Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
2P51

New EoE book Colonists are here

186 posts in this topic

I can finally run the pop diva and her entourage campaign that I've been tossing around in the back of my mind for months!

Also... now I must make my Edge of Macross game conversion. Yay Performer spec!  :D

49600452.jpg

Liloki likes this

No mention of signature abilities.  I only say this because I think they were specifically mentioned in the previews for the past couple books.

Me too, but the fact that the Marshal is a combat spec raises my worry about the watering-down of Careers and the disincentivization of dipping into Specs out-of-Career because the Career starts to contain everything you could need.

I don't see how much difference that makes. It's a pretty paltry difference to buy in/out of career. 

Me too, but the fact that the Marshal is a combat spec raises my worry about the watering-down of Careers and the disincentivization of dipping into Specs out-of-Career because the Career starts to contain everything you could need.

I don't see how much difference that makes. It's a pretty paltry difference to buy in/out of career. 

I don't like the idea of each Career being heavily all-inclusive for every Skill or niche need you could possibly have. I think it dilutes the themes of Careers to do so. But the new Colonist specs look pretty thematic and awesome!

2P51 likes this

I'd guess that the Marshal is a "combat spec" as much as the Big Game Hunter or Scoundrel is. One skill and 3–4 talents to back it. 

Jamwes likes this

IIRC the "Sector Ranger" idea was more combative, and then there's the idea floating around about very social Bounty Hunter characters. That's the main source of my worry, I suppose it's largely unfounded in actual releases :P

2P51 likes this

When I think of a low level Entrepeneur in EOTE, I'm thinking Tom from Parks and Rec..

It's not Flouride, it's TDizzle! 

Well, I knew they would do a performer - too iconic for the setting not to, and I had a good hunch about the marshal, though I would have called it (sector) ranger. The entrepreneur however, I was thinking would be an animal handler.

Now to speculate on the species.

I think Marshal makes a lot more sense for colonist than a sector ranger since a Marshal could focus on one colony while a sector ranger has a much broader area of responsibility.

Tear44 likes this

When I think of a low level Entrepeneur in EOTE, I'm thinking Tom from Parks and Rec..

It's not Flouride, it's TDizzle! 

As others have brought up before. I am interested in seeing the difference between the Trader and Entrepreneur.

The way it reads it sounds like they are expanding on the Sound Investments talent in Quartermaster in AoR.  I would assume like we have seen in EtU and DC, these new specs will include some new custom talents as well related to each's role.

swiftdraw likes this

Look guys, the point is that the word "Trader" fits that paragraph perfectly. You can't replace "Entrepreneur" with "Doctor" or "Assassin". That's the point of the speculative criticism, in that showing that the two specializations will likely be very similar.

I don't have all the facts in front of me, but aren't we talking about the difference between Watto and Donald Trump?

Donald Trump and Watto are both entrepreneurs. With different amounts of capital.

DavenQuint likes this

Well, I knew they would do a performer - too iconic for the setting not to, and I had a good hunch about the marshal, though I would have called it (sector) ranger. The entrepreneur however, I was thinking would be an animal handler.

Now to speculate on the species.

I think Marshal makes a lot more sense for colonist than a sector ranger since a Marshal could focus on one colony while a sector ranger has a much broader area of responsibility.

A Colonist spec is as tied to a colony as a Smuggler spec is to smuggling. I try not to take the terms so literally.
Col. Orange and DanteRotterdam like this

There are so many other games, etc. I want to put my money into, but every time I check the FFG page, I know that I will be spending that hard earned game budget on more Star Wars stuff.

Also, if FFG follows last years pattern, we should be seeing some sort of Campaign/System sourcebook next.  Although now that AoR is out, who knows where the support will go each month...

AgentShadow likes this

Lando is not a trader. Lando is definitely an entrepreneur (among a great many other things).

He's a Gambler and I hope it's in the Smuggler book.

I just don't see what gambling has to do with smuggling...maybe gambler could be part of entertainer? I don't know. IMO, there's not really a need to waste a specialization on gambler, when it's not really necessary. That can be a social encounter or something similar.

Lando is not a trader. Lando is definitely an entrepreneur (among a great many other things).

I just don't see what gambling has to do with smuggling...maybe gambler could be part of entertainer? I don't know. IMO, there's not really a need to waste a specialization on gambler, when it's not really necessary. That can be a social encounter or something similar.

By now it seems that almost everyone has excepted that the smuggler career should have been called the scoundrel career instead...

Haggard, kaosoe, Jamwes and 1 other like this

And what does stealing have to do with Smuggling?

Look guys, the point is that the word "Trader" fits that paragraph perfectly. You can't replace "Entrepreneur" with "Doctor" or "Assassin". That's the point of the speculative criticism, in that showing that the two specializations will likely be very similar.

No the point is judging something based on noun choice is incredibly premature.

Does that mean it's too early to start bitching about how overpowered the Signature Abilities are?

sonovabith, Aservan, 2P51 and 4 others like this

Does that mean it's too early to start bitching about how overpowered the Signature Abilities are?

I'm thinking probably a smidgen, as soon as that preview of them is up though it is game on and feel free to have a total meltdown..... ;)

Desslok and kaosoe like this

I'm thinking probably a smidgen, as soon as that preview of them is up though it is game on and feel free to have a total meltdown..... ;)

Yeah, but make sure to first make up the rule that fits with the tiny description in the next preview and then go completely mental over what you, yourself, just made up. Also do not forget to tell everyone how the game is now broken and that it is "unfair to the other careers that don't have these abilities yet" demanding that FFG release them straight away! ;)

Edited by DanteRotterdam
kaosoe and Desslok like this