Sign in to follow this  
2P51

New EoE book Colonists are here

That would be the equivalent of them rejecting Chiss or the Corellian subtype of humanity because they are too similar to humans so if Neimodians are passed I doubt it will be due to their similarities with Duros

Neimodians might get passed over for their general lameness though.

I mean the species frontman is Nute Gunray; arguably the most lame character in Star Wars.

I think Nute is a coward and a creep as much as Bib Fortuna was... I think a Neimodian might be a lot of fun to play.

Gungans, now there's a different story!

It's funny, when this was announced, I was sitting in my friend's kitchen telling him that Colonist was never going to get the same love as any of the other careers. My Rodian doctor will be glad to see me wrong.

And I wonder if it's possible to spec Performer as a journalist? I was just reading over Suns of Fortune and got to the little bit about the Coronet Times. I think it'd be fun to play an intrepid reporter traveling the galaxy; receiving tips on news stories would be a very interesting way to railroad send the players racing across the galaxy.

I think Nute is a coward and a creep as much as Bib Fortuna was... I think a Neimodian might be a lot of fun to play.

Gungans, now there's a different story!

Nah man! Bib Fortuna was sleezy, but sleezy can be fun to play. Nute was just lame all the way around. He is being completely taken advantage of by Sidious at great personal and professional expense. Nute is either too cowardly or too stupid to do anything about it. He just bumbles about being completely useless. Fortuna, might play the role of Jabba's henchman, but it seems to me that Bibby's got a role of subtle manipulation going on. Notice how he attempts to intercept Luke's message for his own gain and later has Jabba's ear (well, whatever Hutts have) in the throne room. I can't help but think Fortuna would put a knife in Jabba's back if it suited his personal agenda.

As much as I hate Jar-Jar (and I really do), he at least has some amount of character development. He starts as a banished idiot and at the end of PT he has become a war hero. Is he stupid fodder for children? Absolutely, but he at least does something besides stand around being dumb and wearing a silly hat.

I think nute was on the same level as Bib, perhaps even higher. He was a viceroy if you recall.

Perhaps he just got in over his head. Also, he is a coward indeed, but that doesn't mean we have to look down on his entire species... Plus playing a Neimodian doesn't mean playing Nute Gunray.

I think nute was on the same level as Bib, perhaps even higher. He was a viceroy if you recall.

Perhaps he just got in over his head. Also, he is a coward indeed, but that doesn't mean we have to look down on his entire species... Plus playing a Neimodian doesn't mean playing Nute Gunray.

That same argument can be applied to Gungans. Jar-Jar was explicitly the black sheep of his species, considered an outcast and idiot until fate gave him some powerful friends. The other gungans were a fierce if not advanced or particularly savvy (I hesitate to say they weren't intelligent or cunning, but they seemed to take things at face value to easily in the films at least) warrior race.

That would be the equivalent of them rejecting Chiss or the Corellian subtype of humanity because they are too similar to humans so if Neimodians are passed I doubt it will be due to their similarities with Duros

Neimodians might get passed over for their general lameness though.

I mean the species frontman is Nute Gunray; arguably the most lame character in Star Wars.

I ob-aject! There is NO pwoof. This is an outrage!

That same argument can be applied to Gungans. Jar-Jar was explicitly the black sheep of his species, considered an outcast and idiot until fate gave him some powerful friends. The other gungans were a fierce if not advanced or particularly savvy (I hesitate to say they weren't intelligent or cunning, but they seemed to take things at face value to easily in the films at least) warrior race.

Oh, I don't just dislike Jar-Jar... I dislike all Gungan's in the movie. They all act the same way and are basically one dimensional warriors where as Jarjar and the king are buffoons. I find no redeeming values in them whatsoever but still wouldn't object to them being included. At the end of the day, they are a Star Wars race.

It's funny, when this was announced, I was sitting in my friend's kitchen telling him that Colonist was never going to get the same love as any of the other careers. My Rodian doctor will be glad to see me wrong.

And I wonder if it's possible to spec Performer as a journalist? I was just reading over Suns of Fortune and got to the little bit about the Coronet Times. I think it'd be fun to play an intrepid reporter traveling the galaxy; receiving tips on news stories would be a very interesting way to railroad send the players racing across the galaxy.

Maybe toss Reporter into the Bounty Hunter tree since they're essentially after people for money and tracking down sources and whatnot seems more akin to bounty hunting than performance arts.

Just what I was thinking.

