thing was like something out of a bad 1930s scifi script, almost as bad as the Suncrusher.

You wouldn't be saying that if I had the gun of command....

Seriously the thing was only created because they decided Han needed to Mind Trick Leia to get her to go with him. He can't use the force so they invented a handy dandy Mind Tricking gun for him to use.

Edited by RogueCorona

The fact that Colonists are getting a Sourcebook next is indicative of a healthy game. If they had announced Smugglers or Bounty Hunters, that might have meant EotE was getting backshelved. This announcement suggests the best is yet to come!

Could you elaborate?

Not to step on toes, or put words in ones text box, but with the iconic and much demanded careers such as bounty hunter and smuggler being released later, DavenQuint is probably thinking along the lines of FFG being confident that they can release the "less popular" careers, because of this confidence in their game, and that they don't feel like rushing out the popular books because they are expecting a decline of sales/interest.

Not to step on toes, or put words in ones text box, but with the iconic and much demanded careers such as bounty hunter and smuggler being released later, DavenQuint is probably thinking along the lines of FFG being confident that they can release the "less popular" careers, because of this confidence in their game, and that they don't feel like rushing out the popular books because they are expecting a decline of sales/interest.

Makes sense.  I suppose my judgment is coloured 'cause I have no doubt my group'll be buying all of 'em.

Edited by Col. Orange

Could you elaborate?

Yeah, makes sense I guess.

I might look at it though the eyes of my party and experiences and in my group the Colonist is the most popular of the careers...

They seem to be hop scotching back and forth with the releases.  Explorer then HG now Colonist.  I'm saying it's probably about 60/40% BH to Smuggler the next book I think.

Makes sense.  I suppose my judgment is coloured 'cause I have no doubt my group'll be buying all of 'em.

130517100906618.jpg

I haven't picked up a new FFG Star Wars product in weeks...I'm starting to get the shakes...I'm hoping we have a new book come out for 1 of the 3 lines every three weeks, or sooner!....On a rotating cycle would be good for those that don't want to have to buy something that often....that MIGHT satiate my addiction. Really can't wait to get this in my hands...and the AoR core rulebook....and the new AoR adventure...and the FaD beta....keep it coming FFG!  :D

I think the RPG you are looking for is called "drugs", lol.

Could you elaborate?

I'd like to know what data you have on popularity?

Also, it's somewhat disappointing to me that the heavy combat specs are perceived as "most popular."

I agree there has been no poll I've seen to judge one way or another the career/spec breakdown.  I've said before not only would it be interesting from a trivia stand point but I would think it would be instructive to FFG as well as a metric for judging what they might need to focus more love on.

Also, it's somewhat disappointing to me that the heavy combat specs are perceived as "most popular."

From what I can tell in my own gaming and listening to the experiences of others, it's simply true that smugglers and bounty hunters get the most love in the roleplaying community. Perhaps it's because they're easily perceived as the most "iconic," or maybe it's the way that new roleplayers in particular gravitate towards them because it's a part if the game they can easily get their head around. "I wanna be a smuggler" and "I wanna be a bounty hunter" are very easy (read: "Star Wars-y") character choices, and for someone new to RPing, easy/familiar choices are attractive because they are trying to involve themselves in a whole new world, much of which is unfamiliar.

There are definitely people who want to play other careers, especially old hats at RPing that just want to try something "different," but the release schedule was determined by FFG even before the game wwas announced, so they decided (likely with some market research; they're not stupid!) what careers were likely to be most "popular" (that is, "desirable") for a variety of reasons.

So for the people who have played smugglers in other systems and settings and wanted to go Explorer (say, me for example), we were gifted with the opportunity to expand our horizons much earlier! But really, as others have alluded to, this is just a smart marketing decision by FFG who are confident in their robust system and product line to "save the best for last," as it were, and meanwhile try to entice players into trying the "less obvious" career choices, since what player doesn't love more options to make their character awesome?

I'm sure there are others who would disagree with FFG's assessment of the RPing community, but I'm equally sure they've done their research and, IMO, have arrived at a sensible conclusion.

This is all evidenced only by their product release schedule and conversations they've had on the Order 66 podcast. Take from it what you will :)

We'll probably see Grans in this book. 

We might also get official stats for Arkanians as well, (there already was on in Enter the Unknown).

Maybe Togruta?

You could be really lazy and put Bith in here for the entertainer specialization, but I think the cooler move would be to bring in Ortolans. 

We might also get official stats for Arkanians as well, (there already was on in Enter the Unknown).

Maybe Togruta?

You could be really lazy and put Bith in here for the entertainer specialization, but I think the cooler move would be to bring in Ortolans. 

Nothing screams colonists like Ithorian herdships.

Maybe Togruta?

Yeah, but Ithorians are statted out in AoR. Granted, they're different games. Maybe we will see them here for EoE. Interesting thought. It would be quite disappointing though. I almost guarantee Bith will make an appearance here.

Yeah, but Ithorians are statted out in AoR. Granted, they're different games. Maybe we will see them here for EoE. Interesting thought. It would be quite disappointing though. I almost guarantee Bith will make an appearance here.

Just like the EtU Duros were in AoR. Oh wait... As much as it sucks from a new content perspective, I bet each book from here on out will have at least one thing that was printed somewhere else. As long as they keep it to a minimum it shouldn't be too terrible and they can keep stretching out the new content before running out of ideas or power creep sets in.

Actually, I like the Ithorian idea as one of my top picks. If this was a betting game my two top picks would be Ithorian and Bith with a third to be determined.

As much as it sucks from a new content perspective, I bet each book from here on out will have at least one thing that was printed somewhere else.

That is a disappointing idea. =\

Yeah. As if anyone is going to stick to just one of the games.  :D

[EDIT: re-reading this post, it looks like sarcasm, but it totally isn't. I'm 100% agreeing with you.]

Edited by I. J. Thompson

As much as it sucks from a new content perspective, I bet each book from here on out will have at least one thing that was printed somewhere else.

That is a disappointing idea. =\

"Get used to disappointment."

- Westley aka The Man in Black, The Princess Bride

FFG probably anticipates that there are people that won't be buying ever Star Wars book, and will sticking to one or two of the product lines rather than buying material for all three.  I know a few folks that have zero interest in EotE, and will be sticking primarily to Age of Rebellion with the remote possibility of the Force & Destiny core rulebook when it comes out.

And they've already repeated material between EotE and AoR (Duros and Driver spec in Enter the Unknown, several talents for DC's Demolitionist spec first appeared in AoR's Saboteur), so it stands to reason that they're going to repeat material between the two books as they feel the situation warrants and is appropriate.  After all, if you've got perfectly good material from one product line that fits the theme of a future supplement from a similar product line, why not make use of it?

> I finally get to play a physicist, neurosurgeon, test pilot and rock musician!

Seriously, I know how this will end:

Prettiest girl in the room will say:

"It's a little better than Gamorrean Opera, but not art like Jatz!"

"Test Pilot? Didn't you crash one of Teemo's ships too? Wait, when we get your ship back aren't you supposed to be the pilot? I have a bad feeling about that."

(You are on your own for the last two specs!)

Edited by Streak

Could you elaborate?

Awayputurwpn summed up my thoughts and intent quite well.