Hunting for scoops and getting paid for them can be much akin to Bounty Hunting indeed!

And I wonder if it's possible to spec Performer as a journalist?

I'd a thought Politico would be a good spec for a journalist.  Right skills (and Well Rounded if you think they need others) and talents.

Edited by Col. Orange

Oh, I don't just dislike Jar-Jar... I dislike all Gungan's in the movie. They all act the same way and are basically one dimensional warriors where as Jarjar and the king are buffoons. I find no redeeming values in them whatsoever but still wouldn't object to them being included. At the end of the day, they are a Star Wars race.

Aren't most the alien races depicted in the movies one dimensional? And isn't that an exactly Star Wars-y thing traditionally?

Call me crazy, but since there is a human on the cover, and the past splat books have had whoever was on the cover included as a race, I am assuming there will be some new X-human variant as one of the races.

So I'm thinking human variant race since that's what's on the cover, but what's the planet in the background of the Marshal?  SoF was easy since we knew it was a Correllian book.

Aren't most the alien races depicted in the movies one dimensional? And isn't that an exactly Star Wars-y thing traditionally?

Oh yeah, I am aware of that... It is just that one dimension I dislike in this case.

I would LOVE to see Hapes make an appearance!

EDIT: also, bring back the gun of command!!

:D

I hope they bring back Hapes but leave the Gun of command in Legends land. The thing was like something out of a bad 1930s scifi script, almost as bad as the Suncrusher.

Edited by RogueCorona

I would LOVE to see Hapes make an appearance!

EDIT: also, bring back the gun of command!! :D

I hope they bring back Hapes but leave the Gun of command in Legends land. The thing was like something out of a bad 1930s scifi script, almost as bad as the Suncrusher.

You wouldn't be saying that if I had the gun of command....

Call me crazy, but since there is a human on the cover, and the past splat books have had whoever was on the cover included as a race, I am assuming there will be some new X-human variant as one of the races.

Or perhaps he is a Happan...

I could actually see that, but you'd think they'd show a noblewoman, what with them being a matriarchy and all.

Corporate Sector Human?  Nah, not different enough, and they'd show an Entrepreneur, not a Marshal.

Probably just cool art (which it is!) and not representative of a new sub-species.  Oh well.

Well, I knew they would do a performer - too iconic for the setting not to, and I had a good hunch about the marshal, though I would have called it (sector) ranger. The entrepreneur however, I was thinking would be an animal handler.

Now to speculate on the species.

I think Marshal makes a lot more sense for colonist than a sector ranger since a Marshal could focus on one colony while a sector ranger has a much broader area of responsibility.

That's fluff, not crunch. Just like a big-S Smuggler doesn't have to engage in little-s smuggling. I think the crunch for either a local sheriff or a system- or sector-wide police officer would be very similar.

Or perhaps he is a Happan...

No more local-grown versions of humans plz :P

Edited by Kshatriya

If we really wanted to read too much into that picture we'd notice that he's holding two guns. I think it's a new sub-race human who has a knack for being a gunslinger and has a racial ability to use two guns better at the same time. Or that Marshal has gunslinger talents, but only while being watched over by droids. OR, they are droid remotecontrols that look like guns, like the gun of command mentioned earlier... There are two droids, one hovering over each gun...

Edited by Jamwes

I was thinking the same thing.

*sigh*

If we really wanted to read too much into that picture we'd notice that he's holding two guns. I think it's a new sub-race human who has a knack for being a gunslinger and has a racial ability to use two guns better at the same time. Or that Marshal has gunslinger talents...

But maybe we can hope for something along these lines.

Edited by Simon Fix

I for one, am stoked about this book.  I'm also marveled by how many of us guessed correctly at some of the specializations in it.

For those who sound b*tthurt over, "but it's not *this career's* book", I'd just advise us to remember to that FFG is always playtesting new books, ALWAYS.  At all times!  While we're in the bathroom... at work... watching tv...  ALWAYS! 

FFG never sleeps...

Edited by CrunchyDemon

I haven't picked up a new FFG Star Wars product in weeks...I'm starting to get the shakes...I'm hoping we have a new book come out for 1 of the 3 lines every three weeks, or sooner!....On a rotating cycle would be good for those that don't want to have to buy something that often....that MIGHT satiate my addiction. Really can't wait to get this in my hands...and the AoR core rulebook....and the new AoR adventure...and the FaD beta....keep it coming FFG!  :D

Edited by Brother Bart